Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Non Bicycle survey of suburban dwellers.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Non Bicycle survey of suburban dwellers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-12, 09:05 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No coyotes. We're a tad more urban though there are lots of large wooded areas around the city. Raccoons, opossums, rabbits, and deer(and cats and dogs) are the larger animals that reside in the area. Of course there are the suicidal squirrels.

Though I've never seen any, it wouldn't surprise me if there haven't been some foxes in some areas of the city's borders now and then.
Old 11-22-12, 09:11 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
How to deal with Cougars

*nsfw
Old 11-22-12, 09:38 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
What if a coyote went into a yard and met up with a junk yard pitt bull trained to attack? Who would win?
Old 11-22-12, 09:42 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
What if a coyote went into a yard and met up with a junk yard pitt bull trained to attack? Who would win?
One would kill the other and perhaps society would win??
Old 11-22-12, 10:11 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
While on Urban pests-----.

Just been doing a bit of tree lopping. A Field maple that is just a bit too high so took about 15ft off the top. It is about 25 years old and a few dead branches needed cutting out aswell. Doing it with a bow saw and I am glad I am. Cut into a 6" thick dead stump 15ft off the ground and found a Wasps nest in the middle of it. Quickest out of a tree I have ever done unless you count the time I fell out of one. Not much activity from the wasps and even less from me right now. The ladder is still in place so tonight I will go up and spray the nest with killer and finish the tree next week.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-22-12, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
My money is on the dog in the first round.
Old 11-22-12, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
We have coyotes around here, as well as fox, raccoon, skunks, wabbits, and all the usual varmints.
Last winter, there was a local case of an 8 year old girl attacked in her own back yard by a coyote. She and a friend were making snow angels when the critter bounded over the fence and attacked her.
My theory is that the action of making a snow angel looked to the coyote like an animal in distress, and easy prey.
Story here.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...ed-in-backyard
Old 11-22-12, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
I always figured we needed to export some nice Lower Mainland coyotes to Victoria to restore the balance of nature.

Luis
We'll trade you some of the grizzlies that are showing up on the top end of the island for them. See if you can keep then around longer than the two legged ones you had for awhile
Old 11-22-12, 03:52 PM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
We had an opossum take a liking to the area under our air-conditioner years ago, back when our dogs were still alive. Ugh. Talk about a Rodent Of Unusual Size (I know, it's a marsupial, not a rodent! Poetic License!). Fortunately, the only 'coons I've seen so far have been roadkill.

I seem to remember hearing that there have been a few sightings of Mountain Lions near St. Louis (County), so it's not beyond belief that they will start showing up here too, with the deer population as bad as it is. Ah, there was one confirmed report in St. Louis County, back in January of 2011.

Ah, and evidently, the coyote is the Metro East's number one nuisance animal. Also, some good tips on living with one's coyote neighbors.

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 11-22-12 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-22-12, 04:05 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It seems like at least once or twice per year I have to break out the live trap to deal with some sort of critter in my horse barn. I use a live trap because sometimes I catch a barn cat. Cats can be let out, but varmints get introduced to Mr Wesson and get buried out in back. Over the years I've had all the standard ones: Possum, raccoon, skunk, groundhog, even a muskrat that tried to build his burrow under my driveway. The cats deal with all the small stuff like mice, shrews, voles, squirrels, even a few little weasels.
Old 11-22-12, 04:06 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Living in te 'burbs of Tucson we had lotsa coyotes the past 30+ years. But now becoming more citified they are less noticeable.
Old 11-22-12, 04:55 PM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Wild animals that eat meat hunt easy targets. If a Coyote jumped a pit bull I'd bet there was a pack of coyote's
in the shadows.

The pit bull Is domestic stupid, the coyote Is wild smart. they would never meet.

Leave wild animals alone and do not approach.
keep your domestic pets leashed or supervised If Alpha predators are near.

As for your personal safety,, you choose to be a victim by your actions.

My pants go on, my glock goes on. I am not a sheep.
Old 11-22-12, 05:53 PM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver

The only 'coon I've seen was roadkill, out by LAX (Imperial Hwy, almost to the beach). but I've reports that there's one hanging around near work, where a co-worker feeds the feral cats (and the local skunk). Coyote spotted one day while I was out for a ride, at the confluence of SGRT and the eponymous Coyote Creek. Hawks. The turkey buzzards that tend to hang around near the Lincoln Curve on SART. And I think I spotted a peregrine a couple of weeks ago on SART but didn't have any luck photographing it.
Old 11-22-12, 06:39 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Around here it's the moose... they either get to burrowing under buildings or get up in the rafters and make a hell of a mess with their droppings.
Old 11-22-12, 06:44 PM
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Yep, live in the suburbs here in the Los Angeles area and we have them. We've got two 'crazy cat ladies' in my neighborhood so the coyotes have a literal free buffet every spring when the cats birth kittens. Try to talk to the crazy ladies about it and you get nowhere.

