Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

NPR's Morning Edition brings you PIE WEEK!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-12, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Next week (July 2-7) on Morning Edition they will be doing stories every day on various pies. Since pie is the official reward for a ride well ridden in our group, I thought this would be interesting for our members.

Here is a link to the preview page for the series. https://www.npr.org/blogs/thisisnpr/2...s-up-at-npr-hq

One of the pies they list is Banoffi pie with which I am not familiar. Maybe Stapfam or some other resident Brit can clue us in on this Toffee pie. Sounds like a good flavor combination!

Check with your local NPR affiliate for broadcast times for morning edition or the stories should be available on the web at the NPR site.
Old 06-29-12, 12:16 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They're on a food jag. This week was "Meat Week." Maybe the coming weekend will be "Meat Pie Weekend" as a transitional period.

Old 06-29-12, 12:23 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I am looking forward to the programs about pie, the meat series was pretty informative for me. Member of WUWF here.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-29-12, 01:29 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I am looking forward to the programs about pie, the meat series was pretty informative for me. Member of WUWF here.

Bill
Bill,
Good to hear that you are a member. I have been a member of local station KMUW for a couple of decades. It's about the only station I listen to.

I only heard bits and pieces of the meat series this week and am planning on finding these stories on the website so I can listen to them this afternoon after Talk of the Nation-Science Friday.
Old 06-29-12, 01:45 PM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
I was thinking of posting that here the first time I heard it this morning, during the end of the last part of "Meat week". I think they should do a smooth transition by starting off with meat pies...

Poor Lonesome George...
Old 06-29-12, 02:15 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Wonder if 'Goodbye Pork Pie Hat' by Charlie Mingus will go in any segue's ?

for the non Jazzers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodbye_Pork_Pie_Hat
Old 06-30-12, 03:38 AM
NewKidInTown

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mort Canard
One of the pies they list is Banoffi pie with which I am not familiar. Maybe Stapfam or some other resident Brit can clue us in on this Toffee pie. Sounds like a good flavor combination!
I had two individual ones only yesterday - Mmmmm.

Consists of a blind-baked short-crust flan case, toffee'd creme boulangere, sliced bananas, drizzled with toffee sauce, topped with whipped cream and chocolate flakes. Tastes better than described, too!

Here's a cheat's recipe for you to DIY
Old 06-30-12, 06:57 AM

As described, it sounds pretty good! So that means it tastes even better than that?

Oh, and that recipe will need some English to American translation, like "graham crackers" for "biscuits"

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 06-30-12 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-30-12, 08:30 AM
Semper Fi

That Banoffi pie sounds really good, thanks for the recipe AFE. I want to try that one soon.

Bill

Old 06-30-12, 08:52 AM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Only had Banoffi pie once in my eight years in sunny old England... not commonly on menus, I recall. Not a bad pie. Thanks for the timely tip!
Old 06-30-12, 09:41 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AmFaeEmbra
I had two individual ones only yesterday - Mmmmm.

Consists of a blind-baked short-crust flan case, toffee'd creme boulangere, sliced bananas, drizzled with toffee sauce, topped with whipped cream and chocolate flakes. Tastes better than described, too!

Here's a cheat's recipe for you to DIY
Wow! That sound fantastic!!! I will keep an eye out for that one. Of course it may lose something crossing the pond. Thanks for the recipe.
Old 06-30-12, 10:09 AM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kinda off-topic, but does beer count as a pie-equivalent? Can't find good merengue pies in this part of the country. Lots of berry and apple, and all them cream pies that me and Bill Cosby could make but that aren't really PIE.
Old 06-30-12, 10:39 AM
NewKidInTown

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
Oh, and that recipe will need some English to American translation, like "graham crackers" for "biscuits"
Now discovered that Digestive Biscuits are the equivalent of your Graham Crackers.

The Cheat's Recipe was just that - a shortcut method. The base in the video is usually what we use for the base of cheesecake over here - I think the shortcrust pastry base is nicer, but I'm sure some of you could try making both versions :o)

Originally Posted by david58
Kinda off-topic, but does beer count as a pie-equivalent?
Beer has calories - so beer definitely counts! Just depends on how much you have and how far from home you are . . .
Old 06-30-12, 11:15 AM

Well, they're not really the same. It's just that graham crackers are about as close as we'll get to digestive biscuits here, since they're more brittle and a little drier, according to my google-fu...
Old 06-30-12, 03:13 PM
Semper Fi

You need to talk to a member of the Supreme Council or the Council of Elders about what constitutes a PIE. Most creme pies are accepted here and many enjoy them. If push comes to shove get a frozen fruit pie from the grocery store and heat that baby up in the oven. the beer argument has come up before and most agree that a cold beer after a ride is a great thing, especially this time of the year.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 06-30-12 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-30-12, 03:56 PM
NewKidInTown

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
the beer argument has come up before and most agree that a cold beer after a ride is a great thing, especially this time of the year.
Well, here's a dilemma for you . . . At the end of August, I'm signed up for a charity 50-miler which starts and ends at the local masonic club. By the time we get back the bar will be open - but they don't serve pie.

