Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

erosion of fat in ball or heel of foot?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-10-12, 07:19 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts

My wife's visit to a podiatrist today unfortunately confirmed my diagnosis of fat erosion in the ball of the foot. This is hard on her, because ballet is her preferred form of exercise, and the only "cure" sounds like a dreadful not-recommend round of bone-resectioning surgery. Have any of you experienced something similar in either the heel or the ball of the foot? I told her about the steel shanks in cycling shoes and how these probably protect us from having similar problems with every pedal power stroke.

While she is dealing with this, I am still working with chronic Achilles pain on the right and a nasty case of plantar fasciitis on the left. Various Dr. Scholl's shoe insert pads have been very helpful, as have calf stretches. As long as I spin in the low gears, I am fine, but this puts a bit of a cramp on my passion for hill climbs.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-10-12, 07:24 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Sorry to hear of your wife and your foot problems John. Hope you both can get things straightened out. The surgical option for her does sound pretty drastic. Nothing to offer, haven't had foot or ankle problems.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-10-12, 07:26 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I am still working with chronic Achilles pain on the right and a nasty case of plantar fasciitis on the left. Various Dr. Scholl's shoe insert pads have been very helpful, as have calf stretches. As long as I spin in the low gears, I am fine, but this puts a bit of a cramp on my passion for hill climbs.
Ditto - it is not fun. Sorry about your wife, and have nothing to offer. I am going through PT with various treatments, and the best have been real - not Dr Scholls - heel lifts, which give the tendon a chance to rest a bit even while walking.
Old 08-10-12, 08:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
once you get that tendonitis calmed down, it might behoove you to get into some sort of serious systematic stretching program for your legs, maybe yoga. tight hip flexors, hamstrings, IT bands all can result in calf pulls/tears, achilles inflamation and even PF. esp when you're riding, thousands of pedal strokes under load per ride. it is all connected, you know!
Old 08-10-12, 08:17 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My AT problem is the direct result of an injury - a boot with a fold (break) that started when I was on a snow hike. My PT states that this is a common injury in construction workers for the same reason. It was not associated with bicycling or lack of stretching.
Old 08-10-12, 08:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How old is your wife?
Many "older" people complain of foot pain due to or are diagnosed with "fat pad erosion", but the reality is that the fat pads are pretty much gone by age 22! So if she's 23 or more that's to be expected.
Typicaly the thining of the "pads" after that is due to muscular atrophy, since the sole of the foot rarely gets the proper workout any more these days.
I have been a barefoot runner and cyclist for several years now, and have developed NOT callouses but thick pads of muscle under a thin but tough layer of plantar sole.
A few good resources here:

https://www.americaspodiatrist.com/

thebarefootrunners.org