Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

No rider left behind

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

No rider left behind

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-12, 03:59 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Bottom line is that it is up to you to understand the culture of the group ride and adapt to it, rather than the other way way around. Many ride descriptions on websites haven't been changed since they were created, were probably overly optimistic to begin with (e.g., we will have three different groups, with assigned leaders), and the nature of the ride has evolved over time. The only way to know what is going on is to do the ride and to talk to the regulars.
I understand. It is so doggone difficult to update a website with an accurate description!!
Old 08-08-12, 04:10 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone who is going to ride a lot needs to just get over being dropped. It's just part of the process, and it's motivation to get stronger.
How many folks do you think there are that aren't riding because they got dropped early in their experience?

I don't see how a club or a shop sponsoring a ride can avoid liability if they don't make at least some effort to keep track of folks. My local club is so careful to have you sign waivers, but they will drop you in a heartbeat. And I'm not talking about A or B riders, there just isn't any effort to keep track of those flagging off the back unless you ride with the coffee and pie ride late in the morning. Try and find that information on the website, or from a ride leader.

And I get dropped frequently, and usually consider it part of the day. But dangit, be what you say you are! If you advertise no-drop, or casual, or whatever, make sure you are that! I was dropped off the faster group - admittedly over my head - on a ride last summer. Cue sheets were given to all of us, but there were NO road signs except at the highways. Made a lucky choice and found the group at the rest stop, otherwise I would probably still be trying to find my way home....
Old 08-08-12, 04:14 PM

Bikes: Cannondale,Trek, Raleigh, Univega, Schwinn Panther, Peugot course, Benotto, many others

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to go up to Milwaukee Wisconsin to ride the Milwaukee 64, they had painted directions for the turns right on the street. you couldn't get lost because they had also given out a printed map and route sheet. In addition to this there were ride monitors and a sag wagon. I guess I was spoiled. anyway the same routine was common in the apple cider century etc. I rode TOSRV about ten times heck they had the national guard out for us, and when some kids who had been drinking thot it would be fun to run some riders off the road with their car and shouting obscenities. suddenly had a Huey uh1b helicopter land in fron of them and hold them with their M16s pointed at them for the state police to take them into custody
Old 08-08-12, 04:14 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
When I started out in 2006, there were two classes of rides in my club, the Rochester Bicycling Club. There was "Slow and Easy" where anything in the double-digits was considered a dizzying pace, and all the rest of the rides.

I spoke with the club president and then with the board about the need for something in between for transitioning riders and those who just can't or won't hammer.

The next year they introduced "Sweeps" rides, where the ride leader leads from behind (sort of like generals in the military) and sweeps the ride, leaving no rider left behind. (Unless they choose to drop, of course). I was asked to lead several rides, which I was delighted to do, and I still lead rides in this manner. Larger rides can have two leaders, one at the front and one sweeping.

Those were such a hit, that two years later we put in a fourth class of rides, "Social", which include either food or ice cream stops or both.

That went over so well that now there's a whole second section of the club composed mainly of retirees, who ride during the weekday mornings. They are based on the "Social" rides and generally leave no rider behind, but the ride leader can in the ride announcement set a higher pace.

All it took was speaking up at the club. It turned out that I wasn't the only one who felt left out, and the club has become larger and stronger because of it.

Another club I've heard of has a class of rides called "Stop, Drop, and Roll" where the whole group rotates through. At each turn the lead rider "stops and drops". They wait for the last rider to pass, then "roll". This keeps the whole group together and helps newbies learn the course. This type of ride can successfully mix riders of all preferred speeds, which is the goal of that fairly small club, which isn't large enough to support multiple classes of rides.

Last edited by tsl; 08-08-12 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-08-12, 05:32 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I led rides for a group of seniors for a couple of years - from our church. About 10 - 15 folks. We went slow, stopped regularly and waited until everyone was together, and then a bit more for those last folks to get their breath.

Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the rides, realizing it wasn't some sort of contest, but instead a social and fitness activity - maybe 15 miles. We always stopped for food of some sort.

Unfortunately, many of the folks have moved, some have developed medical conditions, and I found that I was competing with golf!!

So, for a couple of years it was great.

Not all rides are "rides" in the sense of you pace line folks or similar.

