Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Yikes - Century in 6 days and I'm in trouble...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Yikes - Century in 6 days and I'm in trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-12, 10:36 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
anyone that attempts to do a grueling physical endeavor that they are not trained for,,is more than stupid.
Every year there is the Free Press marathon and half marathon 2 years ago many people not fit decided they would do the half marathon 3 persons died. It is the height of irresponsibility to your family to do somthing as STUPID as do a century ride you are not trained for. I have been riding for years at least 5 times a week all year round doing 18 to 20 miles somtimes going 35,,I would not try a century ride at this point unless i put in more miles for at least 8 weeks before.
Old 09-09-12, 10:54 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by howeeee
anyone that attempts to do a grueling physical endeavor that they are not trained for,,is more than stupid.
Every year there is the Free Press marathon and half marathon 2 years ago many people not fit decided they would do the half marathon 3 persons died. It is the height of irresponsibility to your family to do somthing as STUPID as do a century ride you are not trained for. I have been riding for years at least 5 times a week all year round doing 18 to 20 miles somtimes going 35,,I would not try a century ride at this point unless i put in more miles for at least 8 weeks before.
Insults have never been an effective management tool. Just sayin'.

Old 09-09-12, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Trek 610, Cannondale Bad Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apparently distance riding on a bicycle is "just like riding a bicycle", you never forget! Good job on managing your effort level so you could go the distance.
Old 09-09-12, 11:13 AM

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by howeeee
Since when did a century become a "grueling physical endeavor?" Last time I checked you can coast and rest on a bike. Can't do that running. Comparing apples (running marathons) and oranges (riding a bike 100miles) was more than stupid. You have no idea what the human body is capable of. I'm surprised that you even get on a bike knowing the risks of getting hit and killed by a car (which are far greater than falling over dead on your bike from over exertion). It is the height of irresponsibility to your family to do somthing as STUPID as even ride your bike! What are you thinking? You're a nut.
Old 09-09-12, 11:21 AM

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby c
Gevad - wow, congrats on that - that was truly one mammoth storm, it produced some tornadoes in the area. Hats off to anyone who did the full century after that storm.

So I followed the advice and took it easy, including leaving a bit later than I usually do. I rode with a buddy who was in similar shape while we let the other friends we ride with go ahead...
Congrats, sounds like you did it right!
Old 09-09-12, 12:01 PM
Bike Curious....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I know you were worried about this ride and you had a bail out plan But I think you had a genuine reason to ssty in the fire station and you didn't.

You are either foolhardy or not as unfit as you think.

Actually, it was time to go. The weather maps showed an opening in the storm before another batch rolled through. Timed it pretty well, by the time we got back the sky opened again.

And as it turns out, I'm not as unfit as I thought - as long as I didn't push it.
Old 09-09-12, 12:17 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Good effort bobby c

Old 09-09-12, 08:21 PM
Bike Curious....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the compliments all. Felt so good today I dug post holes and worked on my fence. It was probably a bit too grueling, couldn't have died out there but somehow I managed to hold on. Now looking forward to the next century. Probably won't do 3 in a row like I did a few years back but I do love riding.