Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Enough already....I Give UP!!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Enough already....I Give UP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-12, 12:23 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
I have a big brother, actually he's smaller then I, but he's older then I, so I call him big brother.

Anywho, yes, internet is indeed being paid for by our privacy, just as cell phones are even though we must pay for those.
Old 10-18-12, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some rays of hope.....

* I should qualify for a two person COBRA mandated health ins. coverage plan for 18 months (cost unknown but should be reletively affordable).
*Though the final negotiated plan has not yet been released,the PRNewswire reported that Kodak has agreed to setting up an extended COBRA plan, though I can find no verification yet and the court date to accept the negotiations is not until Oct. 29th.
* I have an interview scheduled for next Monday for a 'per diem position' with the area's largest employer, a health care organization. Generally per diems can transfer within the system to part time or full time jobs with benefits. It's my dream job and fits me perfectly.

If all this stuff actually comes together, I just might have made a good choice in retiring. In that case, you all will be getting bombarded with picture laced ride reports and photo documented discriptions of bike rebuilds.

It feels so great to have a twinge of optimism again...I just hope I don't wake up and discover that I've been dreaming!

Last edited by cranky old dude; 10-18-12 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-18-12, 05:17 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
YES!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-18-12, 08:35 PM

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe, '73/60 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Encouraging news. Hoping everything comes together
Old 10-18-12, 08:58 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's great to hear. I hope it all comes together for you!
Old 10-18-12, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I don't wish to be a total squib, but COD, be prepared for let-down on this.

If you have been employed for a long time by a company, then go through retrenchment, it will seem unfair how you are passed over and over for other jobs despite the prospects of landing them looking excellent. The issue is that unless you have been relatively mobile in your employment, you won't have much idea of how to draft an application, what the processes are, and even how to handle an interview.

Be aware that some positions might be advertised "to see what's out there", but in reality, the position will be filled internally. And often, it is almost impossible to get past Human Resources to identify and make contact with the people who actually will be the position managers, so you can "sell" yourself to them.

There is a thread in Foo that you may or may not find useful, but was started primarily for people like you, COD. Take a look at it. There is a broad contribution by both the OP and others on these forums who have been in a similar situation. Basically, you aren't alone.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...to-be-laid-off
Old 10-19-12, 05:53 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Good to hear a positive report from you Lenny, hope everything pans out for you and the missus.

bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 10-19-12, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, Cranky!
Old 10-19-12, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Some rays of hope.....

If all this stuff actually comes together, I just might have made a good choice in retiring. In that case, you all will be getting bombarded with picture laced ride reports and photo documented discriptions of bike rebuilds.

It feels so great to have a twinge of optimism again...I just hope I don't wake up and discover that I've been dreaming!
Ride reports and bike builds are what I come here for. Bring em on. Good to see you optimistic.
Old 10-24-12, 04:41 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Biopsy tomorrow morning.

I don't know which bothers me the most; the possibility of Cancer and all the fears, tests, and prodedures that goes with it or the overall sense that I have lost all control of my life.
Old 10-24-12, 05:23 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biopsy tomorrow morning.

I don't know which bothers me the most; the possibility of Cancer and all the fears, tests, and prodedures that goes with it or the overall sense that I have lost all control of my life.
Cranky, I'm not sure that any of us ever have control of our lives... Instead I think of it as a surfer out on the ocean -- we're just riding the waves and controlling the board as best we can. But the ocean is and always was in control. All we can do is ride the waves the best that we can...
Old 10-24-12, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Biopsy tomorrow morning.

That's a tough spot to be in, feeling that you're losing control of everything. You've been remarkably strong and resilient. So, as I'm sure you're going to do, take a deep breath and one step at a time. Know that there are lots of us pulling for you.
Old 10-24-12, 06:07 AM
Semper Fi

You are and will be in my prayers Lenny, I cannot imagine how the uncertainty must feel right now, never been in remotely a position as you are in now. I hope the biopsy is negative and that the other issues you and the missus are facing will be resolved for y'all.

Bill

Old 10-24-12, 06:17 AM
Banned.

Biopsy tomorrow morning.

I can tell you from a lor of experience that no one has control over their lives. One moment my oldest son was a normal, muscular, healthy young man of 21. The next second he was paralyzed from the neck down. One day I had no pain. The next, I had excruciating pain and could not eat or talk from Trigeminal Neuralgia. The wife had a rash, went to the doc, had Shingles which has turned into a 7 year struggle for relief from extreme pain every afternoon and evening since. We thought we were going to have a normal second son. Turned out he had profound developmental disabilities, CP, etc.

Somehow, we have made it this far, day by day.

So will you.

