Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

2012 goals met/reset? Getting close? Lost interest? Miles, smiles, other.........

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

2012 goals met/reset? Getting close? Lost interest? Miles, smiles, other.........

Old 11-22-12, 10:58 AM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't set a mileage goal - though I expect to be close to 4,000 miles by the end of the year. Doesn't matter if I don't make it.

There was a thread on the 41 a while ago:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...our-2012-Goals

My post was picked on as being egotistical

I've only been cycling since April 2011 (only did about half a dozen metrics, 2 centuries, RAGBRAI, and about a bunch of B+ paced club group rides), so almost any goal would be an improvement. New goals:

- Train more hills, and make them my strength instead of my weakness.

- Complete (and survive) a double-century.

- Do a grand fondo.

- Enter a race (not a crit).

- Join A-paced club rides, and don't be dropped.
So taking each of those goals:

- Train more hills, and make them my strength instead of my weakness.
Trained lots more hills - though they're still my weakness. I'm in a training program with a coach now, through the fall and winter, which will hopefully help a bit.

- Complete (and survive) a double-century.
Done.
And rode > 100 miles 10 times this year - one was a sub-5-hour century, completed while wearing a fifty+ jersey .

- Do a grand fondo.
Nah - with all the other centuries / brevets I did, this was no longer necessary. I'd still like to do one for fun, though.

- Enter a race (not a crit).
Did not do this - aiming for next year, after my fall / winter coaching sessions.

- Join A-paced club rides, and don't be dropped.
Done. I "led" several of my club's A-paced rides. There's a small group of club members who were closely matched and we did A-paced rides once a week, challenging ourselves and each other, and grew much stronger in the process. They were a lot of fun, and several friendships were developed in the process. A-pace in this context meant >20mph average in rolling terrain for 20 to 35 miles.

NOW - it's worth starting a follow-up thread about our 2013 goals...

Last edited by DGlenday; 11-22-12 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-22-12, 11:09 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's pretty impressive. Do you change into your cape in telephone booths, also?
Old 11-22-12, 11:19 AM
Vefer

Bikes: Trek 4300, '84 Trek 400,'88 Trek 560, 82 Motobecane Randonee, 75 Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn Sierra, '84 Trek 890, 2001 Trek 5200 OCLV USPS, 99 Trek Y Foil

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
High all and Happy Thanksgiving! I got a bike just before Thanksgiving last year. So I actually do have a yearly total now. When I first saw this post, I thought that I didn't have a goal. But that wasn't true. First my goal was "around the block" then it was 2 times around the block, then around the whole neighborhood. After a while I dreamed of the day of riding all the way to Wendy's for a dinner salad and hopefully make it home. Then I had a 10 mile goal, My longest ride this year has been 28 miles. I NEVER would have thought last year at this time that ANYONE could ride a bike 28 miles non-stop. Now I want to do more, but winter is coming. I bought a trainer, I ride inside. I now have 3 bikes, I also hang out on the C&V forum. These bike thingies are addicting.
So thanks to all of you folks for the stories, pictures and inspirations. I couldn't have made it without you.

Thanks and have a great turkey day to you and yours.

Part ll - I made it to just over 1200 miles this year.
Old 11-22-12, 11:26 AM
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My goal this year was to average 20 miles a day. That little bit calculates to 7,300. I'll miss it, darn it.
Old 11-22-12, 11:30 AM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had hoped for 5000 miles this year. Will end up with about 3000 or so. I am not horribly disappointed, since the first half of the year I spent over 50% of it traveling - and it is really hard to get out and ride when you are home between trips. I did manage my first 5 for 5 commute, have been much more regular about it (will be a month tomorrow since I filled my Trooper with gasoline!), and when a road ride opportunity hits I've been taking it.

I hope for 2013 to hit 5000, but my biggest goals are to lose the rest of the 30 pounds I need to (final weight 180) and to finish the Mount Shasta Summit Century.