What do I do - have a nice cold beer (which has calories - so that counts!) or go in search of pie, leaving my friends at the bar.

Decisions, decisions, but I'm strangely drawn to the option.
Old 06-30-12, 04:21 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What do I do - have a nice cold beer (which has calories - so that counts!) or go in search of pie, leaving my friends at the bar.

Decisions, decisions, but I'm strangely drawn to the option.
Enjoy your beer with our blessing! It is not pie but is a suitable reward for a good ride. BTW do the Scots favor their beer warm like the English? Usually in August I like my beer pretty frosty, but then Kansas has a climate much closer to Spain than Scotland.

Cheers!
Old 06-30-12, 04:52 PM
NewKidInTown

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
BTW do the Scots favor their beer warm like the English? Usually in August I like my beer pretty frosty, but then Kansas has a climate much closer to Spain than Scotland.

Cheers!
Now we start talking semantics! We have beer in many shades of brown, and we have lager in many shades of urine sample.

Beer shouldn't be too cold as you need to savour the flavour, but warm doesn't do it for me. Lagers, however, are designed to be drunk cold and thrown against the back of the throat because they are thirst quenchers and mostly taste the same.

I've tried chili beer, which is what we'd call bottled lager, but which has a chili in the bottle. I first saw this being ordered by a friend who, on finishing the lager, tipped out the chili and started chewing it. Now I was expecting him to start going slightly red in the face, but the fire from the chili is gradually transferred to the lager during the time between being bottled and opened. So the chili kick is in the drink, and chewing the chili is for show - great effect though!
Old 06-30-12, 05:19 PM
Semper Fi

I would never, ever ask a fellow Scotsman to forgo a pint after a ride. Maybe even two pints if I was with you! And that evening we could kill a nice single malt Scotch and swap riding stories. One has to keep their perspective about things, you know.

Bill

Old 07-01-12, 01:17 AM
NewKidInTown

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I would never, ever ask a fellow Scotsman to forgo a pint after a ride. Maybe even two pints if I was with you! And that evening we could kill a nice single malt Scotch and swap riding stories. One has to keep their perspective about things, you know.

Bill
Excellent idea. But more details of your Scottish side please - how come you ended up in Florida?
Old 07-01-12, 05:07 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
I was thinking of posting that here the first time I heard it this morning, during the end of the last part of "Meat week". I think they should do a smooth transition by starting off with meat pies...

Poor Lonesome George...
I think the Cornish Pasty would be a good choice here . I believe it is a UN World Heritage Food or something . Sheperd's Pie always good at the Pub . My wife won't make it , as she hates peas .
Happy Pie Week !
Old 07-01-12, 08:16 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I guess we were a few days early for Pie Week, but a few of my 50+ friends from the club (and a couple of 40+ youngsters) took a ride to a diner in a nearby town for pie yesterday. I opted for the lemon pie while some of the others took the only other option of the day, pecan pie.
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/745295

Old 07-03-12, 07:57 AM
Semper Fi

Excellent idea. But more details of your Scottish side please - how come you ended up in Florida?
AFE,
My family geneaology has my Scottish heritage listed, I can't remember everything. I do remember that the ancestor that crossed to America was named Argyle Taylor and I had a service look up my family tartan. I have a tie in the pattern. Born and raised in Florida, just proud of my Scottish heritage and study Scotland and England for their history and my roots. Also a member of The Brotherhood of St. Andrew at our Episcopal church. where are you located in Scotland, if I might ask?

All,
The Pie Week shows so far were pretty interesting. Never realised that the Apple Pie we know now was pretty well set in its recipe by the 15th century, IIRC. Now know the meaning behind "Four and Twenty Blackbirds...." in the poem.

Bill

Old 07-03-12, 08:22 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well we now know how to make a crust and the history of pie. Now I want some mouthwatering descriptions of something I would want to sink my teeth into.
Old 07-03-12, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Well we now know how to make a crust and the history of pie. Now I want some mouthwatering descriptions of something I would want to sink my teeth into.
Well, there's this, also from NPR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.