Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The UK Officials want more walking and cycling.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 11:24 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Funny how long it takes politicians to discover what most of us know.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20499005

I have been cycling for 20 odd years now so know the benefits. Only problem is that at the bottom of the article is a link to another cycling article that came about after Wiggins had his accident.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20256047

Spike Milligan
Old 11-28-12, 06:38 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I knew about Wiggo being in an accident and had followed the developments on BBC and at the various magazines' web sites for UK publications and at RBA here. I didn't know about Mr. Sutton being in an accident that same day nor how serious it is. Sounds like some of the media accounts are looking for a sensational angle on top of the increase in cycling in the U.K. More cyclist means more chances for interaction with motorist and more accidents happening. I hope an education programme will help the U.K. cyclist and make motorist more aware of the increased use of bicycles for transportation. With the big increase in cycling interest following the TdF and Olympics and the U.K. successes cycling is really taking off there from what I see.

Everyone, Ride Safe, please we don't need a bunch of accident threads about cyclist here. U.K. and U.S. (and everyone else too.)

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-28-12, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
We see these sort of articles pretty regularly on this side of the pond as well. One key aspect that is never, ever mentioned regarding getting people to leave the cars parked is the need to make our roadways pleasant to walk on. Who wants to walk even a couple of miles alongside noisy smelly cars? Locally our few miles of bike paths are clogged with groups of people who DRIVE to them for the purpose of WALKING. People even drive to the edge of town to stroll up our local hill. (There are no sidewalks that approach the trail heads. How lame is that?) Do we really need car access to every square foot of space 24/7? It is quite literally killing us.
Old 11-28-12, 01:25 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I retired this year and decided that if the trip is less than 10 miles and I can get the shopping in a back pack--I cycle. I have even ridden 10 miles to the LBS- bought something too big to carry home on the bike and arranged for someone that works locally to pick it up. I walk into town for small shopping as the one thing that stops me riding and using the bike more often--Is Bike security.

Funny thing is on our offroad rides. We start from home and we have plenty of trails and Car parks for the visitors. You avoid the area around the car parks due to dog crap. People turn up in th car. Open the door to let the dog out and let it back in when it has finished exercising and crapping.

100yards from my house is a school. It is murder at drop off and collect time. At least 50% of the kids are dropped off by mum in her 4x4 and the ridiculous thing is that they cannot live more than 1 mile from the school. A lot of "Over" large kids there and several obese.

Get the violins out now

In my day I used to walk to the local school and I lived two miles from it. No-one had cars to drop their kids off and everyone walked. There were NO overweight kids at the school except one that had a genetic problem- She died when 24.

Think most of us here realise the benefits of exercise--The problem is how to get the Rest to act on the advice.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-28-12, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Funny how long it takes politicians to discover what most of us know.
Here's a "timely" quote from a news article in the "western" American city of Cincinnati, circa 1818:
There are multitudes who go to the grave simply from want of exercise. They acquire sedentary habits which give no alarm, but silently weaken the system. It is highly important in large cities that some innocent, simple, and not over-expensive mode of exercise should be afforded to the public.
From Bicycle, The History by David V. Herlihy

In the above quote, the writer was referring to the velocipede, which was a recent invention in 1818. It was the direct precursor to the bicycle. It had two wheels, one of which was steerable, and a saddle. However, the means of propulsion was striding with one's feet (pedals weren't added for several decades). These machines are making a comeback as tools to teach small children to ride.

So, even two centuries ago people were aware that a sedentary lifestyle is deadly.