Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Riding and Cholesterol drugs

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike Riding and Cholesterol drugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-05, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My family doctor says he has seen far more frequent side effects from niacin than with statins. The current thinking is that if you tolerate statins well (i.e. no muscle pain and normal liver function blood tests) that statins are the gold standard as far as drug therapy for lowering cholesterol goes. As far I as I know niacin is used to boost HDL, I do not know if it lowers LDL.
Old 02-24-05, 05:31 PM
Ravnhaus

Bikes: '05 Gary Fisher Tassajara, '94 GF Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fsor
Concerning niacin....do you have any trouble with rash/hot flashes? It damn near set me afire at 1000mg.
When I first start using it the effects were more intense. My skin felt like sunburn feels on the third day, sort of tight and tingly. They lasted about 20 min at first and then less as time went on. After a couple of weeks I hardly noticed them at all. I still get a little flush every now and then, but I am used to it and it is really no bother. I think a lot of people get put off by that and they don't stay with it long enough.
I take one dose right before bed, so I never notice that one. The other I take right after lunch on a full stomach.
It may not be for everyone but it sure is working for me. Flushing is the only side effect I have ever had. After reading all the dangers and side effects of statins and comparing them with niacin it was an easy decision for me.
We are the test generation for the statins. Who knows what the future will show about these drugs. I hope to avoid them if possible, however I definitely do not want a stroke. If I feel I need them I will use them.
So far good eating, exercise, and niacin seem to be doing the job. I do also take Omega 3 fish oil pills, which may also contribute.
Old 02-24-05, 05:38 PM
Ravnhaus

Bikes: '05 Gary Fisher Tassajara, '94 GF Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BaadDawg
As far I as I know niacin is used to boost HDL, I do not know if it lowers LDL.
I ask my doc that question and he assured me it did. He told me that he is getting away from statins if at all possible and trying niacin as an alternative due to the possible side effects of statins.
But on a side note he does sells niacin and vitamin packs from his office... hmmm...
I do purchase mine from other sources (cheaper!)
Old 02-27-05, 10:45 AM

Bikes: Peter Mooney (touring), Bike Friday Pocket Rocket (road), Bike Friday Air Glide (touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 52, and I've been on Lipitor for quite a few years - at least 5, probably more. I put a lot of miles on my bicycles, and I've had no muscle weakness at all. If you're on a statin drug and experiencing problems like this, I'd recommend that you ask your doctor to switch you to a different drug.
Old 02-27-05, 06:34 PM
Ride it, don't fondle it!

Bikes: Raleigh M80, Bacchetta AERO, Bacchetta GIRO, BikeE, 83' TREK 970, Catrike Speed, IRO Fixie/SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
What experiences have you had with Statin drugs like Lipitor and bike performance? One of the side effects of long term use of statin drugs is muscle weakness. Many people over the age of 50 are on some kind of cholesterol lowering medicine.
After I turned fifty I started getting a physical once a year and checkup 6mos later. My Interist was suprised to see that my cholesterol was at unacceptable levels considering that he knows what my riding routine is. So on lipitor I went and I paid more attention to my diet. In 6mos. I was at the desired levels. I then went off Lipitor 6 mos. later, as I hate to take any medication and even with diet and exercise it went to **** again...so back on it I went. I have not had any muscle or liver issues. I get it checked every 6 mos. I seem to be one of the types that has a genetic pre-disposition to high bad/low good.

As was stated before...If you have abnormal muscle pain or weakness while on any statin, discontinue and see your MD ASAP.

Jude
Old 03-02-05, 06:49 AM

Bikes: GT3 trike,Viper chopper, electric assist Viper chopper,Electric moped(Vespa style)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"We (or at least I) need to ask why so many doctors and pharma companies are pushing statins, etc. so hard. Many members of the past few generations lived well into their 90s without these medications."

A lot more died from heart attacks, strokes and cancer. The most common cause of death currently in America is heart failure thus the pushing of these drugs, the average life expectancy continues to climb not decline.
Some people myself included generate more cholesterol than the body needs even with zero dietary cholesterol (you should try eating without any cholesterol at all).
Yes some people abuse the drugs by not changing life style etc.
But to many this is the only hope of extending their lives.
A slightly touchy subject for me as I had a heart attack and Quad bypass before I reached 40 despite a good diet, active lifestyle (I was kayak surfing just before the heart attack) and I pumped iron for years before this happened.
Lipitor might help buy me a decade which in view of the damage to my arteries is probaly close to miraculous.
Old 03-02-05, 09:12 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I've been on statins for probably 10 years. My total cholestrol has always been borderline high-240 with an all time high of 280. 20 years ago I dieted hard and exercised regularly and dropped all the way from 240 to 228, whooped de doo.....Genetics, Genetics, Genetics.......3 years ago I started cycling and lost 50 pounds-heart rate dropped-blood pressure droped. My cholestrol dropped a little but still hovered around 240. Genetics, Genetics, Genetics. We doubled the dosage of lovastatin a couple years ago and now my cholestrol is 150-170. I had it checked last week and it was 162. I don't like taking the statins but have not had any side effects at this point except for lower cholestrol levels.
Old 03-06-05, 03:10 PM
just here

Bikes: Raleigh and Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excersise, diet, 1000mg ANTI-FLUSH NIACIN, 1 tablespoon meta-mucil has lower my hereditary cholesterol from 280 to 230, LDL from 173 to 140 and LIPOPROTEIN from 45.3 to 35.6 in 2 yrs...

