Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I need more space and portable workstands! Minor rant....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-12, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Arrrghhh! I need more space. I'm trying to build up my new touring frame. Problem is that bits for it are coming off of two other bikes (each will get the original equipment reinstalled). The problem is that I have no way to get all three bikes out and in work stands at the same time. I've only room for two portable work stands in the sun room, where I'm doing the work. Even if I had more space in that room, I've only got two work stands. Why did this project seem so easy in my head? I could picture each component, from whence it would come, and how it would fit on the new build. I could even picture where I put the original components for the bikes that were being "farmed" for parts. What I did not picture in my head is shifting three bike back and forth between two work stands and how much additional time that would take. It really is complicated. For example, the original crank for one bike is on the other one I'm using for parts.... and it's not just the one part. Just once, really, just once, I'd like to have a bike build go as smoothly in real time as it did in my head as I was planning it. Perhaps planning is not my strong suit? I guess the real rant is that I was hoping to be able to ride the new build tonight after work. But that shall not happen. I've still too much to do.
Old 10-23-12, 10:54 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Work on the bike's sequentially. Set up the two donor bikes, strip and re-install the original parts. Put donor bikes back in storage and have at your new touring frame. My take is you're complaining with a wink! N+1 is a tough road.
Old 10-23-12, 11:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your just being a bit overdramatic here, when I was young & the family didn't own a bike stand, all you did was flip the bike upside down. Seems to me like this should work for 90 percent of the tear down and re-build.
Old 10-23-12, 12:14 PM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Agree with above ^^. You could do this with one stand. Strip the two donors first. All removed parts go into one of three boxes (from which you will later execute the builds), labeled "Tourer", "Donor 1", and "Donor 2". Toss all new parts (cables, tape, brake pads, whatever) into corresponding boxes. After all frames are stripped down as far as needed, position frames and boxes in different locations.

Begin to rebuild the donor bikes, each sequentially. Once these are done, move to the tourer. Take your time (as long as you have one remaining bike to ride).

You can do this.
Old 10-23-12, 03:32 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ratdog
Your just being a bit overdramatic here, when I was young & the family didn't own a bike stand, all you did was flip the bike upside down. Seems to me like this should work for 90 percent of the tear down and re-build.
That's the reason I have "minor rant" in the thread title.
Old 10-23-12, 03:34 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Agree with above ^^. You could do this with one stand. Strip the two donors first. All removed parts go into one of three boxes (from which you will later execute the builds), labeled "Tourer", "Donor 1", and "Donor 2". Toss all new parts (cables, tape, brake pads, whatever) into corresponding boxes. After all frames are stripped down as far as needed, position frames and boxes in different locations.

Begin to rebuild the donor bikes, each sequentially. Once these are done, move to the tourer. Take your time (as long as you have one remaining bike to ride).

You can do this.
Glad your system works for you. I think you missed my point, but, it's no biggie.
Old 10-23-12, 06:48 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Assembling a bike isn't all that hard. PLANNING the assembly of a bike is where it gets complicated.

I have only one piece of advice. Either invest in a mechanic's apron of some kind or do it in the nude.
Old 10-24-12, 05:56 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Never use a wire wheel or bench grinder in the nude. Also, not chemical strippers (sorry) or acids without protective coverings. Don't ask me how I know this. Obvously, I've read...
Old 10-24-12, 06:02 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I had dinner with my two sons last night. They both informed me that I was guilty of middle class whine. They went into a series of whines that had me in stitches.

Valley girl: "My IPad froze last night and I actually had to pull out my laptop to check my Facebook page. I mean really sometimes it just gets too hard."

Wealthy businessman: "This morning my Beemer had bird droppings on it. I knew I should have pulled the snow mobiles out of the garage and put the car in. I was 15 minutes late, because the car wash had a line."

Spoiled bike owner: "I don't know where to put all my bikes. I've actually had to hang two from the rafters in the garage, because the bike shed is full. And just today, I realized I didn't have three bike stands."

I think my wife and I must have done something right in raising these two.... smart a$$es.
Old 10-24-12, 06:15 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I had dinner with my two sons last night. They both informed me that I was guilty of middle class whine. They went into a series of whines that had me in stitches.
You didn't tell us you had sons. What does their workshop and garage space look like? Take your bikes over to one of their houses where you can spread out.

I have a line on an old restorable Corvair to buy. I'm not really interested in restoring it, I just want it because they all leak oil and I want to park it on one of my sons' driveways. They both kept some marginal cars parked on my driveway for extended periods. I don't get mad, I get even.
Old 10-24-12, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88

Valley girl: "My IPad froze last night and I actually had to pull out my laptop to check my Facebook page. I mean really sometimes it just gets too hard."

Wealthy businessman: "This morning my Beemer had bird droppings on it. I knew I should have pulled the snow mobiles out of the garage and put the car in. I was 15 minutes late, because the car wash had a line."

Spoiled bike owner: "I don't know where to put all my bikes. I've actually had to hang two from the rafters in the garage, because the bike shed is full. And just today, I realized I didn't have three bike stands."

I think my wife and I must have done something right in raising these two.... smart a$$es.
So... who's Valley girl?
Old 10-24-12, 08:53 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
So... who's Valley girl?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_girl
Old 10-25-12, 06:01 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NOS88: Perhaps it's not weak planning -- but overly strong optimism?

My most satifying and successful projects are the ones that I start with the idea and the attitude that they will be difficult. EVERYTIME I start a project thinking "This should be easy", it ain't...
Old 10-25-12, 06:51 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Oh, gag me with a spoun, I mean rilly, this is lik, totuly bogus man, fer surrrreee. At least you don't have to put the Beemer outside NOS. Your sons have good perspective on things and seem to have inherited a wry sense of humor from one of the gene donors involved in their beings.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 10-28-12, 09:07 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
As many have said, you donīt need 3 stands. My approach would be to keep the build bike on one stand. Then methodically strip the components you need and off the other two. Then build up the N+1. Finally put the donor bikes on the two stands and swap out or install the components you want on them. Simple eh_?
Old 10-28-12, 05:58 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnosis
NOS88, I tend to view such matters in the following light.

Presume for a moment that you could perform all the modifications/upgrades and be done in just one or two minutes. All the fun of such actions would be over and the magnitude of their accomplishment diminished by the relative ease and speed by which they had been completed.

Instead, enjoy every step of each process, clean, lube, and tweak as necessary, applying the full range of patience gained by the aging process, and when you are finally finished, it will feel like it was all the more worthwhile. Oft times enjoying the ride to its fullest is best appreciated when one reflects back upon all the efforts that made the ride possible…
Absolutely agree, the journey is both important and rewarding