Now, I ride by myself, and still thoroughly enjoy it.
Old 08-08-12, 05:43 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by david58
I understand. It is so doggone difficult to update a website with an accurate description!!
For most clubs, I suspect it is. There is some poor soul that is stuck with occasionally figuring out how to make changes. That and the fact that everyone knows what the ride is like and hasn't had a reason to read the description in years, so they don't realize it is no longer valid unless someone tells them.
Old 08-08-12, 05:49 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Anyone who is going to ride a lot needs to just get over being dropped. It's just part of the process, and it's motivation to get stronger.
I tend to agree but have had to adapt to a whole new attitude in the last few years. when I started to ride with our group I was lucky to be in the same zip code most of the time. I did have to learn where the regroup points were and where the coffee break would be and that took time to get used to. I started with the C group and when I got a road bike I moved to the B group. I was well on my way working to get into the A group when one of the ride leaders moved. The club president was next to leave and I ended up being one of the senior members and was selected as the senior ride leader. It took little or no time to realize that no matter what I tried someone was going to get dropped. Maybe not dropped as the group saw it because they all knew we would be stopping to regroup, about a half of a mile after a rider dropped off the back. But the dropped rider never seemed to realize we would be stopping and waiting for them. I tried assiging sweep riders but sometimes that didn't work either because the dropped rider still felt like the group had left them. Now if someone fall off of the back I go back to rie with them or one of my close friends who leads weekend rides stays with them. I post a ride report after every ride with pictures and I post a detailed map from Mapmaride and ridewithgps that gives turn by turn instructions the day before the next group ride. Does that make everyone happy? Not on your life, someone will still get dropped by their standards. I give out my cell number and ask for theirs. Sometimes they don't want to exchange numbers if they are new even if I have handed them mine.

Have I lost new riders even with all of these things in Play? Yep and sometimes thay don't come back. But the ones that say and try to learn how the group works have become friends and I enjoy riding with them. I have had to learn one real truth in life, you simply cannot make everyone happy. I still try but sometimes it simply doesn't work.
Old 08-08-12, 05:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree you just have to find the right club. My club has rides of all levels, classified A-D. All of the C and D, and many of the B rides, are no drop. They have sweeps, and regroup periodically. At the regroups they count riders to make sure everyone is accounted for. One time we were riding and as we were leaving a rest stop I realized I had forgotten my gloves and had to go back. I told the, I would catch up. Of course as I was leaving I got a flat. I replaced the tube and took of again. I then made a wrong turn and when I realized it and turned around I got a second flat. Unfortunately I only had the one tube. Luckily there was a shopping center nearby so j walked the bike there and caled a cab. A few minutes later I got a call I my cell. It was the ride leader asking if I was OK. I told him what happened and he offered to pick me up in his car. I told him that I had already called a cab. A few hours later he called me again just to make sure i was OK Needless to say I love this club
Old 08-08-12, 05:51 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by david58
How many folks do you think there are that aren't riding because they got dropped early in their experience?

I don't see how a club or a shop sponsoring a ride can avoid liability if they don't make at least some effort to keep track of folks. My local club is so careful to have you sign waivers, but they will drop you in a heartbeat. And I'm not talking about A or B riders, there just isn't any effort to keep track of those flagging off the back unless you ride with the coffee and pie ride late in the morning. Try and find that information on the website, or from a ride leader.

And I get dropped frequently, and usually consider it part of the day. But dangit, be what you say you are! If you advertise no-drop, or casual, or whatever, make sure you are that! I was dropped off the faster group - admittedly over my head - on a ride last summer. Cue sheets were given to all of us, but there were NO road signs except at the highways. Made a lucky choice and found the group at the rest stop, otherwise I would probably still be trying to find my way home....
I have no idea how many people get discouraged by it. I wasn't. I was dropped by a group whose B ride was allegedly no-drop, for months, until I got strong enough to make it to the regroup stops before they left those. Their idea (and it's true for many groups) of no-drop is to regroup often. I occasionally got mixed up and took an "alternate route" early on, as well. They did publish the routes in advance, and I considered it my responsibility to follow it after I was dropped. And I didn't expect them to wait for me when I was that much slower. It would have totally changed the character of their ride. What I'm saying is that it is a shared responsibility. Don't jump in with a group you can't keep up with, unless you are willing to be self sufficient when you are dropped. There is no excuse for not knowing a route. Some clubs change every week, but some ride the exact same route every week, and don't have to bother with published routes or cue cards. Don't start a ride unless you know where you are going, or are willing to make your way back on your own from wherever you end up. Self sufficiency is important. Smart phones are awesome.
Old 08-08-12, 06:34 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
The group I ride with has the problem in reverse. We have a slow group with a posted average of 10 mph. The group frequently gets riders who have no business being in the group who keep urging us to pick up the pace. Hey, we go at that pace because it all some of the riders can manage.

We give them a map of the route, tell them to head on out at their pace and that we'll pick them up if the have problems. And then we tell them that next time they might want to consider the 12 mph group.
Old 08-08-12, 07:59 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
The key is to have a cue sheet and a GPS enabled phone. I don't mind getting dropped as long as I can find my way back to the car.

