Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New to riding but.... Really?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New to riding but.... Really?

Old 11-19-12, 06:56 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 68 Posts
To jmccain and bruce19 I agree with you...the other riders were just trying to help. I don't get it why so many people were offended.

I think that the OP was more offended by their CF bikes and expensive kit than by their actual comments.
Old 11-19-12, 07:01 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greyride View Post
So ok I ask the question. Are MTB shoes good enough to bike with or do I need Road Shoes?
I ride in Walking Shoes....

Old 11-19-12, 07:58 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
You handled things in your replies well, to me. Past that I wouldn't care what they had said, maybe, as said, they were just clumsy in the remarks. I quit caring what I had on or what color my tape/seat/sidewalls are or if they please someone, especially the "Velomanati" I am 56 y.o., what can they do save mutter about the weird guy back there or laugh at me, I'm well used to that anyway, that could do any harm to me. And as someone pointed out, at least the fashion conscious and "Elite" (in their minds) riders did speak civilly and not the usual sneers and derogatory remarks.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 11-19-12, 09:43 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
I'm with the first three responders (@ the op) on this one.
I was taught that proffering advice unasked is simply bad form; not on, whatever one's motivation. Perhaps it's a generational and/or cultural thing, but there it is.
In my view, the op's responses were remarkably restrained. I'd not have been so polite.
Old 11-19-12, 09:50 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can forgive them their... opinions, since they at least stopped to talk to you, and encouraged you to ride. Like most enthusiasts, they have opinions, and their enthusiasm will force them to share these opinions on the things they love at any given opportunity.

So they aren't total *insert insulting terms of choice here*, so much as they are... overenthusiastic, and... firm in their opinions. I will take proffered opinions any day, no matter how wrong-headed or irrelevant, to being totally ignored.

And I'm a running-shoe + toe-clips guy myself. Then again, I ride a hybrid with butterfly bars, so they probably don't expect much out of me, anyway!

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 11-19-12 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-19-12, 10:07 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
"watch my heel.. see more power for free." What was his heel doing that gave him 'free power'?
I too wear MTB shoes 100% of the time. I have multiple bikes and want to have the same pedal\cleat type on all of them.
I have have been having plantar fasciitis issues for a long time, and when I get a pair of shoes that support my feet they way they need to be supported, i.e. no pain, I stick with them.
Many of my rides include some walking(or standing inline for ice cream)
I don't have any issues riding with them on my road bike just because they aren't 'road shoes'.
I also don't care what anybody else thinks(the privilege of being over 50)!

So, keep on riding, and enjoying it, the way you are. If somebody gives your unwanted advice, simle, say thanks, and do what you want to do anyway.
Old 11-19-12, 10:07 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Greyride View Post
... Then he says Bike shoes, Bike Shoes, Bike Shoes..." I smile and say thanks.. as I think to myself I am wearing MTB shoes clipped in. Then the old guy says watch my heel.. see more power for free." .. .
Pardon my bluntness, but this guy is an idiot.
Old 11-19-12, 10:20 AM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wear what you want. If you're posting here, you should have progressed beyond the point of caring what others think. Especially of shoes. (Yes, I'm one of the few females without the Shoe Gene. Or the Purse Gene. Or the Shopping Gene.)
Old 11-19-12, 11:23 AM
NOS88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know, I've had a chance to think more about this thread (that's what happens when you’re in a waiting room waiting....). AND, I now remember that in my youth when I first discovered cycling shoes and the difference they made over my canvas Converse sneakers, I was eager to pass that news along to everyone. It was a discovery I thought worthy of sharing. I guess I might have been an idiot or a git; I know I wasn’t feeling superior to anyone, and wasn’t intending to be offensive. I’m a little surprised at how quickly folks want to assume negative motives. I guess I prefer to assume the best until I have reason to think otherwise.
Old 11-19-12, 11:54 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
You know, I've had a chance to think more about this thread (that's what happens when you’re in a waiting room waiting....). AND, I now remember that in my youth when I first discovered cycling shoes and the difference they made over my canvas Converse sneakers, I was eager to pass that news along to everyone. It was a discovery I thought worthy of sharing. I guess I might have been an idiot or a git; I know I wasn’t feeling superior to anyone, and wasn’t intending to be offensive. I’m a little surprised at how quickly folks want to assume negative motives. I guess I prefer to assume the best until I have reason to think otherwise.
+1

I passed a father and son on a long downhill. The son was riding a mountain bike with knobbies. I slowed enough to have a conversation where I told the father that if he could get his son to switch out the knobbies for slicks, his average speed would increase by a few mph. As I rode away, I heard the father saying "Did you hear what he said? We should try that today!"

I've also suggested lower gears to newbies riding up hills.

It isn't just what was said, but how it was said. Only the OP was there, so it's hard from just what is written to determine intent.

My bike is funny-looking enough that roadies never comment on my shoe choices...

Cheers,
Charles
Old 11-19-12, 12:03 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's almost always some umbrage somewhere on the buffet every day but we don't have to take any unless we really enjoy it.
Old 11-19-12, 01:09 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
The only negative thing I assumed about them was that they were cycling enthusiasts who couldn't identify mountain bike shoes while riding right next to some.
Old 11-19-12, 01:16 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
I ride in Walking Shoes....

