Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding Agan and Loving it!

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-19-12, 03:45 PM
Datsun Nut

Bikes: My fun bike is my 2011 Diamondback Outlook, Mountain Bike with Hybird tires (26x1.5) I also have a 1965 Sears 3 Speed Cruiser in great condition, my wife has a Huffy - My +1 is a 26" Shimano Folding Bicycle Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howdy, My name is Chris, I am from Southern California (Riverside). I was into riding when I was younger, like 15 years ago. Rode a lot as a teen then got back into to it in my 30s and rode for many years. Mostly 100 Mile + rides for Charities. But mostly I just loved to ride. Then life got in the way. Now at 52 I am riding again, started in May I got a 2011 Diamond Back Outlook, rode with the HUGE Mountain Bike tires for months just to get the workout and to get back into shape. I recently put 1.5 tires on it, High Breaad type. I am doing a 4.13 minute mile and averaging 13.5mph on a 15 mile ride. I am planning on this weekend doing a 50 mile ride just to do it. I am a firm believer in Muscle memory as I think I proved that to myself in the last few months getting back into riding, I am doing this 50 mile ride to show myself I can still do it and to show my wife I won't have a heart attack in the process. If I do as well as I hope to on this 50 miler I will consider century ride next spring.

Oh and when I am not riding, I am into Classic Datsuns
Old 09-19-12, 06:24 PM
islandseas

Bikes: Trek 7.3 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum Chris. I learned to drive on an old Datsun. Don't remember what type but it was very boxy (looked like how kids draw cars).....Karen
Old 09-19-12, 07:09 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Datsun Nut View Post

Oh and when I am not riding, I am into Classic Datsuns
Welcome!

... and how many times have 'kids' under 30 asked you: "What's a Datsun? isn't that a long, skinny dog or something?"
Old 09-19-12, 08:03 PM
Datsun Nut

Bikes: My fun bike is my 2011 Diamondback Outlook, Mountain Bike with Hybird tires (26x1.5) I also have a 1965 Sears 3 Speed Cruiser in great condition, my wife has a Huffy - My +1 is a 26" Shimano Folding Bicycle Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GeorgeBMac - Thanx for the welcome!
What I hear mostly is "Datsun, isn't that who Nissan bought out"? I laugh as i tell them that Datsun has been owned by Nissan since 1914, they just changed the badge over in 1986.

Karen, thanx also for the welcome. I think what you are refering to is a Datsun 510, there were 2 and 4 door coupes ans well as wagons.

There are some pictures of a variety of Datsuns at www.nostalgicdatsun.com - it is under construction but look under the Events page there is a link to some pictures.
Old 09-20-12, 05:53 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Welcome to 50+ Chris, a few little things to take care of first off:
1. We need and love pictures of your bike and you. Drive side showing, against a white garage door preferred.
2. Your choice of Pie for the usual after ride Pie refreshment, with a pic of the pie choice.
3. Schedule your colonoscopy real soon.
4. Get a shingles vaccination, too.
5. Ride because you enjoy riding and tell us when you expect your first N+1 to be. (No One Expects an N+1, gratuitous paraphrased Monty Python reference)

Bill

P.S. A nice picture of a BRE Datsun 510 in full chat on a race course would be neat too.
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 09-20-12, 07:12 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hope to see more posts about your rides. You do have to follow the rules that Bill posted, otherwise, it's pretty much "anything goes."

The first car that my wife and I bought, as a couple, was a 1972 Datsun 510 wagon. It was white with a blue interior. Since then, all of our cars and trucks over the last 42 years (except for my PT Cruiser and Ford Transit) have been Nissans. I guess that makes me a fan too.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 09-20-12, 07:17 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Welcome Chris. Never had anything to do with Datsuns, but I'm certainly old enough to know what they were.
Old 09-20-12, 08:05 AM
Datsun Nut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check - Check and Check

Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Welcome to 50+ Chris, a few little things to take care of first off:
1. We need and love pictures of your bike and you. Drive side showing, against a white garage door preferred.
2. Your choice of Pie for the usual after ride Pie refreshment, with a pic of the pie choice.
3. Schedule your colonoscopy real soon.
4. Get a shingles vaccination, too.
5. Ride because you enjoy riding and tell us when you expect your first N+1 to be. (No One Expects an N+1, gratuitous paraphrased Monty Python reference)

Bill

P.S. A nice picture of a BRE Datsun 510 in full chat on a race course would be neat too.
Well Bill, I will get a picture of me and my ride soon. I do enjoy a good pie but i just don't eat pies much. But nothing beats a good Banana Cream or Lemon Pie. As far as number 3 and 4 go, I work in healthcare and since my gean pool is a train wreck I am all covered. Now about #5... I LOVE RIding! Always have, But I am clueless on what the N+1. Care to fill me in?

