Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Heading Out The Door For a Hot Metric......

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-13-12, 07:29 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts

In two more weeks there is a Century ride in our area that I'm being invited to ride with a group of friends. Problem is, I like a little more time to train for it. As it is I have been training the whole season for hills and fast 30mi rides. Not sure how that translates to a 100mi ride. Today I'll find out where my long distance bones are.

Here is the ride coming up in two weeks. It's most flat with two big hills (not a prob to me), it's easterly in direction that puts a wind behind us and is professionally timed, grouped according to request and selection of ride speed. Pacelines rule the day. I've never ridden as much as 20mi in a paceline and have done centuries by myself pushing headwinds for long segments.

https://www.blackbearbicycletour.com/

Because it is a flat west-to-east, it attracts semi-pros and wannabe's (I dont say this negatively). There are very fast times in this that make it more the race than a tour. Even the seniors are known to turn in sub-5hr times.

https://resultsarchive.active.com/pag...362&rsID=96776
Old 07-13-12, 10:26 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I was going to ride the Black Bear this year with a group of friends, but decided against it because I've never done a century and I'm just not sure that I could keep going for that length of time. I have no issues with doing 60+ mile days back-to-back (e.g., the Shoreline West tour), but I'm not a competitive rider and it would probably take me 8 clock hours to do a 100-mile ride (including SAGs, etc.).

What I might do though is the two-person relay some other year. It also makes for easier logistics since you can drive to Grayling and your vehicle will end up in Oscoda at the end -- no extra shuttling required.
Old 07-13-12, 11:28 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
The thought of riding that far in a paceline gives me the willies. I rode my first century this past Wednesday, solo, in about 8 hours. My previous longest was 76mi. The trick I've found for any long distance ride is to go at a moderate pace rather than trying to keep up with anyone. Don't wear yourself out early. Ride efficiently, not fast. Drink lots, eat occasionally and make some of that food salty if you are sweating a lot. Have fun.
Old 07-13-12, 01:49 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by DougG
I was going to ride the Black Bear this year with a group of friends, but decided against it because I've never done a century and I'm just not sure that I could keep going for that length of time. I have no issues with doing 60+ mile days back-to-back (e.g., the Shoreline West tour), but I'm not a competitive rider and it would probably take me 8 clock hours to do a 100-mile ride (including SAGs, etc.).

What I might do though is the two-person relay some other year. It also makes for easier logistics since you can drive to Grayling and your vehicle will end up in Oscoda at the end -- no extra shuttling required.
Maybe next year we could team up. Seriously, I just dont like long rides. Metrics are my limit and anything past that ceases to be fun. When it ceases to be fun, I quit.

Today, didnt finish the metric. At the 30mi break I decided to take the very hilly, rollercoaster shortcut home. I could effectively get home in 13mi at that point sitting at the store. That's what I did. Great workout on the hills but no way I'm going the distance in 95deg heat. The tarmac was more like 100deg.

Tooooooo hot.
Old 07-13-12, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by jimmuller
The thought of riding that far in a paceline gives me the willies. I rode my first century this past Wednesday, solo, in about 8 hours. My previous longest was 76mi. The trick I've found for any long distance ride is to go at a moderate pace rather than trying to keep up with anyone. Don't wear yourself out early. Ride efficiently, not fast. Drink lots, eat occasionally and make some of that food salty if you are sweating a lot. Have fun.
Doug, I rode my first century last August with the same pace plan....by myself. Half of it was in a 14mph headwind or thereabouts. I cant ride that far in a race and that is what a paceline would feel like beyond 60 miles. I need to stop when I need to stop (type 1 diabetic). To me that doesnt sound like fun.
Old 07-13-12, 02:18 PM

Bikes: domane trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey I am type 1 diabetic too. Did the Tour de Cure ride 65 miles.
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Doug, I rode my first century last August with the same pace plan....by myself. Half of it was in a 14mph headwind or thereabouts. I cant ride that far in a race and that is what a paceline would feel like beyond 60 miles. I need to stop when I need to stop (type 1 diabetic). To me that doesnt sound like fun.
Old 07-13-12, 02:27 PM
Road Runner

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Maybe next year we could team up. Seriously, I just dont like long rides. Metrics are my limit and anything past that ceases to be fun. When it ceases to be fun, I quit.

Today, didnt finish the metric. At the 30mi break I decided to take the very hilly, rollercoaster shortcut home. I could effectively get home in 13mi at that point sitting at the store. That's what I did. Great workout on the hills but no way I'm going the distance in 95deg heat. The tarmac was more like 100deg.

Tooooooo hot.
95? Exactly where were you ridiing -- it's "only" about 88 around here. I'm doing the One Helluva Ride in Chelsea tomorrow (65 mile route). It will be humid as all get out, but supposedly just mid-80s. At least this will be with a reasonably-paced group of friends starting at 8AM and we can take all the time we want to finish.
Old 07-13-12, 03:29 PM

95? Exactly where were you ridiing -- it's "only" about 88 around here. I'm doing the One Helluva Ride in Chelsea tomorrow (65 mile route). It will be humid as all get out, but supposedly just mid-80s. At least this will be with a reasonably-paced group of friends starting at 8AM and we can take all the time we want to finish.
Boyne City/Boyne Falls/Petoskey/Bay Shore....and back to Boyne City. Yeah, it was that hot. I checked the Weather Channel app that is what it said. Too stinkin' hot. Nobody was out there running fast today.

Two weeks ago I rode a fast 30, came in at 1:39min. The temp was just 82. It was a fun ride and it just seemed to blast right on by......but the next day there was some residual heat exhaustion. I didnt feel like pushing much today.

Last edited by OldsCOOL; 07-13-12 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-13-12, 07:57 PM
Road Runner

I'll be going through Boyne City & Petoskey in a few weeks during the last few days of the Shoreline West tour. Nice area, and an occasional little hill to make it interesting.
Old 07-13-12, 10:22 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Know thyself. If you are a hardcore racer, sure, you are going to push yourself harder. But, if you cycle for fitness and recreation, staying safe and having fun are your primary goals. If you don't enjoy centuries, don't enter them. If you like the challenge of centuries, but at your own pace, then don't let peer pressure force you into riding at a pace that will make the event miserable for you. Like DenverFox says in his signature line, it's "Smiles not miles."
Old 07-14-12, 06:50 AM

Nice area, and an occasional little hill.....

Hope you are enjoying the ride today.