Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Autumnal Riding (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/851021-autumnal-riding.html)

howsteepisit 10-07-12 02:53 PM

Autumnal Riding

Yesterday I went for a simply glorious 30mile ride, then a fantastic 10 miles today. There is something very special to me about riding in the fall, the cool dry weather coupled with the warm sun has always been my favorite time of year to ride. So what is it that makes Fall riding so special?

howeeee 10-07-12 04:02 PM

I ride all year long and live in Michigan, riding anytime of the year is great. I get my greatest joy riding in the winter, it is very empowering gives me a feeling of strength and uniqueness knowing I am one of very few people that are strong enough in mind and body that can ride in the dead of winter in Michigan like weather. On the contrary the fall is the easiest weather to ride in.

Altamont 10-08-12 09:42 AM

only in this thread (over 50) would anyone use that glorious word, "Autumnal". how would you abbreviate that for a text message?!?

jon c. 10-08-12 09:49 AM

watch for patches of wet leaves though. a small pile of leaves my appear dry, but if they're wet underneath (in contact with the road surface), the whole pile will slide if you hit it at the right angle.

Roody 10-08-12 11:35 AM

One thing I like about autumn is that it fits my age. I'm past the spring of childhood and the long summer of nurturing a family. Now I'm in the autumn of my life, harvesting well-earned crops in the fullness of time, trying to store nuts for the winter of old age.

I also think the colors are pretty. ;)

Roody 10-08-12 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Altamont (Post 14818391)
only in this thread (over 50) would anyone use that glorious word, "Autumnal". how would you abbreviate that for a text message?!?

fll-lke

Beverly 10-08-12 01:28 PM

I love the fall colors but hate having to dodge those walnuts on the roads and trails:eek:

Esteban58 10-08-12 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 14819274)
I love the fall colors but hate having to dodge those walnuts on the roads and trails:eek:

+1, although I get some delight out of shooting an acorn sideways at high speed.

Timtruro 10-08-12 03:14 PM

Lots of slippery pine needles on some of the trails here on Old Cape Cod in the fall, but the riding spectacular this time of year.

howsteepisit 10-08-12 11:17 PM

Another fine fall ride today, 42 miles, 7000 feet of climbing, and a smile a mile wide. I tell ya, its something in the air.

Edit: I forgot to mention the wild Turkeys. There were three on the eduge of the road who did not seem to be concerned about my slow moving presence. I tried to reach out and touch one, but he moved back just enough so I could see but not touch. Think it may have been quite a shock if I had managed to per him on the way by

qcpmsame 10-09-12 05:43 AM

Yesterday was our first day of fall like weather for the full day. Sunday was the front clearing our area and, it was a strange temperature day, with ups and downs. Yesterday was really nice, 53 at 0500 when I left the house for work and 70 at 1500 when I went for a ride. Nice northerly breeze, not to bad as a headwind, that kept things on the cool side. Nothing like the rain and snow the plains and such were having this weekend. Wore bib tights and a long sleeved jersey since several sections of the route are shaded, felt just right, even in the sunshine. Glad the heat and humidity have abated a bit here, nice riding weather.

Bill

rm -rf 10-09-12 06:00 AM

Evening rides are now night rides:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-L...0/IMG_6430.jpg

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 14819274)

Yeah, they are all over the road.

The Osage Oranges tend to roll downhill and into the gutter, I wouldn't want to hit one. (They were eaten by giant ground sloths and mammoths!)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_orange_1.jpg

howsteepisit 10-09-12 09:11 AM

When I was i college in the late 1970's there was an Osage orange tree on campus, I used to listen and wtch the oranges fall to earth. I tell you truly, they made a heck of a wump when they hit, and a real mess on the walkway. I think they could cause serious injury if they were to hit you as you rode by.

Roody 10-09-12 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by howsteepisit (Post 14821339)
Another fine fall ride today, 42 miles, 7000 feet of climbing, and a smile a mile wide. I tell ya, its something in the air.

Edit: I forgot to mention the wild Turkeys. There were three on the eduge of the road who did not seem to be concerned about my slow moving presence. I tried to reach out and touch one, but he moved back just enough so I could see but not touch. Think it may have been quite a shock if I had managed to per him on the way by

I never understood why hunters say it's so hard to bag a turkey. Every time I see them, they just stand there and look stupid--whether I was hiking, mountain biking, or in a car.

One time I saw six turkeys crossing a highway in northern Michigan. They took about 10 minutes to cross the road, and many cars were backed up in both directions. Some people even got out of their cars and took close-up pictures.