And the picture of the BRE 510 would you also like one of the BRE 240z? and do you care if I am in them, how about the 240z that Mr K gave to Bob Bondurant? How about just a picture of me with Peter Brock of BRE and John Morton? Yeah you see I am a Datsun Nut. They are friends of mine and I have been in all three of these cars and drove the Bondurant 240z, pretty awesome
Old 09-20-12, 08:21 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Nut,
Sounds like you are going to fit in perfectly. To answer the N+1 question, N is the number of bicycles you now own, the +1 is the next bike you have dreamed about, drooled over or just have to have and then buy, N+1! It is an affliction that most healthcare people rarely deal with unless they are bike geeks like all of us are, therefore, no known vaccines, no scripts, nothing but buying that next bike can help. Not cure, mind you, just abate the symptoms for a few hours until they begin to take over your life again.

Any classic Datsun BRE pics are peachy keen here, I just have a soft spot for the 510 BRE that tore up the old U2.0 class that was run as an undercard to the original Trans-Am races. The 240Z were/are still fantastic cars, I have a close friend that has a 240Z he has kept all these years and loves, dearly. The Bondurant cars are all super, too. You, Pete Brock, any of the classic drivers go well for me. I am a Gear Head, plain and simple. Road courses have always been my favorites, Sports Cars in general. Glad to have you aboard 50+!

Bill
Old 09-20-12, 08:58 AM
overthehillmedi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to make a comment Re: n+1, it would derail this string so I'start a new one. Welcome to the forum, Datsun Nut, owned a 73 510. Now that the formalities are over, go for a ride.
Old 09-20-12, 09:15 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the Fifty+ section of the bike forums! Having read the title, I couldn't help but think of Maxwell Smart!

"But won't you be dealing with maniac drivers, burning quads, bad bike fit, constant flat tires, annoying stinging biting insects, and bizarre animal encounters?"

"AAAAND loving it!"

I told a Nissan dealer a while back, that Nissan should consider making bicycles as well as cars. He said "You want one? I can make that happen!" It's a pity that the only auto makers that make production bicycles that I know of, are Mercedes, Masserati, and Mini Cooper. Ford and Honda have "concept" bicycles, but that doesn't count!
Old 09-20-12, 09:21 AM
Datsun Nut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Bill,
Here is my current show car. I have had 15 Datsun sover the last 6 years. This one I rebuilt ground up to stock condition.

I don't have any BRE cars on this computer and I have not had any pictures of my bicycle taken yet either. Will get these in the next day or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Saturday 092a1.jpg (100.1 KB, 14 views)
Arizona Bound-I40.jpg (97.5 KB, 11 views)
Chris,John,Peter.jpg (94.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-20-12, 09:22 AM
Kingofbeers
I really like bikes

Bikes: Paramounts! - '65, '71, '74, '83, '98, '48 Schwinn Continental, '01 Homegrown Factory, Longbikes Tandem, '98 Trek Y-Foil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah - Datsuns! I sure loved driving the red 1600 roadster I bought when I came home from Vietnam in '68. Traded it for a Morgan later - BIG mistake. Once in awhile a nice 1600 roadster comes up on ebay and I do a quick mood-check with the wife. I'll catch her on just the right day sometime.........
Welcome to the forum!
1978 Medici Pro Strada
1990 Cannondale ST 600
1998 Trek Y-Foil
1999 Schwinn Homegrown MTB
2000 Schwinn Homegrown MTB
1999 Longbikes Tandem
Old 09-20-12, 10:44 AM
Sasquatch16

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bringing back old memories. Had a 1977 280Z. Boy I wish I still had it. Welcome and glad you started riding again.
Old 09-20-12, 12:32 PM
BicycleCrazy

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats! I took the past 3 months or so off from cycling as I was disappointed that a bike ride across America that I had planned for my son and I this summer had to be postponed.
We spent most of the summer fishing which isn't a bad alternative

But, we're back in the saddle again working towards our goal. It feels great to be back on my bike!!!

I remember Datsuns....my first car was one many may not have heard of...An Opel Kadette
Old 09-20-12, 12:58 PM
Datsun Nut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Dan, I remember the Opal, but it was German made. Adam Opel created the line and it became a subsidiary of GMC. They were fun cars though. Dansun had the B210 which might have been the most like the Opel.

I think your ride with your son is awesome. Good luck to you. I do agree that Fishing is a good 2nd choice.
Old 09-20-12, 02:24 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

DN,
Nut just didn't seem right when conversing with someone with these neat Datsuns. Very nice pics there. My wife's uncle Jim Story was an instructor for Bondurant driving schools a while back. Great man and cars. Thank you for sharing the pics with us, and again welcome to the 50+ gang.

