Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Official Thread for the 50+ 5th Annual Ride

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-09-12, 04:01 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Well, I sure hope it is official.

Jim from Boston has already mentioned the Boston area.

I would suggest that we might also consider the west coast?? We have a whole bunch of folks from that area - Yen, Mr. Beanz, etc., etc.

Anyway, this is the start. I hope this thread does not get lost!!!!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-09-12 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-09-12, 04:43 PM
Banned.

So far our annual rides have been

1. Colorado
2. New York
3. Michigan
4. Tennessee

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-09-12 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-09-12, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Well, I sure hope it is official.

Jim from Boston has already mentioned the Boston area...
Here is the URL for this year's event, July 28:

https://massbike.kintera.org/faf/home...ievent=1028971

and map of the vicinity, showing the Century loop:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1315768

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-09-12 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-09-12, 06:45 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Wow, that is too soon. We can't get free that quick but I'll still offer to help any I can. Let me know, please. Y'all have a great time and ride safe.

Bill and Monica
I think Jim from Boston is only referencing this years event on July 28th so we can see what it is like, with the intent that it would be July, 2013 when we would join for the 5th annual ride. At least I hope so.
Old 07-09-12, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Wow, that is too soon. We can't get free that quick but I'll still offer to help any I can. Let me know, please. Y'all have a great time and ride safe.

Bill and Monica
My post about the Boston ride is the link for this year's ride, with the anticipation that next year will be similar.
Old 07-09-12, 07:56 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My post about the Boston ride is the link for this year's ride, with the anticipation that next year will be similar.
I was hoping that is what you were suggesting. I won't have any vacation time until next year!
Old 07-09-12, 08:38 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I hope I can make this one.
Old 07-11-12, 05:27 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
denver, great idea in kicking the discussion off early! It takes us all a while to come to a consensus, or at least a frozen plan.
Old 07-11-12, 09:03 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A west coast event would be great. California is a big state, lots of places to ride here - we could ride all the stages of the entire Tour of California.

My first choice on the west coast would be Oregon.
Old 07-15-12, 06:06 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 47 Posts
One thing that definitely was an issue this year was the location. Either coast would mean planning early, or would exclude riders from the other coast.
One thing that came up during the discussions this year was the geographical center of the country, which by my crude reckoning (drawing a line for corner to corner), is just west of Kansas City. Being from the midwest, I could consider whatever came up as a option since I'm midways away from anyplace.

Marc
Old 07-15-12, 07:35 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by irwin7638
One thing that definitely was an issue this year was the location. Either coast would mean planning early, or would exclude riders from the other coast.
One thing that came up during the discussions this year was the geographical center of the country, which by my crude reckoning (drawing a line for corner to corner), is just west of Kansas City. Being from the midwest, I could consider whatever came up as a option since I'm midways away from anyplace.

Marc
OTOH, there just aren't a lot of folks in Kansas who are in the BFN 50+ - actually, there aren't a lot of folks in KS, period.

What is most important is someone who will take charge and organize things, no matter the location. Without that, there will be no ride, be it KS, MA or CA.

Another consideration is to alternate around the country, not expecting all folks to be able to attend all years, but giving the oportunity every few years. north, south east, west, central.
Old 07-15-12, 08:12 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think getting ideas for the next gatherings is a great idea. I'm already making plans for a ride in 2013. I'm hoping to do "Bike Florida" in March 2013. I did it in 2010 and a few Dayton Cycling Club friends are wanting to do this ride....the plans are in the making Anyone else in the forum planning to do this ride?

I would love to do a west coast ride but would need sufficient time to do the planning.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-15-12, 12:23 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts

Marc
My biggest issue this year was time of year. With Mrs. RF teaching school, at least as a couple we can't do the training or take the trip until late June. Even more so for a driving trip to teh West Coast. Would love to do it, but ...

I guess consideration for climate tolerance is part of the planning Beverly is referring to.
Old 07-16-12, 05:47 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Hopefully somebody can pick up the ball and put together a ride on one of the coasts. I could definitely make a trip out of it.

Marc
Old 07-16-12, 07:21 PM

Marc
Regarding distances to the Annual Ride, what has been our experience in the four previous Annual Rides? I don't know about the First and Fourth Rides, but on #2, seenoweevil drove over 900 miles one way, the Kentons about 250 – 300, the four from Ohio travelling together about 500, and myself about 370 (according to Mapquest). Other riders were mostly local. For the Third Ride, I drove about 800 miles one way, but also as part of a family visit to Michigan. The two Ohioans traveling together drove about 215 miles. The other riders were all from Michigan, though notably Irwin cycled there, about a 2 -3 day ride as I recall.

