Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I have a fit question

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I have a fit question

Old 09-24-12, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a fit question

I think that my fit is very close to being right for me. I can't get my seat far enough back to get the KOPs deal perfect. Which I understand is not a great way to fit a bike any way.

So I am now interested in the position of the handle bars. When I am seated my knees come up within about 2" of the bars and when I am standing and going up a 5% grade the front my knees come up directly under the handle bars. If the bars were 2"s lower my knees would hit the bars. Does this indicate that I need a longer stem?

I really don't like the idea of a longer stem because the weight on my hands is border line being more than I want and if I am just crusing on flat ground I ride on the tops a good bit.

If I moved the seat forward, so that my knee is about 1" in front of the pedal axle, would I reduce my ability to apply power to the pedals. I have also heard that moving the seat back helps to reduce the pressure on the hands. So if I moved the seat forward then I guess that I would have even more pressure on my hands which I don't want because after about 3 hours of riding my shoulders begin to feel the strain.

I guess that I will just have to start moving the seat and see what happens but I would like to know what might happen.
Old 09-24-12, 08:07 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
If the stem length seems about right for the frame size it may be that the bike is a tad small -- IMHO.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-24-12, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 1,479 Posts
Can you post some pictures of you on the bike? It's difficult to imagine your current fit from the description - your bike could be too large or too small. Also if you need to move your seat back, it's often better to get a seat post with more setback.
Old 09-24-12, 09:17 AM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Not sure if I understand correctly. You can't set your seat further rearward but your knees almost hit the bars? Sounds like you need a longer stem. Have you had a "pro fit"? Maybe you can get a "mini fit" for just this one issue? Advice from an fit expert.
Old 09-24-12, 06:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will try to get a few pictures posted but it will take a couple of days.

I know that the bike is a little small for me but I feel like I need a higher handle bar more than anything else. I am using a long nitto quil stem so if I got a frame big enough to get the bars as high as I want while using a regular stem, then I would need a frame so large that I would not have any top bar clearance.

I am 6 feet tall and the bike is a 57 cm seat tube the best that I can measure. I would need a 61 cm or maybe larger frame to get the bars as high as I like them.
Old 09-24-12, 08:07 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Jim, it's not surprising that a frame that's too small can't be adjusted to do the KOP thing... but I don't get how you can feel as if you already have too much pressure on your hands - unless you are also hunched over at the shoulders and too upright too.
I'm just 6'0" (and shrinking) , 33.5" inseam and equally long arms and torso... and 61.5 cm is the sweet spot for me, with 1 cm shorter head tube. Your ideal frame size may of course differ - depends on your proportions.
I built up a 57cm for my girlfriend many years ago, and though it was a fine 531 frame and felt like silk, light and responsive, I never have expected it to be a bike I could ride for more than 20 miles. Just too cramped.
When you have a bike that really fits you, it is a revelation.
Old 09-24-12, 10:16 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
A local shop has a good starting point that says when seated comfortably and your hands on the hoods you shouldn't be able to see the front axle. Your handlebar should block the view of the front axle. If you find yourself pushing back against the seat when climbing, slide the seat back and get a shorter stem. Just what one LBS says and I feel pretty good about the shop.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 10-11-12, 11:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about no pictures. I put a different saddle on the bike and with the seat all the way back I had pressure on the hands. So today I decided to move the seat forward because it was narrow and my sit bones were not fitting the narrow part of the saddle. To my surprise when I moved the saddle forward 2 cm the weight on my hands all but disappeared. This seems to be opposite from what I have read but it is working for me.
Old 10-11-12, 12:53 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 508 Posts
I have a fit question

Now, don't change anything for a few weeks!
Old 10-11-12, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 6'1" and ride a 58cm bike. Fit is basically perfect BUT I lave a long torso and slightly short legs(pants inseam is 32). You have long legs? Long legs/short torso would cause that problem it would seem. You'd need a short stem and then your legs would be close to bars.
Old 10-11-12, 02:28 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
and I'm 6', ride a 57 cm with a near perfect fit - go figure. I have long legs and a sort torso. I do have quite a bit of seat extension and about 3" of drop to the handlebars. Without at least one pic it's impossible to really provide much help, even over the interweb.
Old 10-11-12, 10:43 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by jim p
I really don't like the idea of a longer stem because the weight on my hands is border line being more than I want and if I am just crusing on flat ground I ride on the tops a good bit.

If I moved the seat forward, so that my knee is about 1" in front of the pedal axle, would I reduce my ability to apply power to the pedals. I have also heard that moving the seat back helps to reduce the pressure on the hands. So if I moved the seat forward then I guess that I would have even more pressure on my hands which I don't want because after about 3 hours of riding my shoulders begin to feel the strain.
I don't regard KOPS as all that important, but I agree with you about two things--trying to maintain balance of the body over the feet and keeping you knees from getting to close to the bar. Both indicate that you would be happier with your hips farther behind the bottom bracket, and I would certainly tackle that problem before looking at the stem.

My recommendation is a longer saddle, a seatpost with more setback, or a larger frame.
Old 10-12-12, 12:49 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
On KOPS- Every body has different dimensions and every one has a personal fit to a bike. I am 5'6" and inseam of 29". I have short legs and and the reason is the thigh being shorter than average. I like to have the knee just forward of the pedal axle and I ride Road bikes with a 535mm top tube and 90mm stem. Th Pinnie has a slightly shorter top tube and 100 mm stem.

On the frame- several things assist me in sorting the frame and that is seat and head tube angles. I know what I like to see on the dimension sheets and is normally the first thing I look at when choosing a frame and the size that will suit me.

Spike Milligan