Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A new way (for me) to stop my pedaling - You??

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-12, 07:18 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Early morning ride trying to beat the smoke from our (now 10) Colorado wild fires.

All of a sudden, I could no longer turn the pedals. Generally, I sort of work my way through something like this by back pedaling, etc., but absolutely no luck this time.

So, I stopped (actually I had no choice but to stop) and looked carefully. This bike has panniers with some supporting straps, etc. Well, one of the straps had come loose, and had totally wound itself around the rear cogset. I got the bike upside down, and in just a couple of minutes was on my way again.

So, what has caused you to stop pedaling?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-24-12 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-24-12, 07:21 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And here we thought you avoided anything mechanical.
Way to go!
Old 06-24-12, 07:25 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
And here we thought you avoided anything mechanical.
Way to go!
Do I get a Union Card or a Master's Certificate?
Old 06-24-12, 07:30 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
On a very old bike, a Flandria, my whole rear axle seized, that stopped me quick.
Old 06-24-12, 07:34 PM

Bikes: 2002 Lemond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Poorly adjusted rear derailler allowed the chain to shift over the largest sprocket into the spokes - locked up the rear wheel but manged to bring it to a stop without taking a spill. Didn't know it then but the chain gouged the spokes which later caused one to break.
Old 06-24-12, 08:43 PM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Based on the subject line...what are you selling?
Old 06-24-12, 08:43 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnTP
Poorly adjusted rear derailler allowed the chain to shift over the largest sprocket into the spokes - locked up the rear wheel but manged to bring it to a stop without taking a spill. Didn't know it then but the chain gouged the spokes which later caused one to break.
I had exactly the same thing happen, with exactly the same results. That was a long time ago, when I was in college, riding my Peugeot PX-10. Thankfully hasn't happened since, but then I'm very conservative with the low gear limit screw since those days (and esp. since I don't use spoke protectors).

Rick / OCRR
Old 06-24-12, 08:56 PM

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe, '73/60 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Failure to adequately tighten rear quick release. Taking off from a stop the rear wheel slipped against the chainstay and locked up. Since I was clipped in I made an embarassing spectacle in the middle of the street, skinned knee and sprained wrist at mile 35 of 70 mile ride. Lesson learned not forgotten yet.
Old 06-24-12, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
1. Earlier in the year, I ran over an Arkansas tumbleweed, and it got all in the works and seized up the rear wheel.

2. I bonked on Memorial Day. Could not turn the crank at all. Tried walking, and that didn't work, either.
Old 06-25-12, 12:38 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Chain suck. Did a long ride on the Tandem and it was muddy. I mean muddy. Wasn't long after we got into Granny that chain suck came in. Locked up the pedals completely. Had changed the middle and big rings in the last year but did not think granny needed changing. Did a lot of the ride in low cadence struggling up the hills in middle ring after that.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-25-12, 04:02 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
There was the time last summer when I stopped alongside the road at a friend's beach to chat with them. Out came the earbuds that come up from my back waistband. Forgot all about them and took off for town in a blitz to beat the approaching dusk.

The buds cord wrapped up in the spokes and yanked the buds out of my helmet straps and freaked me out. For a split second there was simply no answer to this world tragedy but to halt all forward motion.
Old 06-25-12, 04:45 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
"The wall" on Brasstown Bald.
Old 06-25-12, 06:23 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I dropped my chain on yesterday's recovery ride. It didn't stop me from pedaling, just from making any forward motion while doing it.

The odd thing is it's the first time that's ever happened to me.
Old 06-25-12, 06:53 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Carrying a tool box on the handle bars of my 60's sting ray knockoff and dropping it into the front spokes. Instant trip over the bars and onto the gravel in asphalt roads and entered the world of hurt.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-25-12, 07:32 AM

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of a 30 foot dog leash into the rear wheel. Dog was fine.
Old 06-25-12, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
In 1990 on a loaded touring bike doing a small climb into a town called "Cave-in-Rock" the rear derailleur went into the spokes and I fell over. I was covered with coal dust from coal trucks passing by and must have looked pretty funny. Got it straightened out and still have it on another frame.

Have also had the chainsuck from mud on the mtb and even on the road from worn drivetrain. That gets your attention, you downshift, start to spin it up, and it just stops.
Old 06-25-12, 09:46 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Shoelaces are my go-to guys when I want to stop pedaling. They'll wrap around a pedal and suck your foot into it with no trouble at all.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-25-12, 10:21 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 948 Posts
Just this weekend. I misshifted from the large chainring meaning to go to the #2, hit the #1, quickly shifted back to 2 and the pedals stopped. Two links were really stuck on #1. Had to really pull to get them off.
Old 06-25-12, 11:42 AM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I did not ride yesterday. We have the FL wet season (also known as "summer") of wild fires. We get our wild fires in the dry season (also known for some reason as "winter"). Tropical storm Debbie has been dropping inches of rain on us here for the last 30 hours. It isn't so bad but unless I want to clean the drive train after the ride, it is not ride.
Old 06-25-12, 02:50 PM

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a city street ride a couple of years ago I had the front mounting bolt on the rear fender come loose, allowing the fender to rotate forward and under the rear wheel. When the fender struts met the seat tubes, the rotation of the fender, and the wheel (!), stopped and I went skidding and down. Embarrassing, but no real damage except the fender was toast.
Old 06-25-12, 03:20 PM
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In had a sweatshirt wrapped around my handlebars and when it got sucked into the wheel I had a unique view of the world as I was stuck in a stoppie, fortunately I was able to climb off the bike while the back wheel was still pointed straight up.
Old 06-25-12, 07:23 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I forgot to take the chain off the chain hangar after fixing a flat at Easter Hill Country tour.

When I stood on the pedals to take off I bent the chain hangar on my 92 Paramount, which makes me infinitely sad as that is about the only divot on the entire frame.
Old 06-25-12, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
While riding my road bike this winter, I ran over some twigs and other debris in the road. A piece of "something" jammed between my wheel and fender causing the rear wheel to lock up. Because there is not enough room for conventional fender hardware on that bike, the fenders are held in place with zip ties. When I was checking the bike for damage, I realized that the trailing edge of the fender just folded up accordion fashion against the rear wheel. I pulled the fender out and replace the broken zip ties with some spares my wife had in her seat bag. What I did not notice until I got home was the damage to the tire. We had hit speeds of 30+ mph on a downhill section about 2 miles after the "fender bender". It was my lucky day

Old 06-25-12, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Hold my beer and watch this!

Old 06-25-12, 07:59 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My new way isn't mechanical, it's bio-mechanical. I popped my left Achilles last week.

Durn-burn it!!! After a wonderfully snow-free winter, and me in the best shape I've been in a few years, and now... life in the super slow lane. Crutches and a splint-boot for the three weeks up to the operation, then elevate for 2-3 weeks. And THEN ssssssllllllllooooowwwwwly build up again and hope it holds.

I've had the debris-in-freewheel derangement, and the large-twig-stuck-in-fender, and the oops-I-forgot-to-tighten-the-back-QR-enough, but I have to say that I would reserve this new way to stop pedaling maybe for my worst enemy, if I ever have one of 'em besides myself.

Sorry to veer slightly off topic, Denvr!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.