Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

RANT: Smokers have taken over my relaxing areas

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

RANT: Smokers have taken over my relaxing areas

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-12, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
If smokers don't respect the non-smoking areas you could always point it out to the management. If you stop at a coffee/bakery on a ride and the smoke bothers you, stop at a different coffee/bakery place.

Workplaces are harder, although perhaps if there are a few people who find smoke objectionable to the extent you do the management would be willing to do something about it?
Our club rides stop at places on the route slip, or cue sheet? and once 20 of us are there, we aren't going someplace else. I have seen employees of these places ask smokers to extinguish their butts, to no avail. I just move upwind or sit away from my friends. Tired of confronting smokers in public, I only do it as a last resort.

I have worked at the same place for 14 years and it is as good as it is going to get, with the smokers there wanting to avoid listening to me beg, threaten, or otherwise complain about their noxious weeds.
When I first came to work there, there were more smokers and they smoked in the shop while working, which is against the law and the insurance regulations.
I went to the owner's daughter, who is a smoker, and she laughed it off. The only way to get relief was to deal with the offenders myself. The few who were resistant no longer work there, so I'm o.k. most of the time.
I do hate my job but am terrified to seek employment at another shop because I might have to start all over with smokers and I can't imagine going to work and getting sick every day like I have in the past.
Old 07-30-12, 08:13 AM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Saw a t-shirt once with those two characters by Matt Groening, the ones wearing fez'z.(Jeff and Akbar) One says "Mind if I smoke?"; the other says, "No, mind if I fart?"

Saw a bumper sticker yesterday; "Are ashtrays that complicated, or are smokers too simple?"

I was a smoker form 1976 to 1988.

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 07-30-12 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Remembered the names.
Old 07-30-12, 08:42 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Both peanuts and chocolate encourage flatulence in the aged. Please be considerate and eat your snack at home.
Old 07-31-12, 03:54 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
I've already made it clear I'm done conversing with the OP in this thread anyhow. But I would like to ask a couple questions, especially of the smoke sensitive people if that's alright with them.

1: How many if any other things also set you off besides cigarette smoke and I meant with actual symptoms? (please be honest).
When I was a teenager, I had allergy induced asthma problems. Doctor did an allergy test which consisted of scratching the skin on my back at numerous locations (test sites). At each test site, the doctor put a drop of solution containing a specific allergen. The test sites that turned red (and they itched as well, but the visual redness was what the doctor used) indicated I was allergic to that specific allergen. Just like touching poison ivy and the skin turns red and itches.

The test indicated I was allergic to two types of plant pollen, tobacco and tobacco smoke. I took shots for a couple years to reduce my sensitivity to all four allergens.

Rx Rider argues that cigarette smoke is simply an irritant. He is correct that cigarette smoke is an irritant, but he is wrong in claiming that it cannot also be an allergen.

My allergen test as a teenager was many, many years before the apartment smoking law suit that Rx Rider claims started his so called claims of false invention of cigarette smoke being an allergen.
Old 07-31-12, 05:19 PM
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
When I was a teenager, I had allergy induced asthma problems. Doctor did an allergy test which consisted of scratching the skin on my back at numerous locations (test sites). At each test site, the doctor put a drop of solution containing a specific allergen. The test sites that turned red (and they itched as well, but the visual redness was what the doctor used) indicated I was allergic to that specific allergen. Just like touching poison ivy and the skin turns red and itches.

The test indicated I was allergic to two types of plant pollen, tobacco and tobacco smoke. I took shots for a couple years to reduce my sensitivity to all four allergens.
Rx Rider argues that cigarette smoke is simply an irritant. He is correct that cigarette smoke is an irritant, but he is wrong in claiming that it cannot also be an allergen.
My allergen test as a teenager was many, many years before the apartment smoking law suit that Rx Rider claims started his so called claims of false invention of cigarette smoke being an allergen.
an allergic reaction is the immune system responding. so there could be an allergy to the proteins found in tobacco. once up in smoke the proteins are gone and any physiological conditions become neurologically caused. so the "smoke allergy" can't exist. you can't fight allergy like symptoms it with allergy meds because the immune systems isn't doing anything.
It could be a big deal if a doctor treated an "near allergy" like an allergy and gave you every med on the planet to help your immune system and it turned out to be a neurological problem instead. fortunately for us doctors don't make mistakes.
Old 07-31-12, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
https://webdan65.hubpages.com/hub/All...igarette-Smoke
Old 07-31-12, 06:37 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Hey, I said it was a RANT

And you expect logic and consistency?

then it wouldn't be a RANT!!

It would be an argument - or something llike that.
Holy Granolie, can't someone enjoy a good old-fashioned rant these days?

Denver, I'm with you on this one.

But wait: I really hate crappy perfume worn by old ladies with no sense of smell. I don't like it when young ladies wear bad perfume, either, but at least they tend not to bathe in it.

The worst? When they douse themselves in cheap nasty smelling perfume to cover up their tobacco smell. Yuck. It's disgusting.

