Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Minimizing dead legs after lunch stop on long ride

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Minimizing dead legs after lunch stop on long ride

Old 07-26-12, 08:56 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. The length of this ride (50 miles) is not beyond my current conditioning (I've done a few 50s and 60s this year), but I'm still working on my aerobic conditioning so I can keep up with the faster riders on the second half.

NOS88: You asked a good question. I'm riding with this group because it's a fun group and we've been riding with them long enough that we're now riding with friends. There are some strong competitive riders in our group, but for the most part it's a recreational club. I have to admit I sometimes get frustrated with that aspect because it seems that most of them are not interested in the technical aspects of riding (base training, what's that?... warming up...). I suspect that some might be snickering behind my back about my base training plan, but that's OK I love 'em anyway. Anyway, it's a fun ride to the beach, then along the beach, for brunch at one of our favorite food stops at the beach.

I'll be mindful of what I eat, and will start in the front and ease into it for a few miles as you've suggested.

big john: The Cool Breeze event is on my bucket list for next year.
Old 07-26-12, 09:56 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
What they said. After a stop for any more than 5 minute you need to start slowly, perhaps even more slowly than you would at the start of any ride. Give the accumulated accumulation in your legs a chance to dissipate before you push them again. It won't take long.
Old 07-26-12, 10:08 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
This group doesn't like slow starts
Find a different group ...of smart cyclists.
Old 07-26-12, 10:44 AM
enthusiast

Bikes: 2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tough to do on a "Beach Ride", but I find a steep pitch wakes my legs up after a long stop better than anything else I can think of.

Given that you are planning to eat a small portion to begin with, could you perhaps excuse yourself from lunch a few minutes before everyone else and do a couple of laps around the block to warm up before the group starts?
Old 07-26-12, 10:51 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Find a different group ...of smart cyclists.
This is a fun group of "senior" cyclists and have become like family. "Slow" and "fast" are relative terms, some start slower than others. It's my own fault that I always want to start and ride with the fast ones, when I could choose the slower ones instead and sometimes should. As I stated above, I sometimes get frustrated when they don't seem to know more about some technical aspects of riding, but hey they're waaaaaay healthier and stronger than the average Joe who does nothing and can barely get around. These "seniors" do metrics and centuries and have raised the bar on what "senior" means.
Old 07-26-12, 11:03 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Same issue here. My annual WI ride (starts tomorrow) does 75-100 mi/day and we always stop for a 1hr+ lunch. It's like starting all over again with dead legs. We just start up slow and work back into a pace. Our short stops are often too long for me as well. I prefer to get off the bike for <5 min., lay flat and then stretch the legs (knee to chest, cross-leg pull to chin, etc) then go. I'll snack and hydrate on the bike.
Old 07-26-12, 12:21 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
This is a fun group of "senior" cyclists and have become like family. "Slow" and "fast" are relative terms, some start slower than others. It's my own fault that I always want to start and ride with the fast ones, when I could choose the slower ones instead and sometimes should. As I stated above, I sometimes get frustrated when they don't seem to know more about some technical aspects of riding, but hey they're waaaaaay healthier and stronger than the average Joe who does nothing and can barely get around. These "seniors" do metrics and centuries and have raised the bar on what "senior" means.
They definately sound like a fun bunch to ride with and being friends adds to the value of the ride. I would do everything in my ability to hang with them....and hopefully they will be considerate on the return rides
Old 07-26-12, 12:36 PM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Yen,
I'm going to suggest something different for you.

Talk with your ride mates about what you'd like to do and change the game.

- Do the entire ride first, then have the meal together.

or

- Agree to ride once or twice per month without stopping - and do the eating and drinking on the bike

or

- Suggest a mid stop that can be limited to 15 minutes or so, and offers lighter fare that's better suited to cycling

Maybe there's an answer for you somewhere in there.

Good luck, and enjoy the times with your friends.

Phil
Old 07-26-12, 01:13 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Yen,
Is this group the same ones you were referring to in your previous thread about the group ride problems? https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...h-group-or-not

It seems that the group rides and its participants don't want to work with you. Any chance the Phil's suggestion would make any difference?

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 07-26-12 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Add a link to another thread
Old 07-26-12, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
big john: The Cool Breeze event is on my bucket list for next year.
Do it! It's one of my favorite organized rides, done it 10 times. It's a well thought out route and the support is good. I would suggest the low land 100 for your first time, my group does a modified version of the double metric.
When that one gets to be old hat, let me know and I'll tell you about some tough ones. Of course, I don't love the ride unless the food is good.
Old 07-26-12, 09:51 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Short stops; no prolonged lunch stop in middle of a ride.

We led club rides for decades.
Our formula was simple. Ride meets/starts at restaurant parking lot. End of ride is at that restaurant . . . then chow down and BS all you want!
Ride to eat/eat to ride!
Next time you set up/lead the ride that way.
Pedal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 07-27-12, 09:13 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Yen,
Is this group the same ones you were referring to in your previous thread about the group ride problems? https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...h-group-or-not

It seems that the group rides and its participants don't want to work with you. Any chance the Phil's suggestion would make any difference?

