Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Joined the 10K Club (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/855042-joined-10k-club.html)

Rwc5830 10-29-12 12:10 PM

Joined the 10K Club

Ok everyone, so there might not be an "official" 10K club but I did finish my latest major goal over the weekend. I'm the type of person that needs to have goals like mileage to keep me going.

I took up road cycling about 1.5 years ago and went over 10,000 miles with my ride on Sunday morning. While I'm not meticulous about logging my miles I do know I have at least 10,038 miles in the last year and a half. I had planned to be there sooner but two wrecks in July with some minor injuries and a hernia surgery in late September were setbacks; but all is good again.

For those who ride more miles than that, I'm in envy of your miles (10wheels, for example) and especially if you live in cold climates. Where I live I can ride most of the year, but do count the miles on a lifecycle when I ride it, but that was only about a dozen times at the gym.

One of these days, when I retire, I plan to log more miles because it is so much fun.

My last goals for 2012 are to log at least 7,000 miles for the calendar year and to do at least one more non-metric century. Will also look at joining a gym this winter that has some spinning classes.

One last thing, if you are new to road cycling and think all those miles are impossible; think again, because I did it even though the last time I rode bikes was in college and that was a long time ago!! Plus I'm overdue for a knee-replacement.....and still rode my bike 10,000+ miles. As they say, no excuses, just ride, as long as the Doc gives you an OK!

Richard

unterhausen 10-29-12 12:15 PM

that's really neat. I have never been one to track my miles, but I can look up some of my miles on Rusa.org, and i always find that interesting.
on edit: looked it up, 2200 miles in brevets this year. Nearly 900 miles on two rides in august

qcpmsame 10-29-12 12:34 PM

Rwc,
That is great news, congratulations on making 10K in only 1-1/2 years. I am tickled to hit 300-500 in a month and feel like I have done something. You guys that can log the miles have my admiration.

Bill

bjjoondo 10-29-12 01:40 PM

AWESOME, you've done way better than I, I was just looking at my profile on Bike Jounal and notice it's got me a just over 10,000 miles since I joined BJ in Nov. 2010. To be honest I was surprized as I'm more of a utility, lite recreational type of rider. Congrats and enjoy the next, 10,000! :)

Bikey Mikey 10-29-12 06:24 PM

:thumb:

El Segundo 10-29-12 07:21 PM

Awesome! :giver:

billydonn 10-29-12 10:09 PM

That is very good mileage indeed. :thumb:About 5,000 a year is all I can manage while still working.

Totoboa 10-30-12 07:00 AM

Great

Thanks for sharing Richard. I might have a couple hundred, but at least I started. May I inquire as to your age ?

John_V 10-30-12 02:17 PM

Congrats on making the 10k club. Great to see that you are going after and surpassing your goals. I went over 10,000 this month (10,248), and like you, have been plagued with injuries. However, you did it with six months less riding time. Hats off to you. :thumb:

climberguy 10-30-12 06:17 PM

Wow, congratulations. That's a lot of miles.

I have my own 10K goal. I try to get each ride over 10K (that's 10 kilometers). Since I'm a working single parent of two kids under 10, with no other family in the area, and have been dealing with a series of medical issues, that's about all I can accomplish.

20_700c 10-30-12 06:35 PM

Congratulations. That's a big number.

Rwc5830 10-30-12 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Totoboa (Post 14894761)
Thanks for sharing Richard. I might have a couple hundred, but at least I started. May I inquire as to your age ?

I'm at big 59 :-) A riding buddy who is my inspiration and my elected coach is in his 70s and logs more miles than me, but he is retired and an excellent rider!

Glad you started, after awhile it became almost an addition for me. Good luck!

jon c. 10-30-12 08:03 PM

Congratulations!

I started a year ago and won't get near that figure in another 6 months. So hard to find enough time for the longer rides. You have my admiration (mixed with a touch of envy).