Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Back in the saddle (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/850002-back-saddle.html)

SammyJ 10-01-12 06:40 PM

Back in the saddle

It's a long story, a medicine for blood pressure that caused a person to be short winded. And a doctor that said I was just getting old. I went from cruising at 24-25MPH,(Opps 14-15) heart rate at 150, and feeling fine; to I can't get my heart rate over 110 because I can't breath!

Been off that medicine since March, in May I went out of country for 3 months, and did a lot of walking.

I have been out for 3 rides on my new wheels, and I'm feeling great. I'm am so glad to be able to ride again!:lol:

qcpmsame 10-01-12 07:35 PM

Good to see you are back, hope you get things worked out soon. Ride Safe and ride lots, when you can.

Bill

Bikey Mikey 10-02-12 06:37 AM

or if this is more your taste...

GeorgeBMac 10-02-12 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by SammyJ (Post 14796025)
It's a long story, a medicine for blood pressure that caused a person to be short winded. And a doctor that said I was just getting old. I went from cruising at 24-25MPH,(Opps 14-15) heart rate at 150, and feeling fine; to I can't get my heart rate over 110 because I can't breath!

Been off that medicine since March, in May I went out of country for 3 months, and did a lot of walking.

I have been out for 3 rides on my new wheels, and I'm feeling great. I'm am so glad to be able to ride again!:lol:

That medication sounds like a Beta-Blocker -- which is used for more than just high blood pressure. Actually it is seldom used to control high blood pressure anymore because there are better alternatives available: ones that offer better control, and side affects that tend to be beneficial rather than harmful.

Perhaps you should find another doctor: it sounds to me like the one you were seeing either prescribed the wrong medication (for you and your life style) or did not describe your condition adequately. (i.e., perhaps you also have an arrythmia? or perhaps CHF?).

Whatever, but it sounds like you need either better medications or better information -- and probably both!

But, I would not simply stop taking the medication without finding out more about it... For most properly prescribed medications, non-compliance is the single most common cause of failure. You need to form a partnership with your physician so you can work out the best program for YOU.

For instance: High Blood Pressure has NO symptoms and with it you will feel fine -- until it paralyzes you with a stroke or kills you with a heart attack. But, IF that is your only problem there are literally dozens of medications out there (many of them generic) that will control your blood pressure without causing you to change anything you want to do... You will feel fine either taking them or not -- the difference is that with well cntrolled blood pressure your chances of stroke or heart attack drop substantially.

SammyJ 10-02-12 01:31 PM

It was my NEW doctor who took me off this medicine! A real Doctor I might add. Thanks George!