STATINS? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' STATINS!!!
Old 06-02-05, 04:39 PM
Back in the Saddle again

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale T1000; 1989 Fisher Paragon; 1975 Raleigh Supercourse.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An article in a Doctor's office magazine (perhaps Prevention) stated that taking the supplement 7Keto ( a derivative of DHEA) has been shown to raise HDL's. I am on my first bottle and cannot confirm this but will let you know my results.
Old 06-02-05, 06:05 PM
Ridin' a Long Time.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've read a lot on Policosanol, a supplement. In tests it lowers cholesterol as much as statins with no side effects. I haven't started it yet as I'm still studying it. One-a=Day vitamins recently added it to their vitamins.
Old 06-03-05, 05:14 PM

Bikes: C'dale - R600 / Santana tandem / Giant MB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C'mon Guys! There seems to be WAY too many of you worrying about your "high" cholesterol. Cholesterol is NOT the villain it is portrayed by the "experts". Sorry but I've become a skeptic and am continuing my "education" in the "rest of the story" (as Paul Harvey would say).

Here's an excellent article about beef but it transforms quickly into the topic of cholesterol. Enjoy!

https://www.westonaprice.org/mythstruths/mtbeef.html
Old 06-04-05, 03:08 PM
Live to Ride,Ride to Live

Bikes: 2 - GT Panteras of different vintages, Trek 1100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fsor
Concerning niacin....do you have any trouble with rash/hot flashes? It damn near set me afire at 1000mg.
Yeah, I spent the afternoon in the emergency room one Sunday getting IV Benadryl. Isn't that special?
Old 06-04-05, 07:06 PM

Bikes: K2 MTB; Iron Horse Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started on 500 mg niaspan at night and no real problems at all. Take a small childrens aspirin about an hour before sleep. If I am getting any flushes its not really significant so far.

Geo
Old 06-05-05, 11:05 AM

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
After having substantial muscle pains with Lipitor and Zocor I took a two month break. I've just finished two weeks of Crestor with the same results. The dosage was only 5mg compared with 20mg for the first two drugs. I was OK for the first few days but then the pain started to build slowly. It never got quite as bad as the Lipitor and Zocor but it was like having the flu most of the time and also included headaches...which I didn't have with the first two drugs.

My overall is 264, HDL is 36 and LDL is 185. Overall those ratios are BAD and it's genetic. I'm 56, 5'5", 130 lbs and workout regularly.

I'm bummed. I'm looking at Oat Bran and Niacin but that's a difficult lifestlyle to live, I think.

I don't think there are too many more drug options left...guess I need to start looking at alternative options. But with that it seems most of what you get a lot of anectodotal stuff with some
well meaning loonies throw in.

Guess I'll go ride. If I'm going to die of a heart attack out on the road is as good a place as any.
Old 06-06-05, 06:53 AM
Ridin' a Long Time.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried a supplement called Policosanol? From what I've read, it lowers your cholesterol as much as a statin with no side effects. I've not started it yet because I'm trying to learn more. It also has a blood thinning effect, similar to 100 mg of asprin. You might look into it. BTW, if you get it, get the kind made of sugar cane and not bees wax. I understand the former works and the latter does not.

If anyone uses this, I'd like to hear from them.
Old 06-06-05, 10:55 AM

Bikes: C'dale - R600 / Santana tandem / Giant MB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
After having substantial muscle pains with Lipitor and Zocor I took a two month break. I've just finished two weeks of Crestor with the same results. The dosage was only 5mg compared with 20mg for the first two drugs. I was OK for the first few days but then the pain started to build slowly. It never got quite as bad as the Lipitor and Zocor but it was like having the flu most of the time and also included headaches...which I didn't have with the first two drugs.

My overall is 264, HDL is 36 and LDL is 185. Overall those ratios are BAD and it's genetic. I'm 56, 5'5", 130 lbs and workout regularly.

I'm bummed. I'm looking at Oat Bran and Niacin but that's a difficult lifestlyle to live, I think.

I don't think there are too many more drug options left...guess I need to start looking at alternative options. But with that it seems most of what you get a lot of anectodotal stuff with some
well meaning loonies throw in.

Guess I'll go ride. If I'm going to die of a heart attack out on the road is as good a place as any.
Man I really feel your pain here! If you have the time or inclination to read this article, it will shed some light on what the REAL culpritS are for causing heart disease. See, I just do not buy into all the hubbub about cholesterol being the cause of HD. Take a look, I think you'll feel a bit better...

https://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/hd.html

BTW, I'm NOT a "loonie" either!
Old 06-06-05, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by ohiorider
Man I really feel your pain here! If you have the time or inclination to read this article, it will shed some light on what the REAL culpritS are for causing heart disease. See, I just do not buy into all the hubbub about cholesterol being the cause of HD. Take a look, I think you'll feel a bit better...

https://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/hd.html

BTW, I'm NOT a "loonie" either!
How do I know? What color is the sky where you're from and when was the last time you were abducted?

