Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Coping with large temperature ranges

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 06:32 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Our temp range is running about 40-45 degrees lately, with morning am ~50F, going to about 90+.

So, how do I accommodate?

This am (~50F), bibs, very light under jersey garment, 50+ jersey, arm warmers, riding sandals with bike socks, helmet/bandana. Open finger gloves.

In my 2nd water bottle holder, my swim suit and goggles in a wide mouth water bottle. Cell phone, wallet and keys in jersey pocket.

As the day warmed up - arm warmers and light under jersey garment eventually wound up in jersey rear pocket.

Swam along the way, and wet swim suit went back in the water bottle, along with goggles.

So, there -that's how I did it this am!!

As it get just a little colder, or if it is windy, I will use leg warmers and closed finger gloves,and add a light wind breaker. I have a tiny Kiva foldup back pack in my wedge to place stuff in.

And you?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-10-12 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-10-12, 10:27 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Only time I would get temperature changes that high would be on a long ride so I use a camelback. It does not have much carrying space but just enough to take off the outer layer and carry the phone and wallet in a small pocket. But in my wedges(s) is a muset- the bag the Pro-riders use for food. Very small cotton bag that can be used for and small items of shopping I do when out.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-10-12, 11:16 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
We have days like that here a lot. Under 60 degrees I leave the house with leg warmers, arm warmers, thin long finger liners under my short finger gloves. I have a Bontreger wind breaker that has its own Stuff sack that is about the size of a half Salami. When I stop and it is over 70 off come the warmers and jacket and glove liners.
Old 09-11-12, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
When the seasons change and the weather begins to get cooler, I will wear two full-zip jerseys on occasion. As the temperature increases during the day, I unzip to help regulate the core temperature.
Old 09-11-12, 08:02 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hilly Hundred can be like that here. Mornings can be around 40F and warm to upper 70sF by afternoon. Throw in the amount of work required on the hills and it can be a challenge to dress properly. Then there's the occasional rain.
Old 09-11-12, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
We don't get daily variations beyond 30F or so here in this part of OR (usually 15-20F)., so I rarely modify my attire mid-ride. However, when I lived in NorCal, it was fairly common to experience 50F and even 60F changes in one day. The central valley is often 105-110F in the summer, but I would often either start, end or spend the middle of a ride at the coast, where 50-60F is much more common. For me, the main thing I did was stay well-conditioned and well-hydrated so that I didn't become cold by virtue of not metabolizing enough. As long as I was riding hard, I could wear the same clothing at 55F as I did at 115F. If I was suffering, then I needed to put more clothing on. There were a few times that I regretted not bringing any extra clothing with me, but that was rare enough that I resisted learning from the experience.
Old 09-11-12, 08:34 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
One word. Wool. Granted, it doesn't work on the hottest afternoons, but up to around 85 a lightweight wool jersey works fine for me.
Old 09-11-12, 09:22 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
53F and above with full sun/marginal wind, I'm good in minimal summer attire. I'll be cold at ride start but usually temps start rising quick.
48-52F I would want to put on some thin unpadded tights (running tights) over my bike shorts; wear light wool socks and possible toe covers inside my bike sandals. Neck gaiter tube covers my chin/ears or makes thin balaclava; headsweat light skullcap underneath. On humid days, a L/S jersey over the short sleeve jersey. In low humidity, a windbreaker with sleeves that come off making a vest and a l/s baselayer. Full finger gloves with some shorties to change into later. Easiest way to deal with discarded layers is with a beam rack and small trunk bag; or use a drawstring backpack if high temps stay below 80F.
None of this works well if you object to making wardrobe stops during your ride.
If starting away from the house, I'll wear an extra layer pre-ride.
Old 09-11-12, 10:53 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
In Tucson, AZ our daily temps usually vary 30 degrees from morn' to afternoon.
This summer spent 3 month in northern UT; it varies 40 degrees with low humidity.
Our desert monsoons in AZ may soon be over; it's been both warm (100/90s), quite humid and rainy for the past week.
Be nice to get back to the drier heat!
Old 09-12-12, 10:01 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
  • 60 and above, just normal riding gear and enough fluid, etc to deal with whatever the high temps are going to be.
  • 50-60 at the start, light base layer that I just leave on (Craft) and light weight arm warmers. I might wear a vest depending.
  • 40-50 at the start, medium base layer, wool arm warmers, vest and (maybe) leg warmers. I'll leave the base layer on if it doesn't get above 60, otherwise I'll have to remove. Somewhere in this temp range I'll put on wool leg warmers.
  • Below 40 at the start - who rides when it's below 40? Well, actually, we do sometimes, but only if we're starting 0700 or so and radiational cooling has created low overnight temps. Generally, by 0800 it'll hit 40 or so.

Last edited by rdtompki; 09-12-12 at 03:36 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-12-12, 11:17 AM
blt

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
Below 40 at the start - who rides when it's below 40?
Even in the greater Bay Area, some of us need to ride when its below 40. Here in Eastern Alameda County, there are plenty of days late fall and winter where we start out below 40, occasionally even the mid-20's. And if it is a typical Saturday in my life where I need to start early if I'm going to have time for a long ride, it will be in the 50's before I'm done, sometimes low 60's. I need a bag in which to put the layers I will shed.

Not surprisingly, the riding patterns of cyclists around here do seem to change during the year, I'll have plenty of cold winter mornings where there are no other cyclists in sight, but the coldest days with lows ranging from mid-20's to mid-30's are sunny ones where the highs will get in the 50's or low 60's, so if my life lets me get a later start, plenty of cyclists will be around, as opposed to summer, where often if I head out around 2 p.m., no other cyclists are in sight, they all started early to beat the heat. There's one road I like where in the summer if I don't get started until 8 a.m., I'm behind the peak number of cyclists, whereas on the coldest winter days if I start up at 8 a.m., I'm one of the first ones up, but I'll see plenty of cyclists on my return.
Old 09-12-12, 01:47 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
  • Below 40 at the start - who rides when it's below 40?
Who does? I do. Last year I road when it was 22ºF and a wind chill of 13ºF It was chilly.