But in the end, the main goal is to have fun on the bike - and that one I have achieved!
Old 11-22-12, 11:51 AM
PXrider

Bikes: Lemond Washoe (2016);Planet-X Nanolight (2011); Planet-X Uncle John (2013)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a few goals for 2012 that I have met, with one still to go.

1. Ride at least 2,173 miles (length of the 2012 TdF) - to date I am at 3,605 miles.
2. Ride two centuries - I did the Harmon Hundred in early September and then did Hincapie Gran Fondo in October (only 80 miles but with 8,000 feet of climbing).
3. Join a local bike club - joined the Bike Club of Lake County and rode with them almost every week. One of the best things I did all year.
4. Organize and run a small bike club at my church - we had up to 10 riders on some rides and 5 of us completed at least one century.
5. Ride 20 miles outside on the roads at least once in every month of 2012 (not a trivial goal as I live near Chicago) - January through November done, all I need is at least one ride in December. I'll ride behind the snow plow if that is what it takes!

Overall a great year - I discovered that I love climbing having after riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Hincapie Gran Fondo. So next year I will be searching out all the climbs I can find in IL and WI.
Old 11-22-12, 12:12 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Yep. I rode lots.
Old 11-22-12, 12:40 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
On track for 8,000 mi again this year. Most memorable was the 31 mi livestrong Ride with my grandson.
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...e-tandem-31-mi!

Last edited by bobthib; 11-22-12 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-22-12, 04:57 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Today: Cooked a turkey breast, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green beans. Wife baked punkin pie. Ate a lot.
Later.....went out and rode ten miles to reach my 4,000 miles goal for the year. A few hundred more than I got in last year.

Sub goals were to bike commute twice a week Spring through Fall. Didn't/haven't met that but did ride 1200 miles to and from work. So far.
Aimed for 1.000 miles on the tandem but rode 'only' 800 miles. That's ok because stoker and I very much enjoyed our rides and because she got in a bunch more solo miles (five hundred total) than last year. Our tandem year is likely over but I'll keep riding when the weather cooperates. Seems I prefer gawdawful hot days to frigid days for getting out on a bike.
A soft goal was to do a century but I didn't. Maybe next year. I'm ok with 40-60 mile rides.

Last edited by JanMM; 11-22-12 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-22-12, 05:13 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DGlenday View Post

My post was picked on as being egotistical

Somebody once said: "iT AIN'T BRAGGIN' IF YOU CAN DO IT!" (Neither is it egotistical)
Old 11-22-12, 05:39 PM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750 . Motobacane Centry

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2011 my goal was 4000 finished with 4371, Set goal for 2012 at 5000, beat that in the end of Sept., reset to 6000 will beat that this weekend, Should finish the year with approx 6600 miles. The poor weather we had in Oct. and Nov. killed any shot at making 7000 miles. Goal for next year 8000 miles.
Old 11-22-12, 06:10 PM
Mort Canard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
That's pretty impressive. Do you change into your cape in telephone booths, also?
Denver,
Where do you or anyone else find telephone booths any more?
Old 11-22-12, 06:13 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mort Canard View Post
Denver,
Where do you or anyone else find telephone booths any more?
Well, anyone who accomplishes as much as he did will have no trouble finding a telephone booth. I believe one is at the base of a 10 story building.
Old 11-22-12, 06:21 PM
Mort Canard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Well, anyone who accomplishes as much as he did will have no trouble finding a telephone booth. I believe one is at the base of a 10 story building.
Let me guess, only a single bound away!
Old 11-22-12, 06:42 PM
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't exactly have a mileage goal for 2012 but, in preparation for Paris-Brest-Paris in 2015, I thought I'd ride a few brevets to see how'd I'd like it.

We started with an early Jan century and I distinctly remember telling my buddy that if I had to do another 20-something miles to get to 200-km, I could....but it wouldn't be much fun.

