Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ordered it.

Old 07-15-12, 02:11 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ordered it.

Only a Garmin 500 but the experience of getting one was not easy.

First of all--Do I need a computer?

Second--can I afford one?

Third---Do I need all those functions?

Fourth--Where to get it.

Do I need one? Not really as I know how slow I am- but I do need to improve speed a bit and that cannot be done unless I start recording rides.

Cost is a factor but having had cheap units that worked adequately- why Don't I go for one of those---which leads onto-----------

I may not need all the functions but HRM is going to be an essential in the future--Cadence not so much as I will pedal at what I find efficient and comfortable and I don't need a meter for that. Speed- average-mean and current are always useful in training. Altimeter and with our hills I want to see by how much those hills have grown and gradient is always a bragging factor--If I ever need it.

But it was where to get it that drove me mad. Forget buying from the US as Shipping and Taxes will put it up to near full retail price. Plenty of online places to get one and all about the same price. One or two advertised low prices that were not low and I think the annoying thing is that this is a cycle computer and other "Non" cycling shops were cheaper. Cheaper by about £15 to £20. That is $20 to $30 in your money. Don't get me wrong- I could afford one thanks to a little windfall and as the wife has just bought a Goofle Nexus out of it- I will not even feel guilty.

In the end I went into all the bike online shops to find the best price and saw on PBK an offer for 20% off their price. They had it for £179 so 20% off would be cheaper than anywhere. Went for it but it is not 20% off their price--It is 20% off the original retail price. Put it at 1penny above the cheapest I could find anywhere else.

So just hope I can put it to good use in the future. Got the version without HRM belt and Cadence sensor as I already have those from the edge 305.

But what really swayed me to get a very expensive Garmin as opposed to a cheap computer is that I liked the 305 and just a pity it played up. Ease of setting the thing up (None) The extra functions it does offer and the ease of recording data for reference. And then the number of members here that have it and praise it.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-15-12, 03:54 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice that you got the windfall. Pity that the 305 went belly up.

I still can't justify one for myself.
Old 07-15-12, 04:45 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As an engineer I spend much of my life trying to justify things. I could never justify buying a Corvette. I desperately wanted one but could never figure out how I could justify spending that much money on a car when the cars I owned were more than acceptable. I let my emotions overcome my practicality, and I bought one in 2001. After I bought it I realized how much satisfaction that convertible gave me and how much enjoyment I missed by not buying one earlier. From that experience I stopped trying to justify things that provide satisfaction. I found that living life "large" can enhance your quality of life. If I can afford something and it will not compromise my future retirement I will justify the purchase as personal satisfaction.

I had a Garmin Forerunner 305 and it still functions quite well. I bought a Garmin Edge 800, and I have no regrets. I did not need it or could not justify it for practical reasons. It did provide personal satisfaction. I did not pay list price and used a coupon to buy it on-line at a considerable savings. I also get satisfaction from saving money on discretionary purchases.
Old 07-15-12, 07:33 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I understand, but,
A. I don't want to sleep on the couch, and

B. I may not have to sleep on the couch as my wife would kill me.

Still, nice purchase Stepfam.
Old 07-15-12, 08:08 AM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Dang! Next time you want to do something like that, across-the-pond-cousin, is send me some funds through Paypal and I'll hunt up the least expensive source I can find, rip it out of the box, use it once, and then ship it to you as a "used" device. Duties and taxes can't be that much on a used device, are they?

Enjoy. They are really fun little gadgets that make some aspects of cycling more enjoyable and fulfilling.
Old 07-15-12, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
You definitely don't need one, although the temptation is there. I had one and on the first ride it lost it's settings so I tossed it when I got home. Haven't missed it since. bk
Old 07-15-12, 02:44 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Retirement is turning out great and I keep getting these little windfalls. Apparently I am entitled to some supplementary State pension which is not much but every little helps. However- as I now draw a state benefit--I also no longer pay my local Council Tax of around £2,000 a year ($3,000). Refund for what I have paid since April is on its way and that accounts for the Nexus 7 for the wife and the Garmin. It is working out that I can afford these little luxuries which I could not a year ago as I was saving for retirement.

But today took the 305 out for a ride and it did start messing about but managed to get a hill recorded that is on my inland route. Only a short one of 1 mile and the road sign says 10%. That normally means that at some point it reaches 10% at it's steepest. NO--This hill is 10% for 1 mile. Didn't vary and I did not find it easy. Perhaps it was the 15 miles of short sharp hills that came before it and the State of the road with mud and debris littering it from last nights Rain.(2" fell sometime overnight according to the bucket outside the door). Our back roads have become offroad with the amount of mud washing off the fields.

Thanks for the offer Velosong but looking at the few US traders that appear over here- You are beginning to pay a premium for having a sound Monetary system Either that or the £ is so poor that we cannot afford to buy from abroad anymore.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-15-12, 02:57 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
You definitely don't need one, although the temptation is there. I had one and on the first ride it lost it's settings so I tossed it when I got home. Haven't missed it since. bk
Which model did you toss? If they're set up right and you keep your history file relatively clear (e.g. not too many rides at a time stored on the unit), I've found they work very well. I've had my EDGE 705 for about four years and absolutely love the thing. I'd like an 800, but can't easily justify the expense given the features that I would gain.
Old 07-15-12, 06:12 PM
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go, but a Nexus for the wife and Garmin for you? That ought to put you in good graces for years to come.
Old 07-15-12, 07:58 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. I'm sure you'll love it.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-19-12, 07:15 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Still using my 305 with the HRM strap and no cadence sensor. Works well after several years.
Old 07-19-12, 11:29 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The 305 might be fixable if I send it back to Garmin but may not. And the new 500 came yesterday afternoon. Second good thing to happen as I managed to get a local problem resolved with the Council that has been bugging me.

I could not wait for it to arrive as I could not remember what Colour I had ordered. It is black and hopefully the weather will co-operate to allow a test ride today to see if it works efficiently enough for me to use it. Now what route do I take? Down for Pie-which is what I should be doing- or take in a few hills- or just go out for a quick 50 mile blast at speed across the marshes?

Spike Milligan
Old 07-20-12, 05:44 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Definitely a Pie-ride for the new Garmin, only fitting. Oh yeah, pics please, when you have it mounted on a bicycle.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 07-20-12, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Hope you enjoy it. I know I like mine better than any other bike computer I've ever owned.
Old 07-20-12, 09:41 AM
TCR Advanced SL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garmin will generally send you a replacement when you return one of their products for service. My 305 is still hanging in there. If it goes belly up I may upgrade to the 500 or simply return the 305 for another. Lp
Old 07-20-12, 01:36 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
A toy is its own justification! If its something I need, its like pulling teeth without novacaine.
Old 07-20-12, 01:49 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Delayed ride so I could finish some work in the garden--Then it was time for the TDF and won't spoil but good result--Then got changed at 5pm to have Pie on the seafront and it persisted down. Still raining 3 hours later.

Always tomorrow.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-20-12, 06:58 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I finally called the cable company and had them fix my cable so I could watch the TdF.