Bill
Yes it's the same group, but the problem I mentioned on that ride was an isolated incident. This is a wonderful group and a good fit for us in many ways. The core of this group began years ago and is primarily recreational in nature.... out for a fun ride. There are some members who do non-stop weekend rides with another group who does teach more technical aspects. Our group has evolved a lot as newer members join who are younger and experienced. The members have worked with me on some suggestions but I try to pick my battles... I don't want to change the core philosophy but I do press for positive changes related to safety and routes. I don't know if all of Phil's suggestions would work... definitely not for this particular ride.... but suggesting 1-2 non-stop rides per month would satisfy the members who (like us) want and need that type of ride for training purposes.
Old 07-27-12, 09:27 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
The more fit you get, the less of a problem it will be. I like some coffee or a can of Starbucks cold espresso if stopping for more than a few minutes.
Old 07-27-12, 09:44 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I'm just wimpy, LOL. Everyone complains of dead legs, sore legs, feeling exhausted after a long hard ride --- but I want to prevent or overcome that by doing things differently -- base training, warming up, etc. I've been hanging out in these forums for so long that I've read and learned these things many many times.... maybe I'm suffering from TooMuchInformationitis.
Old 07-27-12, 11:41 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After a long food stop I tend to be lazy about cadence so keep the beat on the high side for the first few miles. For me that eliminates the "what happened to my legs" question.
Old 07-27-12, 07:02 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
Maybe I'm just wimpy, LOL. Everyone complains of dead legs, sore legs, feeling exhausted after a long hard ride --- but I want to prevent or overcome that by doing things differently -- base training, warming up, etc. I've been hanging out in these forums for so long that I've read and learned these things many many times.... maybe I'm suffering from TooMuchInformationitis.
You may be on to something. While I do try to be smart about my riding and conditioning, I try my best not to let it stand in the way of enjoying the simple joy of riding a bicycle and the social aspect of hanging out with friends, whether before, during or after riding.
Old 07-27-12, 08:37 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Practice!

My bike club has a weekly breakfast ride. We take a long route (20-25 miles) to a restaurant, sit down and eat (about an hour); then ride back to our starting point (5-12 miles).
The first time I did this it felt like I had concrete in my gut and legs on the post-breakfast return.
The first time we filled up with a heavy Mexican breakfast, the coffee and salsa had a violent interaction 5 miles away from the restaurant.
The next Mexican breakfast the violent reaction was 7 miles away.
Eventually I got used to it. No more reactions and good energy levels.
I try get lots of coffee, water, and a small OJ (electrolytes/sugar). Sometimes it's a light meal, sometimes it's heavier. Mostly carbs, I try to keep it low fat.
Whole-wheat French toast (no butter or sugar); 2-egg omelets and hash browns and toast; fancy oatmeal with fruit and yogurt; mexican eggs w/ beans and potatoes and tortillas; that sort of meal.
While we have different destinations each week, the last 4-5 miles of the return is almost always on the same route. I ride it like it was a time trial going as fast as I can.
Old 07-28-12, 08:59 AM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Can and would you share an example of what you do?
The "can you" is hard, I don't recall the names and sequence of these moves. Personally, I very much like doing a few simple yoga moves, like cobra and downward facing dog to open up the back - but you need to have some grass nearby unless you are hardcore and just drop on the asphalt.

The dynamic warm-up includes things like running in place, hi knee lifts for 20 seconds, jumping jacks, shoulder rolls, arm spins, trunk bends...stuff like that. I don't think there is any magic routine, just pull a dozen movements together that work for you, develop a routine.

My experience, you'll get on the bike feeling loose, light and with blood flowing. But, I am often too lazy or perhaps embarassed to follow through routinely, then a mile down the road I'm cursing myself for not warming up properly..or re-warming I should say.
Old 07-28-12, 04:33 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Do it! It's one of my favorite organized rides, done it 10 times. It's a well thought out route and the support is good. I would suggest the low land 100 for your first time, my group does a modified version of the double metric.
When that one gets to be old hat, let me know and I'll tell you about some tough ones. Of course, I don't love the ride unless the food is good.
It's all about the food! We're doing the Lighthouse Century for the first time this year, known for their food. I'll be doing the 72-mile metric.
Old 07-28-12, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A slow stretch and "shake-out" of the legs before and after may help some; but you HAVE to go easy at first when you get back on. If your gang refuses to accommodate this, get a new gang. Unless you're pro riders in training, nothing is that important to force someone into a potentially injurious action. (Muscles that have 'cooled' are more fragile than at the beginning of the ride; they need to be 'coaxed' back into that level of exertion.)
Old 07-28-12, 09:44 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We did go easy at first on the return today and my legs felt pretty good!
Old 07-29-12, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
It's all about the food! We're doing the Lighthouse Century for the first time this year, known for their food. I'll be doing the 72-mile metric.
The club that puts on the Lighthouse (SLOBC) has a knife and fork in their logo. I've done the Lighthouse 5 times and the food is exceptional. They even had a chocalate fondue at the last rest stop in years past. A wonderful lunch including hot drinks and hot, fresh olalaberry pie. Also, a feast at the end ensures you won't be hungry on the drive home.
Old 07-29-12, 11:40 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
The club that puts on the Lighthouse (SLOBC) has a knife and fork in their logo. I've done the Lighthouse 5 times and the food is exceptional. They even had a chocalate fondue at the last rest stop in years past. A wonderful lunch including hot drinks and hot, fresh olalaberry pie. Also, a feast at the end ensures you won't be hungry on the drive home.
I can't wait! We'll be there with some of our club; our tradition after the ride includes our own little happy hour with appetizers before a nice dinner out, then drive home the next day.