Next up was a 300-km brevet in early Feb. I harassed my buddy by calling out the temperature every few miles....and he responded with the distance to go. At the lunch stop, I told him that my legs were dead and I wasn't sure I could make it. We finished the event with no issues however.

In early March, we knocked off a 400-km event and followed that with a late March, 200-km brevet that was a very entertaining ride down to Tucson, Oracle, etc.

So far, so good but the Tombstone 600 in mid-April kicked our butts. It was cold, rainy, icy and windy. We DNF'd after 90 miles. A SoCal 600 ended after 400+ km when we, and five others, missed a critical turn on the wrong side of a mountain.

We decided to attempt a Utah 600 and completed that one easily. That earned us the Super Randonneur award and qualified us for the CO Last Chance 1200. We hadn't planned on even attempting a 1200 for several years but...why not?

I was fortunate and finished it in 85.5 hours (full story linked below in my signature) so essentially I went from 0 to 1200-km brevets in 2012 and I may top 5,000 miles for the first time ever. It's been a pretty good year!
Old 11-23-12, 01:02 AM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
...so essentially I went from 0 to 1200-km brevets in 2012...
That's very impressive. I did a fleche, a few 200s, a 300, but DNFd the 400 ... and stopped. kudos to you for the SR, and for the 1200. PBP will be a breeze!
Old 11-23-12, 06:28 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 51 Posts
Thanks to cooler and wetter weather we usually pack it in by this time each year. But, several months ago we bought cyclo-cross bikes and a new world opened for us. One of the entrances to a rail-trail that runs about 50 mi. is right down the street from our house and we are having a great time riding it.
Old 11-23-12, 06:54 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My only goal is to return home from each bike ride in one piece. So far, so good.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-23-12, 07:38 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
My only goal is to return home from each bike ride in one piece. So far, so good.
I have to agree...

Years ago when I started down-hill skiing I considered my day was a good one if:
-- I didn't run into anything
-- Nobody ran into me
-- I didn't fall down

... I have transferred that criteria over to biking...
Old 11-23-12, 07:46 AM
GeorgeBMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
Thanks to cooler and wetter weather we usually pack it in by this time each year. But, several months ago we bought cyclo-cross bikes and a new world opened for us. One of the entrances to a rail-trail that runs about 50 mi. is right down the street from our house and we are having a great time riding it.
The same here -- except I went with a Trek DS instead of a cyclo-cross (which I am starting to consider...)

But two things that have definitely helped:
- Fenders: They keep me and the bike clean and dry on the wet Rails-to-Trails
- A nice big trunk with fold-out paniers: I can store additional or excess layers in there as the temperature rises or falls through the day.

So, back to the thrust of this thread: It has enabled me to keep my goal of riding 'a little' each day. I still don't go out if it is raining or rain is certain. But, when it "might" rain I go anyways... Right now, we have a rain front about to come through the area in about an hour. I'll wait till it passes and get my ride in for today...

The Trek DS is far heavier and "thicker" feeling that my 20 year old Cannondale R500 road bike. But, it is far more versatile.
Old 11-23-12, 07:48 AM
drmweaver2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started the year with a bunch of goals.(brevet series, P-12/R-12, 10k miles, etc.)...won't meet any of them. By Feb I'd simply lost interest and didn't do any real riding again until late April.

Set a new goal - 100 centuries in 100 days... modified that... didn't meet it because I simply lost interest after 40 or so centuries.

Have ridden maybe a dozen times since then - even after buying a new bike.
No real plans for any rides between now and year's end.

So, goals? Turned out to be meaningless this year.
Old 11-23-12, 08:24 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by drmweaver2 View Post
Started the year with a bunch of goals.(brevet series, P-12/R-12, 10k miles, etc.)...won't meet any of them. By Feb I'd simply lost interest and didn't do any real riding again until late April.