Bill
Old 09-20-12, 07:18 PM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My dad replaced a '66 Ford Falcon with a dark green '74 Datsun 710 four-door. He was amazed that I (a gangly, long-legged teenager at the time) could fold my legs sufficiently to be more or less comfortable in the back seat. Not the height of fashion, but a good car. I think he was mildly suspicious of 'foriegn' cars, that being his first, but he was pleased with the purchase over time.

In about '83 or so I picked up a used turquoise B210 hatchback for $2k. The lid struts were shot and the hatch wouldn't stay up, but I was too poor/cheap to buy replacements. So I just put a nail in each end of a length of broomstick, clipped off the heads and drilled/located a couple of suitable holes in the hatch and body... Raise the hatch, insert stick and all was good. The AC blower would also grind loudly when making left turns, as centrifugal force drove it starboard and into the blower housing. I ended up putting an under-dash cassette player in the glove box, since the bottom of the dash sloped so much as to make mounting it impossible. I also added a rear window louver to somewhat cover any contents as well as to reduce the greenhouse effect.

Both were four speeds on the floor. Good little cars.
Old 09-21-12, 08:20 AM
Texasplumr

Bikes: Raleigh Misceo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 1972 I remember drooling over a 240Z. I told my dad, who was a WW2 vet about it. He was very sick by this time and he told me: "Son, if you buy that &*%$# car you'll send me to my grave". He still carried a lot of animosity towards Japan and wouldn't own anything made there. I didn't buy it and he died later that year. I still miss him and kind of regret not buying one after he died. I opted for a 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner instead. Heh, lost my license driving that car too!

Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-21-12, 12:37 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Sniff, sniff.......................hey, how did all that internal combustion smoke get in here? Cough, cough...............

What bike will be joining the Diamond Back? Gotta have a Backup Bike!
Old 09-21-12, 01:07 PM
Datsun Nut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Jan, never really had use for a back up bike. Its like taking tools with you in your classic car just in case... bad karma.
Actually I do have another bike, it's a 1965 3-speed cruiser. It's in awesome shape, just not crazy about riding it on long rides, it is a take it easy mind set kind of bike.

I do seem to travel alot and what I would LOVE to get is the Shimano Folding Mountain Bike, that way I can take it with me and ride when I am out of town. Maybe Santa will here my cry....
Old 09-21-12, 01:16 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
What kind of 'cruiser'? I'm sure you wouldn't ever refer to a '1953 Automobile'.

Carrying a pump, patch kit, tools, etc. decreases the odds of flats or mechanical breakdowns. Scientific fact.

Having a Backup Bike means that even if unforseen things visit the Main Bike and make it unavailable for riding, you can still ride as planned.
Old 09-21-12, 01:17 PM
Soaranator

Bikes: 2006 Fuji Absolute 4.0, 2011 Diamondback Podium 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lived in Riverside in the early 70's. Had an Olmo Special that I took all the Campy stuff off of and put on the then-new Sun Tour components. Sweet bike. We had many rides thru Riverside with my crew that were fast and fun. The Olmo Special went away after I hit a dog doing about 30 in Scituate, MA in the summer of 1973.
Got to know Peter Brock thru hang gliding in the 70's. He always had the coolest bits and pieces for hang gliders. Usually made out of Rarite, Unobtanium or best - Upsidaisium. Here's his latest website - http://bre2.net - lots of cool stuff. I interviewed Peter in my hang gliding documentary "Big Blue Sky." www.BigBlueSkyTheMovie.com
Started riding again about two months ago with a well used 2006 Fuji Absolute 4.0 (subject to overhaul/update this winter) and just last week, scored a 2011 Diamondback Podium 1.0 with about 5 miles on it. Now bikes are held in the same regard as guitars - when the bride asks me "How many do you have?' The correct answer is "Just one more and I'll have enough." Still pretty pleased the the Podium, but I'm sure I'll have to have another bike soon enough.....
Old 09-21-12, 01:34 PM
Datsun Nut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Soaranator, your bike/guitar excuse is the one I use for parts cars. Doesn't always work as well as I would like it to, but sometimes I get lucky. I really enjoy the Diamond Back Bikes, though I am jonesing for another bike... SHHH don't say anything..

Yeah Peter is a great guy, I was at his house last wekend, they just moved to Henderson, NV and have a really nice place. Although I am not into hang gliding, I prefer my feet firmly planted in peddles, Bicycles or cars either one is fine.
Old 09-21-12, 02:08 PM
islandseas

Bikes: Trek 7.3 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Datsun Nut....I finally found a picture of the Datsun I learned to drive on ....it is a Datsun Bluebird 410. It was my ex-motherinlaw's and was really fun to drive....

Karen

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.