Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

One of My Riding Companions Has Been Relieved of His Riding Duty For Awhile

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-10-12, 08:25 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

My second son was informed today that he has been selected as a Rated Officer Select, 2nd Lieutenant for the USAF. I am very proud...and scared and a little sad. Can any USAF people out there tell me it how great it was for them, how it was the best thing they ever did and how much they missed their mom when they were away?!?
I was with him today when he got the call and his face lit up and his eyes filled up and my eyes filled up Looks like I have only until January to take long rides with my favorite cyclist....
Old 09-10-12, 08:38 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
A big congrats to your son. Please keep us informed.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-10-12, 08:57 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 169 Posts
Congratulations to you and your son, Miss Kenton. Is he going for "Top Gun" (or is that a Navy term? ).

I recently met an old acquaintance after several years with a son as old as mine (24), and she told me her son had joined the Marines and was now assigned to guard the President. While my son is doing well, I very much admired the honorable and successful path her son had chosen.
Old 09-10-12, 09:05 PM
miss kenton

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Thanks, Jim and Ron. His title will be CSO (Combat Systems Officer ). This means he will be a flight navigator. He wants to be in the jet, he'd rather be pilot, but I hope he does it remotely. And when I say remotely, I mean from my couch.
Old 09-10-12, 09:25 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"Top Gun" is Navy. The school was located at NAS Miramar, San Diego CA, until MCAS El Toro was closed and the 3rd MAW relocated to now-MCAS Miramar. NAS Fallon (NV) is now home to the Top Gun school.
Old 09-10-12, 09:47 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
FWIW - I still get called Lieutenant Fox by USAA, my almost 50 year insurance company. It is sort of strange. Yes, I was a 2nd and 1st Lieutenant in the USAF about 50 years ago.

I would bet things have changed a bit - at least I hope so!!

I was a squadron commander of a training squadron - never much got near an airplane, but was invloved a bit in training folks who spied on the Russian atomic blasts.

I survived. 3 years and 3 months to the day.

Good luck to your son. Good luck to you.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-10-12 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-10-12, 10:13 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
So the son has gone- or will be- and the next phase of his life is about to start. All you have to worry about is the training. All that hard work and physical torture has to be relieved at some point so expect a few "War" wounds when he lets off steam whenever allowed off the base.

Once he gets trained and has the skill required there are no problems. Just face it--Navigators don'e often get lost so he will be OK.

Just you to worry about now.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-11-12, 06:07 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 214 Posts
Good deal for him, Miss K', if he is Combat Systems he will train here at NAS Pensacola for his UNT, in Training Air Wing 6, VT-10, VT-4, VT-86 are the squadrons. if he needs anything after OTS in Montgomery tell him to let us know and I'll make it happen. He is always welcome to our home, maybe a few meals would help out from time to time. Just P.M. me and let me know anytime. Congrats to him, I'm sure you and Mr. K' are very proud. I remember that call very, very well back in the 70's.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-11-12, 08:32 AM
Altamont

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
congratulations to your son, on his commissioning and his upcoming service to the nation. don't worry about him. he will be fine. both my sons are Army officers, one just returned from a tour in Afghanistan. both their wives are military too. when they were in college, in ROTC, I worried a little. to see them now, and how trained and prepared they are, I never had a worry when my son was in overseas. son #2 is going next year. I know how proud you are of your son for what he has chosen to do. he will be serving in the finest paramilitary organization in the world, the USAF!
Old 09-11-12, 12:19 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank him for his service from the 50+ forum. R.Tool is a retired Air Force man, but i think his parents were happy to get rid of him.J/k thank you Dick for your service also.
Old 09-11-12, 02:59 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Both my wife's uncle and his daughter flew for the Air Force. He was a lifer and retired from the Air Force to a long and happy life. She now flies commercial jet liners for a major airline.

I could have answered your questions about having a child in the Air Force as my oldest daughter wanted to follow in their footsteps as a Fighter Pilot. She decided to change her dream though due to physical issues. Instead of flying them she got a degree in Mechanical Engineering with Aerospace credentials and is happily employed in the industry.

Congratulations to your son and your family.
Old 09-11-12, 04:58 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2006-2010 Terra Trike Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 65 Posts
Congrats to your Son, my youngest brother is now a "retired" USAF Full Bird and he now is a high GS something doing the same job as a civilian and making more money! Soon he'll retire from both and be, SET FOR LIFE!