Thanks, I'll check out the article.

Steve
Old 06-16-05, 05:50 AM

Bikes: '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I couldn't tolerate the statins because of muscle weakness and fatigue. I tried several. I'm now on 2000 mg. Niaspan (niacin). It has done the job with the cholesterol, but there's is still the threat of liver damage, much like the statins.

Last edited by Lion Steve; 06-16-05 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-16-05, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Steve
I couldn't tolerate the statins because of muscle weakness and fatigue. I tried several. I'm now on 2000 mg. Niaspan (niacin). It has done the job with the cholesterol, but there's is still the threat of liver damage, much like the statins.
Thanks. Yea, the niacin is the next try along with another non-statin drug.

I do not like this approach at all. A pre-emptive strike for somthing I don't yet have that "may" cause damage to another part of my body. OH....and it'll cost you money as well. Aaarrgh.

Steve
Old 06-16-05, 04:14 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ravnhaus
I went to the Doc's last July and had the test.
Total 333! LDL 235!
Changed my diet (less BBQ, more fish & veggies), began a regular exercise program, and the doc put me on niacin. Started at 500 mg per day, jacked it to 1000, then doubled to 1000 twice a day.
Last checkup yielded a total of 205 with a LDL of 123. Not perfect numbers, but getting close, and so far no statins needed.
Niacin does give you flushing or hot flashes for a while right after you take it, but it seems to get better the longer you take it, or maybe I am just getting used to it. Something is working, probably a combination of all of the above. A lot of doctors are using more niacin and less statins. You would want to check with a doctor before starting it on your own. Mine insists that the time release is not the way to go and always use a crystalline type (he recommends Twin Labs brand).
There are 2 sides to the niacin story. Serious, even fatal side effects have been reported. I would check with a physician before trying nacin or any other drug. Some people are "anti-medicine." I wish them luck. They will probably need it!
Old 06-17-05, 11:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High cholesterol is about the only problem I don't have. I've been fighting High Blood pressure for over 10 years and found out in April I am diabetic. Getting older sucks. Since I got back on my bike and started eating only about 1500 calories a day I have lost about 25 lbs and got my blood sugar to where it supposed to be and the bood pressure in back to normal.

You ask what this got to do with the thread going here. All the drugs I take all make me feel like I have on energy or I get pooped out after just a short ride. I got to force myself to keep going. It takes a longer time to get warmed up and going good. The point being no matter what drugs you take it does have side effects and you need to read up on what they are and ask your Doc what to expect and thel him/her what you are experiencing. Example one of my BP drugs keeps my heart from beating fast so it takes a lot of work to get it going.
Old 06-17-05, 06:24 PM

Bikes: '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
Thanks. Yea, the niacin is the next try along with another non-statin drug.

I do not like this approach at all. A pre-emptive strike for somthing I don't yet have that "may" cause damage to another part of my body. OH....and it'll cost you money as well. Aaarrgh.

Steve
I agree. I don't either. I'm 55years old, 6'0 150 lbs, never had any weight issues, and have eaten a VERY low fat diet for years. Family history dictates problems looming in the future. My mother died of heart disease at age 43, so I'm looking at the cholesterol issue with open eyes.
Old 06-17-05, 11:19 PM
Old Woman on a Catrike

Bikes: Catrike 5.5.9., Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took Lipitor for about a year and a half. Very slowly, I began loosing strength in my legs and having pain. I kept attributing the problem(s) to getting older. As time went on, I quit exercising because it was too painful - could hardly walk after sitting for 15 minutes or so. I was even looking around the house to see what would need to be done to make it wheelchair accessible.

Finally, went to the Dr. and said I wanted off of Lipitor and described what had been happening. She agreed and told me to see how I felt in a couple of months.

The difference was amazing - within a couple of weeks, I felt good enough to do some walking. Within a month, bought a new bike and started riding again. Was proud of being able to do a mile or two.

Now, it's 4 months later, I'm biking about 65 miles a week - one longer ride on Sundays and 10 miles Monday - Friday. Feel like a new person! I will NEVER take a statin drug again. If I have to die of high cholestorol, so be it.

Most people can take these drugs with no problem, but... if you have any problems with pain or weakness, don't let it continue on without talking to your doctor!
Old 06-18-05, 07:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just curious about 1 thing Lookingup. You state that over a 2 year period you graadually lost muscle and energy, that you have now recovered from since off statins.

While you were on them were you getting liver function tests every 6 months and were they abnormal?
Old 06-18-05, 10:06 PM
Old Woman on a Catrike

Bikes: Catrike 5.5.9., Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BaadDawg
Just curious about 1 thing Lookingup. You state that over a 2 year period you graadually lost muscle and energy, that you have now recovered from since off statins.

While you were on them were you getting liver function tests every 6 months and were they abnormal?
Had blood tests periodically and nothing abnormal (other than high cholesterol) showed up. I should have gone to the Doc much earlier... but, like I said, thought it was just age finally catching up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.