Some groups are just cliquish. I rode a local Populaire which started off by the captain taking a wrong turn. As I ride a bent, it's not always easy to whip around. I did but got caught behind a red light. I didn't see the group for 32 miles. It was rude, but I got over it quickly because I couldn't have held the group's wheel anyway. That and the self-reliant spirit of randonneuring and all that crap.

As they say, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...I just won't ride with a group that has been less than encouraging.

On a positive note, many Loovulians are members of the Southern Indiana Wheelmen because they tend to be more laid back. I think I've put more miles in with them this year than with the Loovul Bike Club.

Old 08-08-12, 08:18 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
We used to have group of about 8 of us riding offroad. It was definitely a NO Drop ride but due to the different fitness/Forte of various riders- you rarely rode as a group all the time. Hills are where we used to break up as every one rides hills in their own way. What we did though was at the top of every hill- or 1/2 mile past it- we would regroup. Every part of the trail where there was a junction- we would regroup. We never lost any one on a ride and in general we always stayed in contact with each other. We even took new riders out with us on occasions and if they were slow up hills one of the riders took it in turns to stay with them. If they were young and fit then there would also be a few that could stay with the fastest of them.

Even did the big ride in the south of 100 miles offroad as a group with a few hangers on and this system worked well

But on the road and I have yet to find a group that suits me. The mind set of the riders is different to what I like and am used to. But out on the organised metrics and Long rides that I do- My old MTB group and a few newer riders get together to enjoy a ride. One last year and a couple of new riders that were not fit- never done more than 20 miles at a time and never taken in steep hills let alone plenty of them joined us. They struggled and we always had someone back with them. Surprising thing was that it was never the same rider struggling and we all enjoyed the ride.

It is a matter of finding a group that suits your pace- style of riding and attitude. I have yet to find one since I stopped riding offroad.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-09-12, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by rrg
So why do we want to get ride with a group, when they don't even ride with each other? I mean, what's the point, other than setting your own personal best. Or showing off your $3000 bike?
The same reason we join any group or go to a social event. Some of us are team people and can learn things form others. Some people like to shoot baskets by themselves others would rather shoot baskets with others. There are those that don't like being around other people, cyclists, or not.

But I agree roadies do tend to run in bunches. And it doesn't matter how much their bikes cost they like talking with other roadies after the ride. Maybe it is more like it was when we were kids. All the neighborhood kids tended to hang out together on their bikes, skates or skateboards because they all enjoyed their company and their choice of transportation. But I ride with a group because I like the people and the safety in numbers. I am pretty sure my bike would cost pretty much the same even if I rode by myself.
Old 08-09-12, 10:56 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride with 2 clubs, one for 8 years and the other for 2 years. When I first started looking for a club to ride with, I called the chapter leader. The ride desc on the website was accurate: 50 mile rides @ 15 mph ave. I had an idea of my ability but it was still a guess on my part. A 15 mph ave to some means they can cruise for a while at 15 mph, when actually it means there will probably be stretches of flats where the pace is closer to 20.
Both groups I ride with have frequent regroups, but are not no drop. Keep looking for a group that is comfortable for you, aquist, or, as AzTallRider says, train to stay with a stronger group.
Old 08-09-12, 11:22 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I started attending our shop's Thursday night training rides late last season, and started out with their C-level "fun & fitness" group, which is no-drop and welcomes riders of all abilities on all kinds of bikes. And even if the C rides weren't no-drop, I don't imagine too many riders would have trouble finding their way back, as all of the routes are thoroughly dan-henried, whether A, B or C loops.

It didn't take too long for me to realize I was going to be riding too fast for the C group, so at the end of the season I moved up to the slowest of their three B groups, where I still am. The first dozen or so rides I was getting dropped regularly, but I figured I can eiter ride by myself ahead of the C group or ride by myself behind the B group. I chose the latter, as it gave me a goal to work toward. Now I finish pretty much always around mid-pack. Maybe by the end of this season I can try out the middle B group and see how far off their pace I fall. It'll give me something to work toward next year.
Old 08-09-12, 11:39 AM
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When doing organized "training rides" or "club rides" I never look back, when I am doing an organized "fun rides" or "social rides" I watch out for stragglers and people who might need help.
Old 08-09-12, 11:45 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CraigB
The first dozen or so rides I was getting dropped regularly, but I figured I can eiter ride by myself ahead of the C group or ride by myself behind the B group. I chose the latter, as it gave me a goal to work toward. Now I finish pretty much always around mid-pack. Maybe by the end of this season I can try out the middle B group and see how far off their pace I fall. It'll give me something to work toward next year.
Good plan and attitude, Craig, and good luck. and part of it is what you enjoy and want out of cycling.
Old 08-09-12, 12:20 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Another country, another culture.. in the Middle of a Bike tour in England,
I was invited to join a club ride an out and back to a cafe frequented by Cyclists for
maybe 40+ years.. .. they did, someone, dropped back and kept me company
on my heavier touring rig, and tourist's pace..
[minus panniers]..

