Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

state championship road race 1980

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-19-12, 11:35 AM
aquist

Bikes: Cannondale,Trek, Raleigh, Univega, Schwinn Panther, Peugot course, Benotto, many others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Illinois state championship race in 1980 -The day before I had won the veteran men's time trial. there were only three men in the race. all the fast guys were over 45, and they had split the field to veterans, 35 to 45, masters 45 to 55, and grand masters over 55 years of age. needless to say this was to my advantage. The other two contestants were unknown to me. They let one guy go every minute so you know that if you can see the guy ahead of you and the guy behind you isn't in sight you are doing good. the upshot of the race is that I finished with the lowest time and the number three man quit. He would have had the bronze. the next day the entire pack got lost in the road race except for me, the officials told me that if I kept riding as I crossed the start finish area (it was a four mile loop we were to do 4 times) I would be disqualified, I had to stop and wait for the pack and they restarted the race, then with one lap to go they said, the race is over at the end of the third lap. I wuz robbed. but my son Timmy had a silver and a bronze for midget boys 8 to 11, road and track, hey you have to ride with your head not just your legs.There was no way they would have ever caught me. I would have finished about five miles ahead of the pack.

Last edited by aquist; 08-19-12 at 12:30 PM. Reason: leftout full title or subject and made mistakes in spelling , punctuation etc.
Old 08-19-12, 12:32 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 297 Posts
What forum do you want this in?

Old 08-19-12, 01:26 PM
aquist

Bikes: Cannondale,Trek, Raleigh, Univega, Schwinn Panther, Peugot course, Benotto, many others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, the topic is a road race, but it is the recollections of a 72 yo former bike racer. I doubt seriously whether younger riders would be interested in ancient history. to me it makes sense to leave it in riders over 50, I have rehashed other races there too.
Old 08-19-12, 01:28 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 297 Posts
I will move it to Fifty Plus.

Old 08-19-12, 01:34 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,169 Posts
I lived in Virginia in 1980, and I think there may have been 3 guys over 35 that raced in the whole region.
Old 08-20-12, 02:20 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That was a bad call by the official. In a road race, it is ultimately the responsibility of the rider to know the course. So if everybody but you goes off course, well, too bad for them! You see this even in the Tour. The lead rider will inadvertently follow the motoricycle off course just before the finish, because the moto is just going where the support vehicles are supposed to go so that the finish line area is not clogged. By the time he realizes his mistake, the second place guy has passed him and won the race! It's the first guy's own mistake for not knowing/following the course. They NEVER restart just because he made a mistake.

You should be able to find the section in the USCF rulebook that mentins this. And you should have just brought it to the official's attention. Yeah, it's your responsibility to know the rules, too...

Luis
Old 09-04-12, 12:38 AM
aquist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks,. i fell better now. the event has passed into the history of cycling in the USA, especially Illinois. and is just a memory of mine of those glory days when I was much younger.