Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My 1st Triathlon

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My 1st Triathlon

Old 08-13-12, 01:03 PM

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo S3 Ultegra 2012 TREK Superfly 29'r FS 2012 Cervelo S5 Rival w/FLO 60's - 07 TREK Pilot 2.1 triple

Liked 63 Times in 10 Posts
My 1st Triathlon

My 1st triathlon at age 58! I don't consider myself old but at 58 I really didn't think I'd be doing a triathlon (albeit a sprint distance). Since this all started when I began riding I thought that this would be an acceptable post.

I started riding around 3 years ago as a way to rehab from a torn meniscus I got from a fall. I'd been a lifetime runner to that point ( ran for my College x-country and track teams). I started out with a Trek Pilot 2.1 that I bought new ( but it was 2 years old at the time). I've since moved up to a Cervelo S5 Rival I got during the $1,000 off promotion (great deal). After recovering from the meniscus surgery I went back to running, but also added more cycling as it seemed to really help with my running. My youngest son signed up for his 1st triathlon and challenged me to do it as well. I am not a swimmer, but was able to work up to a 1/4 mile in the pool non stop. The tri swim was shorter than that.

The race start was seeded by bib #. With #1 going first and so on, approximately every 5 to 10 seconds due to the fact that it was a pool swim versus open water. If it was open water I'm not sure I'd have done it. I was #114, so I had a deficit of almost 10+ minutes upon entering the water. If you know me, you'd know that I didnít like that! :>). Went out way too hard in the swim, passed 5 people and then thankfully there was a very large guy going slow that I could not get around. That was on the last length so it helped me to settle down a bit as my heart rate was well up and I was breathing way too hard. I donít have my swim split! I looked for my missing watch for over an hour on the day before and finally found it. I had wanted to get all of my splits. I was so nervous at the swim start that I forgot to start the stupid thing! While passing a swimmer I kept hitting the lane line with my hand and it dawned on me that I had not started the watch. I decided to just use it for just the run.

Transition 1 went well. I had decided to swim with my race singlet on rather than fighting to get it on while being wet from the swim. Good decision as I saw a number of people fighting with their shirts!
The transition to bike went well and I was off. I must have passed at least 50 people on the bike leg ( 9 miles at just about 20MPH, 27:14). Saw a number of people actually walking their bikes up some of the hills. The first 6 miles was fairly difficult, but then it was downhill to the finish. The image below was from my bike computer output for the race.

Transition 2 was a little more convoluted as I had not practiced getting out of my shoes while still on the bike. Instead of getting off the bike with my cycling shoes on, I loosened them and slipped out leaving them still clipped to the pedals. I read online that that helps to minimize transition time. So, without the practice I had a difficult time getting out of the shoes, but was finally able to do so. I would do this again as I really think it did save time. I'll do some practice though!!

The run portion went really well. Leaving transition 2 I was immediately passed by a young guy who was flying. I went out hard as well and eventually caught him on the 1st hill at just about the 1/2 mile point. I passed at least 15 runners on the course. The weather for the bike was not bad, overcast with a very slight breeze. By the run however, the sun came out and the course was somewhat exposed so it got much hotter. I was able to keep picking runners off to the finish. I passed the eventual 1st place female with a 1/2 mile to go. She picked up her pace to go with me, but thankfully backed off and I was able to just coast in to the finish. My run felt fast ( a supposed 3 miles at 18:27 Ė 6:09 average). Iím not sure the distance was an exact 3 miles, Iíll have to go back with my bike one day and verify the distance.

I could not believe my final time: 53:15, 9th overall and 1st in AG. My son Kevin, on little bike training got 24th and 2nd in his AG. Good for him.

It was a really good experience and for me a big challenge. Maybe one day Iíll do an Olympic, or longer tri, but Iíve got a long way to go!!

Hopefully Iíll be able to walk today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tri-splits-1.jpg (45.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg
tri-stats.jpg (45.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-13-12, 02:08 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Well done but rather you than me.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-13-12, 04:53 PM
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Well done, congratulations on the great finish.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-13-12, 06:33 PM

Bikes: Trek 610, Cannondale Bad Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This seems to be the season for triathlons. Big congrats on winning your age group first time out!
Old 08-13-12, 07:12 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Great job!!! Teach me how to swim and I will do the next one with you-:0)