Whats the answer? Ban old ladies? Seems harsh. Ban old ladies wearing cheap perfume? YES. If they're allowed to wear perfume at all, they need to keep the receipt and prove they bought it at Nordstroms rather than Walmart. Walmart perfume. Nasty.

Old 07-31-12, 07:32 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5469 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
I would much, much rather put up with people smoking in public than have them chewing and spitting in public. I think we should make a law that anyone who spits on the sidewalk should have to lick it up. I won't go on my friends boat because he chews. That is f'ing nasty.
Old 08-01-12, 05:53 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rx Rider
an allergic reaction is the immune system responding. so there could be an allergy to the proteins found in tobacco. once up in smoke the proteins are gone and any physiological conditions become neurologically caused. so the "smoke allergy" can't exist. you can't fight allergy like symptoms it with allergy meds because the immune systems isn't doing anything.
It could be a big deal if a doctor treated an "near allergy" like an allergy and gave you every med on the planet to help your immune system and it turned out to be a neurological problem instead. fortunately for us doctors don't make mistakes.
An allergen is not limited to proteins--most of the time they are proteins, but they are not limited to proteins. In general, most reactions related to cigarette smoke are sensitivity responses to an irritant, but I wouldn't out right dismiss the possibility that there are cases, though rare, of genuine allergies to cigarette smoke. Allergy or just sensitivity, cigarette smoke is unpleasant to many.

allergen [al´er-jen] 1. a substance, protein or nonprotein, capable of inducing allergy or specific hypersensitivity.
2. a purified protein of a food (such as milk, eggs, or wheat), bacterium, or pollen. adj., adj allergen´ic. Allergens are used to test a patient for hypersensitivity to specific substances (see skin test). They are also used to desensitize or hyposensitize allergic individuals (see immunotherapy).

Almost any substance in the environment can be an allergen. The list of known allergens includes plant pollens, spores of mold, animal dander, house dust, foods, feathers, dyes, soaps, detergents, cosmetics, plastics, and drugs. Allergens can enter the body by being inhaled, swallowed, touched, or injected. Once the allergen comes in contact with body cells it sets off a series of immune responses that can range from localized inflammation to a fatal systemic anaphylaxis.

Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.
allergen
1. a substance, protein or nonprotein, capable of inducing allergy or specific hypersensitivity.
2. an extract of any substance known to cause allergy.
Allergens are used to test a patient for hypersensitivity to specific substances (see skin test). They are also used to densensitize or hyposensitize allergic individuals. See immunotherapy.
Almost any substance in the environment can be an allergen. The list of known allergens includes plant pollens, spores of mold, food preservatives, dyes, drugs, inorganic chemicals and vaccines. Allergens can enter the body by being inhaled, swallowed, touched or injected. Following primary exposure to an allergen, subsequent exposures result in hypersensitivity (allergic) reactions which may be immediate or delayed, local or systemic and include anaphylaxis and contact dermatitis.

[HR][/HR]alum-precipated allergen an allergen extract used in intradermal and scratch allergy skin testing; the allergen is adsorbed onto alum to slow antigen release and provide a slower, more persistent immune stimulation. Local tissue reactions and skin nodules may follow their use.

aqueous allergen a form of allergen extract used in intradermal and scratch allergy skin testing. In hyposensitization regimes, it is rapidly absorbed, but requires more frequent administration.

emulsion allergen allergen extracts prepared in propylene glycol glycerin, or mineral oil. They give the most sustained effect when used in hyposensitization regimes.

Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary, 3 ed. © 2007 Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved
Old 08-01-12, 10:16 AM
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's very informative mr. Bikey Mikey, thanks for that. and add that cigarette smoke isn't unpleasant to many but to all. there's nothing better than a smoke on a windy day, blows all that nasty smoke away. everyone hates the smoke. I've seen a happy little dog throw fits when a smoker lit up.

I hope CB HI doesn't suffer from both an allergy to the tobacco plant and the reaction some suffer from the smoke. that would suck. especially if he lived in VA. I wonder if the illness folks like big john and cb would be the same from burning "plain" tobacco vs. a real cigarette. that would be a shame if the chemicals made the reaction worse. still haven't heard what a fresh banana tastes like btw. any different than the green rocks they sell at the market?

Last edited by Rx Rider; 08-01-12 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-01-12, 10:57 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Dnvr,

I hate the smell of cigarette smoke so much that I actually get a very upset stomach if there is a lot of cigarette smoke in the area. It sometimes gets to where I almost puke. I have often thought of going to the smokers and heaving on them and then telling them, "Since your smoke, that I shared with you, is what caused me to puke, I just thought you might want to share the results with me." I would probably would get my a$$ kicked, but it would be nice to make that point.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-01-12, 11:18 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Saw a t-shirt once with those two characters by Matt Groening, the ones wearing fez'z.(Jeff and Akbar) One says "Mind if I smoke?"; the other says, "No, mind if I fart?"
Reminds me of something I heard long ago - having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a public pool.
Old 08-01-12, 12:46 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
+1 I was thinking the same thing - the somewhat rare lady doused in perfume. I think of it as a perfume bomb.