Old 09-11-12, 05:38 PM
miss kenton

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Good deal for him, Miss K', if he is Combat Systems he will train here at NAS Pensacola for his UNT, in Training Air Wing 6, VT-10, VT-4, VT-86 are the squadrons. if he needs anything after OTS in Montgomery tell him to let us know and I'll make it happen. He is always welcome to our home, maybe a few meals would help out from time to time. Just P.M. me and let me know anytime. Congrats to him, I'm sure you and Mr. K' are very proud. I remember that call very, very well back in the 70's.
Bill,that is such a generous offer. I am touched by your kindness. I showed him your post and he said, "Think he'd lend me a bike and ride with me?"
Old 09-11-12, 05:53 PM
miss kenton

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Thank you all for your kind notes. You have all made me feel a bit better. It has been very confusing for me. I have been lying in bed at night thinking,"Oh, please him be chosen for OTS , it's his dream." Then I'd think, "maybe he could get a job at a quiet engineering firm in Philly...no, that's so wrong to wish that", but protection of the cub is a strong force. But seeing his face when he got the call tells me it is for the best and I must HT-U!
Old 09-11-12, 07:56 PM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
congratulations to your son, and your family. i personally beleive this is an awesome opportunity for your son, and a great way to begin a wonderful career.
Old 09-11-12, 11:13 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Moms/dads tend to worry more than necessary.
Served back in 1952-56 in USAF.
Certainly hope things have changed since then!
Was promised the moon when I volunteered and instead got the shaft. As a youngster (I was 19) we tend to a bit gullible!
Spoke 5 Euro languages fluently and was promised a job utilizing them.
Ended up in the Korean war (pardon, me . . . police action) instead, as the need of the service comes first.
When I was ready to get out they promised me the moon again . . . in civilian clothes in Europe.
Told 'em I had been lied to before several times and I was no interested.
Did get my American citizenship after 3 years of service so at least something good came out of it after all.
Life is an adventure . . . tell your son to enjoy it.
And mom, don't worry . . . he'll be just fine!
Old 09-12-12, 05:42 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 214 Posts
Miss K',
Of course we can have a bike for him to ride and he will be welcome to ride anytime. The base and surrounding area have a lot of riders on board and good riding routes. Glad his dream is coming true, OTS is not too bad at Maxwell, not near as harsh as Parris Island, Quantico (USMC OCS) or even Pensacola for the Aviation Candidates in the Navy was (run by USMC drill instructors.) Just keep your military bearing straight and give it 100% of your attention so it goes quickly and then he can get to Avation Preflight Indoctrination here and then TRAWING 6 for a squadron. Tell him to use the PM function and I'll give him my email and phone numbers when he wants them.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-13-12, 09:52 PM
miss kenton

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Thank you all for your kind words. I think he has made a good decision and I am proud of him--
Just. Real. Nervous.
Thanks again!
Old 09-14-12, 09:36 AM
Altamont

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hoorah for the Chair Force. box lunches, air conditioning, what else could someone in uniform ask for?
Old 09-14-12, 12:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 4908 Post(s)
Liked 2,888 Times in 1,932 Posts
the high altitude strategic defense bombers were very active last night, up in theis area. you could see the sky litterred with contrails ... most people don't notice them but there is a direct correlation between world news and these

https://beforeitsnews.com/ckfinder/us...hemtrailsm.jpg

tell him thanks from me and my families!
Old 09-14-12, 12:14 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
My second son was informed today that he has been selected as a Rated Officer Select, 2nd Lieutenant for the USAF. I am very proud...and scared and a little sad. Can any USAF people out there tell me it how great it was for them, how it was the best thing they ever did and how much they missed their mom when they were away?!?
I was with him today when he got the call and his face lit up and his eyes filled up and my eyes filled up Looks like I have only until January to take long rides with my favorite cyclist....
Don't be sad for your son. Do a happy dance instead since your son has "the right stuff" to be selected for the promotion.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 09-14-12, 12:59 PM
turkey9186

Bikes: 2014 CDale EVO, 2007 System Six, 2004 Litespeed Solano, 2002 Burley Duet

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 1988 I left the lack of jobs in Oregon and arrived at Lackland AFB. (yeah, I am a youngster! lol) From there, I spent four years at Travis as a C-5 Galaxy crew chief on active duty and another twelve years in the reserves as a Flight Engineer on C-5s. Due to a job conflict, I left the reserves in 2005. Situation at my civilian job has changed and I just re-enlisted to finish out my twenty years.

Don't feel bad about losing your riding partner, you might end up being jealous of where he will be able to ride. My reserve boss is a hard core cyclist and encouraged us to take our bikes with us on the plane. I have ridden on all seven continents (well, at least the ice shelf in Antarctica!) And, even in the cargo box over the top of the north pole. I could never in my lifetime have afforded to travel to the places the Air Force sent me.

It has been twenty four years now, but I still call my parents at least once a week, and we usually spend a week with them every summer.