It helps some folks to have a belief and comfort in a God.

For some folks, their life from my perspective seems relatively easy. However. one never knows the demons they are holding in their minds, or what tomorrow will bring for them.

Somehow you and your wife will get through this.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-24-12 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-24-12, 07:11 AM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Biopsy tomorrow morning.

I don't believe in life is a surfer thing as one poster put it, I believe obstacles are put into our lives to help us grow in one way or another. I also believe that when you speak fear out of your month you believe what you said and heard yourself say, you need to change your words you speak and don't speak fear and illness over yourself. You have control over your life, you can live in fear or live in peace, it's really is your choice no matter the outcome of the tests. I do believe the surfer controls where the waves take him or her, not the other way around.
Old 10-24-12, 10:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
... I do believe the surfer controls where the waves take him or her, not the other way around.
The surfer controls the surf board -- but not the waves underneath it.

We only control how we respond to those things (good and bad) that life presents to us.
... Cranky had no contol over what happened to his organization, nor did he have control over his test results. But he can control how he responds to those challenges...

We are ALL thinking of you Cranky!
... And, I believe that you will do well...
Old 10-24-12, 10:46 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac

We only control how we respond to those things (good and bad) that life presents to us.
... Cranky had no contol over what happened to his organization, nor did he have control over his test results. But he can control how he responds to those challenges...

+1
Old 10-24-12, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac

That's what I mean't, we control how the wave takes us. And because we can, it's like you said: "But he can control how he responds to those challenges..." Very true, very true.
Old 10-25-12, 11:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biopsy tomorrow morning.
Hope it went smoothly... Keep us posted when you hear something back...
Old 10-27-12, 01:59 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you all.

For anyone facing a prostrate biopsy I can say don't sweat it. They've developed some newer and kinder equipment since my last biopsy. Instead of a spring driven (or whatever propelent) needle, it's now just a gentle insertion followed by a little snip. The Doc and I talked running and bicycling throughout the procedure.

Now for my position in life....

I feel kinda wierd. I'm waiting on three results that will determine the direction of the next phase of our lives:

* Obviously the biopsy results are one.

* The other is the result of the bankrupsy court followed by an explaination of what our health insurance options will be.

* The third is a job offer resulting from my interview last week. I recieved a call on Thursday from the HR gentleman requesting information from my current job. He was very generously showering compliments on me from both my interview with him and my interview with the Operations Manager. It's only a per diem position and won't yield many hours, but if I'm really lucky I might be able to work from within the system and get full time status with health benefits before my COBRA runs out.

Bikes....for all intents and purposes, I'm retired. I only need to stop in to the Plant for a while for some breakfast pizza on Wednesday morning. Now I intend to start sorting, cleaning, and restoring. Unfortunately, Sandy is coming to town so I may not get much accomplished. She is expected to stall over us and drop inches of rain over a several day period. Just gonna have to wait and see I guess.
Old 10-27-12, 02:36 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Excellent news on the job front. The other points you have no control over but you have on this job. Take it- providing it is what you want and just hope the others get the right result.

But the retirement ride is important. Just hope you can get it in with the rest of us.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-27-12, 02:37 AM

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mystang52
I presume you have an attorney representing your wife in her SS Disability application. If not, you should definitely get one. In my prior job I had some connections in this field. If you need a name of a good firm I can get a contact for you.
My wife's health went bad about ten years ago. I just worked a bit more to make up for her not being able to work.

Two months ago she was on life support for three weeks with an incredible hill to climb just to live.

The "Patient Advocate" at the hospital helped me to apply for aid. Social Security turned her down because she didn't have enough "work credits" (or, whatever they call them)........it seems we should have tried for assistance when she first got sick and had to stop working instead of me working to support us.

I can't figure it out, it seems that those who choose to do nothing except get a government check fair better than those of us that make an effort to work and pay our own way.
Old 10-27-12, 04:17 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cranky - you are in my prayers and I hope everything turns out good for you. Medicare is good, but last year I paid $6,700 for Part B supplement and the drug policy, so its not free. If you don't get the supplement you pay 20% of your medical bills.
Old 10-27-12, 08:24 AM

If you have the job offer then take it if you're questioning to do so because jobs are difficult to obtain today. You can always look for another job while working if that one isn't what you want.
Old 10-27-12, 08:42 AM
Semper Fi

Hoping for the best results on your biopsy, Lenny, prayers for a clean and green on it. the job offer sounds like a good thing for you, with your work ethic and personality I imagine you would be a regular, full-time employee. Be careful with Sandy, those hurricanes are rather rude visitors and ours don't even have the snow and cold element y'all are facing. Be safe and take care.

Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.