Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+'rs - watch your traffic obedience in Denver

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-12, 06:37 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Denver police crack down on freewheeling bicyclists

https://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20...denverpost.com
Old 07-02-12, 06:55 PM

Bikes: Trek 1400, Trek 6500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When he gets to court, he should ask if the officer requires motor vehicle operators to get out of the car and put their feet on the pavement at a Stop sign. To stop is to cease forward movement. Simple.
Old 07-02-12, 07:02 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I would be sorely tempted to tear that one up and get a littering ticket on top of it. Given cyclist's reputation for not stopping at stop signs, you'd think a cop would be happy that he stopped. I have actually thought that the roads would be safer if motorists had to put a foot down. At least they would stop. I have to laugh when people around here complain about cyclists not stopping because nobody stops for stop signs here, you'd get rear-ended.

California did actually require cyclists to put a foot down for a while. Kind of ridiculous given that most of the country calls a rolling stop a "california stop" for good reason. I really wonder if they enforce stop signs around here -- the cops don't stop for them, why should the rest of us?
Old 07-02-12, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
California did actually require cyclists to put a foot down for a while.
Any citation for this? It certainly hasn't been part of the CVC since I've lived here. Nor have I ever heard that the law was changed from a previous version with such a requirement.

That's not to say that there aren't some misinformed police officers who may issue a ticket to someone who does a proper track stand.
Old 07-02-12, 07:42 PM
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I rode a motorcycle in the 80's in SoCal and remember having to watch for cops when I did feet on the pegs stops. I was never warned but a guy I knew was ticketed.
Old 07-02-12, 07:54 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Any citation for this? It certainly hasn't been part of the CVC since I've lived here. Nor have I ever heard that the law was changed from a previous version with such a requirement.

That's not to say that there aren't some misinformed police officers who may issue a ticket to someone who does a proper track stand.
I concur. I have never seen "foot down" in the definition a legal stop, and I have never been harassed by the police, even in Oceanside CA, for coming to a full or near-full stop w/o unclipping.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-02-12, 08:12 PM
Randomhead

Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
sorry, all I have for the California thing is vague memories from the '70s that this was mentioned in Velonews. I doubt it was ever codified in law.

Funny thing is that I figure putting my foot down is a suitable substitute for actually coming to a stop. My foot always comes to a stop, which is better than the motorists can say.

Last edited by unterhausen; 07-02-12 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-02-12, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
During the '70s and early '80s, the bike cops in Davis, CA were handing out tickets to cyclists for not putting a foot down at stop signs. After a few people successfully fought their citations, the cops started dealing with the reality of the law (stop) and not making stuff up (put a foot down). Perhaps this is where the rumor that CA required cyclists to put a foot down came from.

It's kind of funny that a cop would want a cyclist to put a foot down to prove they had stopped. It is pretty common for a track-standing cyclist to stop multiple times (stop, roll backwards two inches, stop, roll forwards, stop,...). What could be better than someone who is so into stopping at a stop sign they do it over and over?

I did once see a motorist put his foot down at a red light. Unfortunately, he didn't actually stop. His car was sliding on ice and he finally decided to open his door and see if a bit more traction would help. Luckily, those of us whose light had turned green saw what was happening and no one entered the intersection until he managed to stop and get control of the situation. We don't get many days with ice on the road in Eugene, so most folks were unprepared for the lack of friction.
Old 07-03-12, 05:12 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Two types of sign over here-"Give Way" and "Stop". Give way and if clear as you approach- then you can carry on without stopping. Stop is what it says and you have to stop. As a Motorist- what constitutes a stop? 45 years ago I was taught it is no forward movement and if the letter of the law is to be applied- then handbrake on. Then look both ways to ensure you can proceed. What motorist does that? May stop- may look- but Handbrake? And in fact--Very few cars do stop if they are first in line and the road is clear.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-03-12, 08:19 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Take the bicycle to court and show the judge a track stand stop, then ask the officer to show where the law says you have to put a foot down for a complete stop. Just contesting this will blow the cops mind, they expect everyone to quietly accept a ticket and not question their judgement. I know, my brother is a cop.

Bill
+1
Old 07-03-12, 08:21 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Every bike club in America should push hard right now for Idaho laws and put an end to this nonsense. I've yet to see a car come to a full complete no kidding stop in my neighborhood, yet I get yelled at for rolling through a stop sign at 3 MPH.