When I was younger there was no escaping smoke fumes. It's much better now - so much so that I can detect smokers several car lengths ahead of me.

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Holy Granolie, can't someone enjoy a good old-fashioned rant these days?

Denver, I'm with you on this one.

But wait: I really hate crappy perfume worn by old ladies with no sense of smell. I don't like it when young ladies wear bad perfume, either, but at least they tend not to bathe in it.

The worst? When they douse themselves in cheap nasty smelling perfume to cover up their tobacco smell. Yuck. It's disgusting.

Whats the answer? Ban old ladies? Seems harsh. Ban old ladies wearing cheap perfume? YES. If they're allowed to wear perfume at all, they need to keep the receipt and prove they bought it at Nordstroms rather than Walmart. Walmart perfume. Nasty.
Old 08-01-12, 01:39 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In general, for nearly all establishments in VA, smoking is banned in restaurants. There are exceptions: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/breatheeasy/faqs.htm
Old 08-01-12, 02:18 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Do we in the 50+ thread really have this little to do with our time?

Everyone is penalized 30 minutes of riding time. Get off the computers and go ride-NOW!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 08-02-12, 12:40 AM
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Rx Rider
that's very informative mr. Bikey Mikey, thanks for that. and add that cigarette smoke isn't unpleasant to many but to all. there's nothing better than a smoke on a windy day, blows all that nasty smoke away. everyone hates the smoke. I've seen a happy little dog throw fits when a smoker lit up.

I hope CB HI doesn't suffer from both an allergy to the tobacco plant and the reaction some suffer from the smoke. that would suck. especially if he lived in VA. I wonder if the illness folks like big john and cb would be the same from burning "plain" tobacco vs. a real cigarette. that would be a shame if the chemicals made the reaction worse. still haven't heard what a fresh banana tastes like btw. any different than the green rocks they sell at the market?
First do you mean Isoamyl acetate? I did not respond to that comment because it was not clear. Have you ever smelled Isoamyl acetate?

One of the reasons for living in Hawaii, is the trade winds quickly take care of most of the problems. Things have been even better, since the last two smoking co-workers were let go.

Camel cigarettes is the only brand that I know of that has an irritant that has a strong impact on me. I do not know the secret chemical that Camel puts in, but a single breath of it's second hand smoke is enough to cause my tear duct drains to swell up and back up the fluids around my eyes until they are forced closed and I cannot see. Before the smoking restrictions, I would miss work a couple times a year because of Camel smokers.
Old 08-02-12, 12:43 AM
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Daspydyr

Everyone is penalized 30 minutes of riding time. Get off the computers and go ride-NOW!
This from someone that agreed to be a MOD.
Old 08-02-12, 07:00 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by cb hi
camel cigarettes is the only brand that i know of that has an irritant that has a strong impact on me. I do not know the secret chemical that the camel puts in, .
fify.
Old 08-02-12, 09:15 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr

OK, I rode. What are we supposed to do now? Anyone ever smoked corn silk?

Old 08-02-12, 11:47 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rode 38 miles starting at 4:20 AM before Daspydyr's post and 38 miles this morning starting at 5:30AM...I think I can spend the time on the computer.
Old 08-04-12, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Freedom's a *****. It's dangerous, inconvenient to others, and costs society. Too bad.
Old 08-04-12, 02:18 AM
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Camilo
Freedom's a *****. It's dangerous, inconvenient to others, and costs society. Too bad.
I bet you would have a different view on freedom if I was blowing irritant smoke in your face.

Your freedom ends at my breathing zone.
Old 08-04-12, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Smoking's a *****. It's dangerous, inconvenient to others, and costs society. It is for these reasons that we have more and more anti-smoking regulations throughout the country.
fify
Old 08-04-12, 08:12 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Well, this has certainly been one of the more interesting threads lately. Since we're so far off the original topic, how about a look at some cigarette ads? Advertising
and marketing are something of a side hobby of mine. Gotta love the various methods and means they use to get us to buy stuff.

Like these.

Dakota was a brand from RJ reynolds, targeted toward what they called "Virile Females". This meant women aged 18 to 40, who were not college educated, worked assembly line or waitress jobs, etc. I don't think they ever made it beyond the test marketing stage. And how could you not love "Joe Camel"? Wasn't there a ruckus when twelve year olds started showing up at school wearing t-shirts with Joe on them? Yep, love those marketing types.

And let us not forget Uptown cigarettes!

These were targeted toward urban blacks. Again, they never made it past the test marketing stage.

All this aside, a beautiful blonde woman, in high heels, shorts, and lots of cleavage showing, makes me want to run right out to the home depot and buy power tools. How about you guys? (Tongue firmly in cheek here..)
Old 08-04-12, 11:43 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
You can't smell my chocolate covered peanuts.

I can smell your $%#@! cigarette, and the smell is uniformly offensive.
If governments didn't make billions off tobacco taxes and billions more off tobacco company profits, they would ban smoking all together. Although I sometimes wonder if the billions spent on treating smoking related illness and the billions more in lost productivity when smokers are off work due to that illness and off for there smoke break, while smokers are busy working, doesn't counteract most of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.