Interesting video: This was from our city council meeting last week (Nov 19) where an item on the agenda was to hire a trapper and have the trapped coyotes 'euthanized' (killed). Start at about 30 minutes and you'll get to watch 90 speakers (3 minutes each) from both sides of the issue entertain you. Popcorn and beer suggested

https://huntingtonbeach.granicus.com/...=2&clip_id=829
Old 11-22-12, 08:52 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Haven't seen any coyotes in Little Rock, but when I lived in the desert near Palm Springs there were plenty in the hills near my home.

One time I was walking one of my dogs in the hills and we sat down to enjoy an overlook. The dog was enjoying a rare opportunity to sit in my lap. After a few minutes, I noticed a coyote coming up a trail. The dog tended to react to foreign canines as threats, so I was worried.

The coyote came by where we were sitting, maybe 6 feet away, and I could see that she was emaciated and her coat was very rough. It looked like she had some very young pups somewhere. She looked at us, and for once my dog was silent.

I looked at her, calmly, so she knew I offered her no challenge, but that if anyone was going to eat the dog in my lap, it was me. She padded on and took a fork in the path about 10 feet away and ascended the hill. When we left our spot, we took the other fork.

When I lived in San Diego, for a while my daily commute went right down the center of the Los Penasquitos Nature Preserve. It was fun to race the coyotes who would be surprised that I kept up with them as the ripped down the central path. I saved a bunny rabbits life once because I happened upon it and the bobcat that had it cornered at the exact moment the bobcat was about to strike. The bobcat got surprised and the bunny got away.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 11-22-12 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-22-12, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
I'm in Northern Va and they are starting to show up 50 miles from here. The experts think they will be common in the metro area in a couple years.
Old 11-22-12, 11:14 PM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We have Coyotes, Bobcats and Mountain Lions……Oh ya, we also have Great White sharks. The only one of the group I can remember to attack a human in our area is the shark. One attacked a kayaker here this year.
Old 11-22-12, 11:33 PM
West Coast Weenie

Bikes: 2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen a dead 'yote on the side of the road (sand hill road, in the rural part), and encountered deer a few times in the burbs... Plus we had a raccoon dig a hole in our roof in an exploratory nest build... Called the raccoon whisperer, but the coon was gone, must not have liked the way I looked. Fortunately we're to developed for coyotes around our house.
Old 11-23-12, 04:30 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Chances are one coyote would not confront a sizable and healthy animal. They will usually hunt in pairs or more. One of the things coyotes do is to be playful and run with a dog until it's exhausted and then kill it. So I'm not sure there's an easy answer to the question.
Old 11-23-12, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by osco53

As for your personal safety,, you choose to be a victim by your actions.

My pants go on, my glock goes on. I am not a sheep.
The more I know the stronger my conviction to carry when cycling especially on my cross bike out on the rail-trails. Last week a female jogger was attacked by a male jogger but managed to get away. Don't think they caught the guy. Between idiot humans and feral animals I have no questions about carrying my little Keltec .32. My gf who is not a firearms person used to be appalled. Now she asks, "Do you have the gun?" In fact, she's going to take the CT carry course from my son who is a firearms instructor.
Old 11-23-12, 04:41 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Next town over Bruce we have the usual Cayote, Fox and now Fisher Cats. No pets are left out at night as the critters wander all over the neighborhood. Deer and Turkey wander through from time to time.
Old 11-23-12, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Next town over Bruce we have the usual Cayote, Fox and now Fisher Cats. No pets are left out at night as the critters wander all over the neighborhood. Deer and Turkey wander through from time to time.
Franklin? Bozrah?
Old 11-23-12, 06:26 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Franklin? Bozrah?
Colchester ............err maybe the town after the next one over. You and I have still not encountered each other on the trail.
Old 11-23-12, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Colchester ............err maybe the town after the next one over. You and I have still not encountered each other on the trail.
Nope you are right Colchester is one of several towns that abuts Lebanon. If you see one of those Army green Raleigh's and a woman on an orange Kona "Jake the Snake" it will be us. Let me know if you want to meet up sometime. Yesterday we rode from Rt 87 (near our house) past Rt2 and half way to East Hampton. Then we started to lose the light and headed home. Great day though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.