Old 07-03-12, 08:34 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What also annoys the heck out of me is the number of cars that don't signal and I have to guess what they are going to do.
Old 07-03-12, 08:42 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And those that make a left-hand turn and enter the lane of oncoming traffic. NEVER see a cop stop someone for that and that is much more dangerous!!!
Old 07-03-12, 09:02 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
...or making a turn and drifting into your lane. I never get why people think they need to drift right to turn left or drift left to turn right when they are driving a car. I had a car nearly hit my car in the side when they were going to make a right turn--they drifted into my lane, left lane, in getting ready to turn--laid on the horn. You don't need to make a wide arc with a car like you do with a bicycle or motorcycle. Some can't even stay in their lane when you have multiple lanes that turn--such as two or three left turn lanes at a stop signal.
Old 07-03-12, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I wonder how I could show that I've stopped on my trike?
Old 07-03-12, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Take the bicycle to court and show the judge a track stand stop, then ask the officer to show where the law says you have to put a foot down for a complete stop. Just contesting this will blow the cops mind, they expect everyone to quietly accept a ticket and not question their judgement. I know, my brother is a cop.

Bill
The problem with that could be if he slowly keeps moving forward, like the majority of cyclists I see trying to track stand. They never come to a complete stop.
Old 07-06-12, 09:07 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the other hand, I wouldn't mind at all seeing some of the people riding bicycles on the wrong side of the street get tickets. Or adults riding on the sidewalk when there's a bike lane. Combine the two and you get the guy riding the wrong way on the sidewalk, who my wife accidentally hit at an intersection -- officer at the scene said he could have cited them both but decided to cite no one (My wife was pretty distraught about the accident -- she bikes all over town herself). Hard to believe this officer in Denver couldn't find someone doing something actually worth writing a ticket for -- maybe he's just lazy :-)
Old 07-06-12, 10:44 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I concur. I have never seen "foot down" in the definition a legal stop, and I have never been harassed by the police, even in Oceanside CA, for coming to a full or near-full stop w/o unclipping.
Fortunately the Oceanside cops act like they have better things to do than hassle bikers. Carlsbad is a different matter. The City Code in that town is downright hostile to bikes, and especially skateboards. Good for you the Encinitas Sheriffs are always at the doughnut shop.
Old 07-06-12, 10:48 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Bill
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
+1
+2
Old 07-06-12, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by nmichell
On the other hand, I wouldn't mind at all seeing some of the people riding bicycles on the wrong side of the street get tickets. Or adults riding on the sidewalk when there's a bike lane. Combine the two and you get the guy riding the wrong way on the sidewalk, who my wife accidentally hit at an intersection -- officer at the scene said he could have cited them both but decided to cite no one (My wife was pretty distraught about the accident -- she bikes all over town herself). Hard to believe this officer in Denver couldn't find someone doing something actually worth writing a ticket for -- maybe he's just lazy :-)
Salmon are my biggest pet peeve. Especially when heading into traffic on the local Coast Highway, which is very popular with group rides. A serious accident caused by a high speed peleton coming down the railroad overpass from Carlsbad to Buena Vista Lagoon and hitting a couple of stoners on beach cruisers with surfboards head on, is just a matter of time. If the Carlsbad cops spent as much energy enforcing this as they do hassling skateboarders, I would be happy.
Old 07-06-12, 11:22 PM
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just need to add this one to my list of reasons to never enter Denver city and county again. I think that makes 43 now.
Old 07-07-12, 05:47 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
The problem with that could be if he slowly keeps moving forward, like the majority of cyclists I see trying to track stand. They never come to a complete stop.
Indeed. As others have suggested, if he can do a track stand in court w/o moving then the judge should throw it out otherwise pay the fine and shut up.
Old 07-07-12, 07:00 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Denver police crack down on freewheeling bicyclists

https://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20...denverpost.com
What I really love is when they do this under the guise of bicycle safety.... If you follow that logic, how about ticketing all the car drivers, in the guise of car safety.

The issue is that a bicycle can stop and start again in under a second, mostly because stopping is easy and you can see conditions on the road and determine whether you need to stay stopped, before you stop. This is why some cyclists don't bother to stop, they determined they didn't really need to. it takes a car driver about 10 seconds to stop, see if they need to remain stopped, and go again. Officers who spend their entire day scarfing down donuts in cruisers do not realise this difference, so if you don't take that full 10 seconds, they assume you did not stop. Putting a foot down proves your stopped. It's not really an issue if you use platform pedals, it's a huge issue if you need to unclip, put a foot down, then reclip.

If Denver had a group of cycle based officers and let them write the bicycle tickets, they probably wouldn't write very many.
Old 07-07-12, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Wogster
. . .Officers who spend their entire day scarfing down donuts in cruisers do not realise this difference, . . .
I think they do, but are following orders of local politicians who are trying to score points with certain constituents, by applying "tough love to those nasty bikers".

The laws have evolved. For example, riding all the way to the right has morphed to riding as far to the right as practical and safe. Why can it not go from total cessation of forward movement, to slow enough to assess if it is safe to proceed, or come to a full stop.
Old 07-07-12, 08:35 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando;14450504

The laws have evolved. For example, riding all the way to the right has morphed to riding as far to the right as practical and safe. Why can it not go from [I
total cessation of forward movement[/I], to slow enough to assess if it is safe to proceed, or come to a full stop.
Why don't we just change all stop signs to yield signs and eliminate the red light entirely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.