Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Advice on Fixed Speed

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Advice on Fixed Speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-12, 09:19 AM

Bikes: Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice on Fixed Speed

I'm currently putting together a fixed speed and am looking for some suggestions. I'd post over at the SS/FG Forum but think that there would be a more mature perspective here.
I currently have a SS/FG with drop bars that I use for the road. My typical ride is very flat so I use 44 by 16 gearing. The bike I want to build will be used on dirt and paved roads with some hills. I will not be using drop bars and will employ a single front brake. The bike I now use is strictly a Single Speed. The one I'm putting together will be mostly used as a Fixed Gear. I'm thinking a 42 by 16 or a 44 by 17 on the fixed gear side of a flip/flop hub. I'll go up one tooth on the SS side. I'm also looking for recommendations on tire type and size for use on paved and dirt roads (not trails). Thanks.
Old 10-27-12, 07:40 PM
On Two Wheels

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m 51 and have only ridden road bikes for about 12 years and fixed for a little over 4 years. I average almost 5,000 miles per year and about 25% of my miles are fixed. I’ve only had a couple short rides SS.

I will do regular 40+ miles rides fixed and usually do at least one 100-miler every year fixed. I did 500 miles fixed in NC in one week last year.

I’m currently geared 45 x 17, which is pretty much the same as 48 x 18 or 42 x 16. Since I am in TN, there are hills I have an 18t on the flip (or is it flop) side for hillier or windier conditions. I only use 48 x 16 for flat and calm conditions.

My very limited impression is that SS is easier and that I’d actually go down a tooth on SS cog (or up 3 on a chainring) if I switched to SS. But I really have very limited experience SS.

You are switching from SS to FG and hillier, so something easier would seem to make sense to me.

There is a sticky in the Singlespeed & Fixed Gear forum for The Age 40+ Singlespeed & Fixed Gear Thread.

Not sure how bad those dirt roads are, but I really like my Panaracer Pasela Tour Guards. And also I’d run 2 brakes.