I was at the same 2012 TdC you were at, Fred, and I don't recognize that pavement. Sure doesn't look like the Speedway to me.
Old 11-19-12, 01:19 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
AND, I now remember that in my youth when I first discovered cycling shoes and the difference they made over my canvas Converse sneakers

I didn't discover that until I was in my 50s. Of course, I had been off the bike from the 70s until last summer. Bought a pair of laceless Chuck Taylors for riding. My feet were getting painfully numb after 10 miles. I could not force myself to keep my heels down. Bought a pair of bike shoes that I ride sans cleats on platform pedals. With them I could go 20 miles before mild numbness set in. That I could live with as it wasn't really painful. Wasn't until reading this thread that I realized my feet really don't have problems anymore. Maybe a touch of numbness toward the end of a 40 or 50 mile ride.

But given that some MTB shoes look like sneakers, my first thought on reading this was that the guy was just trying to offer good advice, albeit crudely and unsolicited. Not the worst thing in the world.
Old 11-19-12, 01:59 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MTB shoes on a road bike for me as well. Specialized Sport MTB shoes that look like road shoes except for some tread on the bottom. I also have several pairs of riding shoes that look like sneakers or hiking shoes for when I will be off the bike more and needing to walk or just look like a normal human.

I ride with many people who don't like cycling shoes at all and just go with sneakers. It's just a personal preference thing.
Old 11-19-12, 03:13 PM
Greyride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL.. I was just thinking oh how funny it would be if the guy who I talked with was a member of BF.
To be perfectly honest I haven't been riding long enough to know that MTB Shoes=Road Shoes. I can say I was pretty worn out at the time .
Old 11-19-12, 03:19 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
I was at the same 2012 TdC you were at, Fred, and I don't recognize that pavement. Sure doesn't look like the Speedway to me.
RED bike Houston TDC.

White bike Indy TDC

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 11-19-12 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-19-12, 03:28 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meh. To paraphrase the OP's question: Are road shoes with road cleats more efficient or somehow facilitate more effective pedaling than mtb shoes?

I would say, after 40 years of riding in everything from Detto Pietro's with Anquetil cleats on the old pedals with toe clips, to Look/Mavic/Shimano cleats on road shoes, to Shimano RT-xx touring shoes with SPD cleats, that it makes no difference. I rode Paris-Brest-Paris on Shimano RT-80's (the mtb shoe with a smooth, rather than lugged, sole) so that I could easily WALK to the place at each controle where they stamp the route cards (which can be quite a distance from where you leave the bikes), and so I wouldn't be sliding all over wet flooring in the cafeterias, and this was on a fixed gear, so it was constant pedaling. And these guys you met want to tell people like me that I'm missing out on "free power?" Laughable.

I would have just quietly tailed on to them until the first long hill, just to see if I could drop them. If they started falling behind, I'd give them the old "you have just been dropped by a 62-year-old guy on a steel fixed-gear bike. And by the way, I'm using SPD cleats. See ya." Or, if I couldn't drop them, they'd get the "what was that about road shoes?" Guys like that deserve to have their minds played with.

Luis
Old 11-19-12, 03:56 PM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Next time tell them to flip it and slam it.
Old 11-19-12, 08:23 PM
Totoboa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
There's almost always some umbrage somewhere on the buffet every day but we don't have to take any unless we really enjoy it.
That would be Humble Pie !!
Old 11-19-12, 10:36 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, seems I'm too young to know better. All the 50+ guys have road and I'm the only one with MTB shoes.

Old 11-20-12, 12:31 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
Hmm, seems I'm too young to know better. All the 50+ guys have road and I'm the only one with MTB shoes.

With advancing age you will eventually learn to make better decisions Beanz!

Seriously though, I for one really, really like road shoes best. Anything that gives just a little more comfort and helps fend off hot spots when rides get long .... well, I'm all for it. And all this worry and fret about duckwalking is way overblown, IMO. It just isn't that big a deal.

As to the original etiquette issue, I'm going with the well-intentioned but clumsy advice theory. Of course it's hard to tell, as someone else said, but I would try not to get too worked up over it.
Old 11-20-12, 12:39 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
I prefer road shoes (the lighter the better), and appreciate riders who speak to others in a pleasant way.
Most of you guys need to chill.
70sFollis 072/71 Bottecchia Giro d Italia/72 Zeus Competition/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello Record/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico: The less ridden = '97 CoMotion tandem + city bike, mtn bike, beach cruiser
Old 11-20-12, 12:50 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
With advancing age you will eventually learn to make better decisions Beanz!
I must listen to the masters at this point. Well for another 6 months anyway.

I'm opposite as far as comfort. To each his own. Been riding in MTB shoes for 16 years. Tried Look road pedals and shoes, not for me. I've done 35 or so centuries, 70,000+ miles and sure there are riders in road shoes that have done as much or more and vice versa.

One thing I like about MTB shoes, It offers me the stability to suppor our tandem at stops without worrying about sliding cleats on the pavement (wife stoker remains engaged at stops/ I support our weight with wide stance, no hands, crotch to toptube). Not to mention I've read opposite opinions. Like I said to each his own.
Old 11-20-12, 06:06 AM
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever heard the old saw about driving speed: Anyone going faster than me is a maniac and anyone going slower is a moron.

Cycling clothing/gear is a lot like that: Anyone dressing simpler than me is a Fred and anyone dressing fancier is a poseur.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.