Set a new goal - 100 centuries in 100 days... modified that... didn't meet it because I simply lost interest after 40 or so centuries.

Have ridden maybe a dozen times since then - even after buying a new bike.
No real plans for any rides between now and year's end.

So, goals? Turned out to be meaningless this year.
Do you enjoy swimming or other sports? Maybe time for a change, or to set no goals and just ride for fun??
Old 11-23-12, 08:41 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I would have to say I did meet my goal this year, or rather, I will meet the goal. I wanted to be able to ride daily for a minimum of 10 miles at a fairly brisk pace and not be wiped out. Done this and it is a good feeling to be there at this level, and it is motivating me to do better next year. I started the year just able to do 2 miles on the road each day, 5 days a week, at best. I kept at the riding, regardless of the weather, save a thunder storm, and gradually improved to where I am now. I can easily ride 10 miles and hold around 16-18 MPH, attack on hills and hit 20-23 MPH on the flats for a short sprint. Longer rides have been sprinkled in for some challenge.

I July when I was diagnosed as a Stage 3B Chronic Renal Failure it was a wake up call about my dietary habits and my overall health from this. Monica and I adapted the diet to suit the Kidney Association's recommendations and kept up the riding, the doctor approved everything and I have managed the CRF well and lost #40 so far, safely.

My one big goal fell by the wayside when I injured my AT in the Fenner McConnell Century and had to sag back in. Discretion was the better part of valor as I could not push any force on the left leg at all without shooting pain up the leg. It was strange feeling but it passed quickly and the AT did not seem to be ruptured at all. I was back riding next day and it is clear now.

All in all this was a banner year for Monica and I, our health is improving very well and my riding is great for me. My goals are in the "Goals for 2013" thread. Best wishes to all of my 50+ brothers and sisters, you guys have made this all possible for us. Ride Safe and Ride Lots.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 11-23-12, 08:41 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I have no need for a telephone booth myself. Since I ride a recumbent I ride with exactly the same clothes I wear all summer long. A t-shirt that mainly comes from club rides, and a pair of rugby shorts I get for about $15 at Scheels a sports store works quite well. For the 47 years I worked as a customer engineer, I had to wear a suit and tie, so now it is t-shirts and shorts for me.
Old 11-23-12, 08:51 AM
GeorgeBMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
I would have to say I did meet my goal this year, or rather, I will meet the goal. I wanted to be able to ride daily for a minimum of 10 miles at a fairly brisk pace and not be wiped out. Done this and it is a good feeling to be there at this level, and it is motivating me to do better next year. I started the year just able to do 2 miles on the road each day, 5 days a week, at best. I kept at the riding, regardless of the weather, save a thunder storm, and gradually improved to where I am now. I can easily ride 10 miles and hold around 16-18 MPH, attack on hills and hit 20-23 MPH on the flats for a short sprint. Longer rides have been sprinkled in for some challenge.

I July when I was diagnosed as a Stage 3B Chronic Renal Failure it was a wake up call about my dietary habits and my overall health from this. Monica and I adapted the diet to suit the Kidney Association's recommendations and kept up the riding, the doctor approved everything and I have managed the CRF well and lost #40 so far, safely.

My one big goal fell by the wayside when I injured my AT in the Fenner McConnell Century and had to sag back in. Discretion was the better part of valor as I could not push any force on the left leg at all without shooting pain up the leg. It was strange feeling but it passed quickly and the AT did not seem to be ruptured at all. I was back riding next day and it is clear now.

All in all this was a banner year for Monica and I, our health is improving very well and my riding is great for me. My goals are in the "Goals for 2013" thread. Best wishes to all of my 50+ brothers and sisters, you guys have made this all possible for us. Ride Safe and Ride Lots.

Bill
Congratulations Bill, it sounds like you are doing things right -- not too much, not too little. Not abusing your body with either under-use nor over-use... Just sensible, common sense things that are right for YOU...

Keep up the good work!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.