On AYH bike tours , the Leaders position was Sweep..

was a social Cycling group series of rides in the 80's when i was in SF..
Equal parts social fun and riding. had to stop going when by job was
demanding me to work weekends.

Shop evening rides were attracting competitive types, here,
route out of town passed by my apartment
tired of their pace, and off the back by then, last one I just stopped back by my place..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-09-12 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-09-12, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rrg
So why do we want to get ride with a group, when they don't even ride with each other? I mean, what's the point, other than setting your own personal best. Or showing off your $3000 bike?
Wow. In my area there are more folks showing off $8,000 to $12,000 bikes than $3,000 bikes.

In reading your post my thoughts turned to my father and his 40 years of fishing with his "fishing buddies". As regular as clockwork, once a week, the five of them would show up at the lake, each with his own boat and someone else with them. They would set up a campsite and each head out to fish until dark. Then they would all eventually head in for a sandwich and some coffee. After that they'd each head out in their own boats again and fish until daylight. During that setting up of camp and the coffee break the most amazing stories were told. As a kid was was in awe of their "grown up relationship". Long story short - I don't think you have to do everything together or ride every mile together to build lasting relationships.
Old 08-09-12, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88
Wow. In my area there are more folks showing off $8,000 to $12,000 bikes than $3,000 bikes.

In reading your post my thoughts turned to my father and his 40 years of fishing with his "fishing buddies". As regular as clockwork, once a week, the five of them would show up at the lake, each with his own boat and someone else with them. They would set up a campsite and each head out to fish until dark. Then they would all eventually head in for a sandwich and some coffee. After that they'd each head out in their own boats again and fish until daylight. During that setting up of camp and the coffee break the most amazing stories were told. As a kid was was in awe of their "grown up relationship". Long story short - I don't think you have to do everything together or ride every mile together to build lasting relationships.
So true. I remember fishing trips with friends like that. I also know that some of the men were into their equipment as well. When we would go ocean fishing it might have been even more intense but was a bit like club rides. Some men were into vintage Peen reels. Some loved modern reels. When I started fishing with them I couldn't afford an expensive reel and made do with my old Garcia reels for the first year. I was very impressed when one of the men offered to sell me one of his Penn International reels at half price. Some of the men were firm Penn men and some were Shimano men, sound anything like Shimano, SRAM and Campy with bikes?

The point I was making is people are willing to invest in the best equipment to do things they enjoy. When I took of drumming just about any Kit would do even a DW but once I got a regular spot to play I wanted a Gretsch Kit. When I looked at rgg's post I wasn't sure what point he/she was making. People that hunt buy the best gun or Bow thay can afford. People that do astronomy buy the best Telescope/Binoculars they can afford. When they get together for a star watching party they are't accused of buying equipment to show off.
Old 08-13-12, 11:36 AM

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our club is in a small town and most of us ride the same routes several times a week and cue sheets are pretty much a waste on regular club rides( for our "events" we mark the roads and hand out cue sheets) Whenever a visitor or newcomer joins we try to find out what pace he/she rides and assign him/her to the proper group. Biggest problem we have is the folks who insist on riding with the fast guys and can't keep up. Our rides all start from the same place and break up after the warm up and frequently on certain days the fast group is going further than the no drop rides and if you get dropped too far down the road we don't always catch you.
For me sometimes the hard part is when I get dropped and they come back and get me and pull me up to the group so they can beat me again Sometimes I tell them just let me die in peace The good news is I still get dropped but it takes longer and a faster pace than it used to.
Old 08-13-12, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by rrg
True dat!
Old 08-13-12, 01:52 PM

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still remember my first ride with the Phoenix Metro Bicycle Club in March/2011. It was my first club ride in about 30 years. We left the parking lot, turned onto Guadalupe Rd and started west towards the Foothills. We hit the first little hill - an overpass really - and I didn't see anyone else for the rest of the ride. They were long gone. I had ridden to the ride and my house was more or less on the route so I simply rode home.

I started back with them again about 4 weeks ago - four Saturday rides in a row now. Oh, I may get lost occasionally but they offer route sheets and I usually load the map as a course in the Garmin 500 before the ride itself.
This club offers a variety of rides - a few are advertised as "no-drop" rides too. They're listed here.

Good group of people to boot. Those that recognize me call me a regular now and I very, very much look forward to these rides now.