I don't know if anybody has flown with a bike, and that seems a bit much for a three day weekend at a somewhat arbitrary venue. So I suggest that about 500 miles is one way an approximate maximum distance to travel for an Annual Ride.

I have bookmarked this thread for future reference, since the summer of 2013 is so far away.
Old 07-16-12, 07:37 PM
Banned.

For the first ride, Artmo drove to CO from FL, Bev drove from Ohio, Will Dehne from IL, Yen from CA, JPPE from the Carolinas, I believe, Billydonn from Omaha and the Foxes from Denver
Old 07-17-12, 11:00 AM

For the first ride, Artmo drove to CO from FL, Bev drove from Ohio, Will Dehne from IL, Yen from CA, JPPE from the Carolinas, I believe, Billydonn from Omaha and the Foxes from Denver
Wow! A few of those trips seem to be over a thousand miles, I reckon. If I had no a family wedding in Tampa, Fla he weekend before, I might have tried to make the Fourth Annual Ride in Tennessee, about 1100 mils (two day drive), if the family permitted. I guess the Force is stronger in the Fifty Plus Forum than I originally thought.
Old 10-01-12, 07:04 AM

I recently had this link forwarded from somebody. Since it is pretty much the center of the country, it's worth considering for next year, but it's late in the year (this coming weekend for this year). For those who think the area is a field of tumbleweed, Kansas City is a metro area of 2-3 million, and a very interesting place to visit. Add this to consideration with the Boston ride suggested already.

Marc
Old 10-01-12, 12:50 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Suggested for "2013", it's a YEARLY RIDE and has ride levels to FIT all types of riders!!! Just for the FUN of it, here's a kinda neat ride, in KANSAS: The Yellow Brick Road Ride: https://www.wam-sag-man.org/yellowbrickroadride.php It's in the last week of September so it's not To HOT and it's got 3 different mileage routes and it's hooked into the area's, OZFEST happenings. It's in Wamego, KS.

Last edited by bjjoondo; 10-02-12 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-01-12, 01:14 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm far from being against a ride location in this region, but KC does not have a reputation for bike friendliness or having great places to ride. OTOH, just east of KC lies the Katy Trail and just west of there lies the Prairie Spirit Trail. To the north, of course, is Council Bluffs and Omaha... a veritable cyclists paradise.

OTOH and FWIW, I was so impressed with the Tennessee ride this year that I am all but certain to return there. So if a splinter group with that interest develops, I would be all for it. Just sayin....
Old 10-01-12, 01:14 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
Just for the FUN of it, here's a kinda neat ride, in KANSAS: The Yellow Brick Road Ride: https://www.wam-sag-man.org/yellowbrickroadride.php It's in the last week of September so it's not To HOT and it's got 3 different mileage routes and it's hooked into the area's, OZFEST happenings. It's in Wamego, KS.
Unfortunately a bit late since it already happened.
Old 10-01-12, 02:09 PM
Banned.

Perhaps he was suggesting for 2013?
Old 10-01-12, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by billydonn
but KC does not have a reputation for bike friendliness or having great places to ride. ..
Having lived and ridden daily there for over 12 years, I would respectfully disagree. It does have an exaggerated reputation for high traffic volume, mainly because it is spread so widely there is a huge highway system. Of course that has nothing to do with the route planned for the ride.

Marc
Old 10-01-12, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
So far our annual rides have been

1. Colorado
2. New York
3. Michigan
4. Tennessee
Well, since the first four rides have been in the center, east and south of the country, perhaps it is time for something along the Best Coast. (No cure has yet been found for geocentrism.)

I'm helping a small group put together a very hilly 200 km/200 mile ride that will take place around the Summer Solstice. (We're trying to find that sweet spot that is after school is out but before the fourth of July problems) It will have a 100 km bailout route, but you're still going to climb a hill or three.

Here's the type of roadways we'll be riding on:

It's not unusual to ride for hours without being passed by a motorist if one chooses where/when one rides with care, which we do.

Those of us who are organizing this thing are expecting a very low turnout, but we think we have the price about right; we're going to make it a free, fully supported ride. Well, I guess we will have to add pie to the rest stops if we want to call it "fully" supported. If riding along rivers in the coast range of OR appeals to anyone, chime in. Of course, getting from one river to another does involve a bit of climbing.

If the Best Coast isn't favored, I personally would like to see a return to CO. Since I will be riding there in midsummer to visit family, that's a really good time for me. As I recall, one can find a hill or two to climb in CO.
Old 10-01-12, 04:59 PM
Banned.

One of the precepts of the first annual ride was to have options for all levels of riders, from spouses who barely ride to choices for the advanced rider. I don't know if this is still a concept worth keeping, but it is certainly worth discussing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.