Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   How Are Your Flats Doing? Flat Check! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/841224-how-your-flats-doing-flat-check.html)

DnvrFox 08-22-12 01:23 PM

How Are Your Flats Doing? Flat Check!

OK, how many flat tires since around April or so? The causes? Multiple Answers OK.

I got my 2nd today - glass from the road. 1st was a goathead in May.

You?

Brew1 08-22-12 01:27 PM

1600 mile this year on Hutchinson tubeless with Stans No-Tube sealant zero flats. The rear tire needs to be replaced soon but the front is still in good shape.

300 miles on my other bike with Conti GP clinchers, Zero flats.

Knocking on wood.....

Bikey Mikey 08-22-12 01:40 PM

I've only had one since April, after nearly 4000 miles,(got the bike in March) and I've run over glass, rocks, potholes and grass. The one I got was a pinch flat from not paying attention and running off into the grass and hitting a drain pipe(bike was fine, wheels still true, but I got a pinch). Gatorskins may be a tad slower than some other tires, but at least I don't get punctures and slowed down from changing.

Now I will go sacrifice an old tire to the tire Gods so as not to press my luck.

jmccain 08-22-12 01:41 PM

None yet...

JamieElenbaas 08-22-12 01:43 PM

I think that it only tempts th bike gods to talk about how few / how many flats, but I do have a product endorsement.

I have always loved the Michelin Pro 3 tires for wet and dry grip and great ride feel. The only problem was how many flats I got. I have been riding the new Pro 4 tires since early spring with the same or better ride and grip as before and am AMAZED at how few flats I have had. Seriously, Michelin got it right with these tires.

Looigi 08-22-12 01:45 PM

Only 2 in 2400 miles...which is way below my average. And this was on Pro3s.

Ruby13 08-22-12 02:01 PM

Back in April I still had the original Schwabe Lugano's that came on my Synapse and just under 1000 miles the rear flats started some pinch some just crud on the roads but always the rear and got caught in a pretty good storm in S.Florida when the pin in my Lezyne trigger CO2 inflator broke. This trend continued into May when after at least 6 flats I went into my LBS back in NY to have him take a look at the rear tire which he agreed was shot.
Changed both tires to Conti 4000s and have 1800 miles on them and barely look worn. One pinch flat caused by junk on a main intersection. I now never leave home without two tubes and two 16gm cartridges to insure I don't get a flat.

http://pedalmybike.com/userTrackies/myTrackie4124.jpg

stapfam 08-22-12 02:17 PM

Only had two and they were within 1/2 mile of each other -one front and one rear.

But basically my fault. When I got the Pinnie in February- I did not like the feel of the tyres. Pinarello own brand and there was something about the ride of them I did not like. 700/23's and inflated to 120psi- same as I normally use. They did not give the right feel on cornering at speed and felt under-inflated on rough surface. Should have changed them as I carry spare tyres in the stock but didn't. Went over a rough path with a bit of debris and one puncture. OK-Spare tube and changed tube and nothing found in the tyre but that also meant Rubber on them. These are very lightweight tyres because they have minimal rubber on them. 1/2 mile later and rear tyre went down. I had already used my spare tube and the repair kit had a dried up tube of glue.

So my fault for not changing the OM tyres even though I had the feeling something was wrong with them- and my fault for not being prepared with a proper repair kit. They had done less than 1,000 miles and still had the mould marks on the centre of the tyre. So if anyone suggests that one tyre is a s good as another- tell them they are wrong..

nmichell 08-22-12 02:44 PM

Two flats in a week that I'm blaming it on a worn tire, which I replaced. And, so far, no flats in on the new tire -- of course, it's only been a week :)

buckwheat987 08-22-12 02:57 PM

5 so far.

both pinched and front tire shredded when sky got black from an approaching storm and I didn't see a small part of curb on rode.

three from glass.

Have switched to Michelin Endurance Pro the last three week. No issues yet.

Cyclebum 08-22-12 03:18 PM

As noted in another thread, 95% of my flats over the years have been caused by the wires from delaminated semi tires that litter Texas highways. Nothing I've found will stop them, including Marathon XRs. Average one every couple thousand miles.

JanMM 08-22-12 03:20 PM

No on-the-road flats in recent years. (sound of rapping on head) Very lucky boy!
Have had/discovered a few flat tires in the garage, though. Couple of weeks ago flatted a front tire on the tandem while topping it off with a floor pump prior to a ride: Hole at the base of the Schrader valve.
I tend towards Kevlar-belted tires. Current tires on three bikes: Primo Comets with Kevlar on the tandem, Forte Metro-K on the V3, and Metro-K on the rear of the V-Rex paired with a Primo Comet without K on the front.
Currently always carrying a pump, tubes and self-adhesive patches.
I live in The Land Without Goatheads and I am constantly amazed at how little glass I see on the streets of Indy, at least where I ride.
Plus, I tend to replace tires before they become questionable.

NOS88 08-22-12 04:05 PM

I so going to regret this.........What's a flat?

BikeWNC 08-22-12 04:21 PM

Whoops, I chose other but meant none. I haven't had a flat in over a year.

Barrettscv 08-22-12 04:34 PM

1622 miles since May 1st. No flats.

Hermes 08-22-12 04:38 PM

I accidentally opened this thread so I did this...

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...ortalRites.jpg

cbuddy2005 08-22-12 04:49 PM

2 flats from old tubes. Riding MA-40 rims, 36-hole Ultegra hubs with Michelin Bi-sport Axial tires. Old but still in pretty okay shape. Like their owner

cbuddy2005 08-22-12 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by cbuddy2005 (Post 14640132)
2 flats from old tubes. Riding MA-40 rims, 36-hole Ultegra hubs with Michelin Bi-sport Axial tires. Old but still in pretty okay shape. Like their owner

And with Spin Skins (Kevlar felt liners) inside.

cbuddy2005 08-22-12 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cyclebum (Post 14639758)
As noted in another thread, 95% of my flats over the years have been caused by the wires from delaminated semi tires that litter Texas highways. Nothing I've found will stop them, including Marathon XRs. Average one every couple thousand miles.

Try Spin Skin tire liners--seems I'm pulling above mentioned metal out of my tires 2-3x/week--usually small bits. Yesterday I pulled out 1/2 of a long staple looking thing. Was in the tire pretty good and waited to get home to remove it. No flat!

Burton 08-22-12 05:39 PM

One flat over 5 bikes over 3 years. Fish hook (and a really big one) picked up while driving off the paved bike path through (of all things) a popular fishing zone, on Maxxis Hookworms ...... which have absolutely no flat protection but are generally pretty bulletproof anyway. I'm thinking a 3 in fish hook could probably get through anything - Armid , Kevlar ... whatever.

Sculptor7 08-22-12 05:42 PM

Have not had a flat in 3 years. Always check my tires before and after each ride. Keep pressure correct and studiously avoid debris of any kind. A few thousand miles on each tire. Have replaced them at different times but all told several thousand miles on both.

gcottay 08-22-12 05:42 PM

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/im...bIUod3Ym95a-P3

Mort Canard 08-22-12 07:05 PM

Had two flats this year both were some sort of woody material as in a burr or thorn. Two out of three of my bikes are protected by tire savers and this seems to help a lot.

doctor j 08-22-12 08:03 PM

We do not speak of such things in the public forum.

BikeWNC 08-22-12 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 14640093)
I accidentally opened this thread so I did this...

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...ortalRites.jpg

That's a waste of a perfectly good virgin.