Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ Forum Posting Etiquette

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-26-12, 08:07 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe we're rounding into the season when proper etiquette should indicate that folks living in the West or Southwest refrain from mentioning ambient temperature in their posts. Perhaps a ban from Thanksgiving to April Fools' Day might be appropriate. I really enjoy reading about winter riding, but almost feel guilty about mentioning our mid-winter temperatures. Yesterday, I had to wear both leg and arm warmers, but was able to shed both as soon as I started to climb. Does anyone living in the Midwest need to know that it was 60+ degrees at the end of the ride?

I'd like to make an exception for rides where the temperature at the start is actually mid-30's or so.
Old 11-26-12, 08:12 AM
ThatBritBloke
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah!!! And what about those other guys who live in the rest of the world? Don't those Kiwis know it's winter here???
Old 11-26-12, 08:21 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
I'll make an offer: When it's July or August and the weather is cool and mild in the Great Lakes region, I won't mention how great it was to ride in the afternoon!

May Garmin data from yesterday is as follows;

Temperature
Avg Temperature: 31.5 F
Min Temperature: 26.6 F
Max Temperature: 35.6 F

And yesterday was nice day (for November)!
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-26-12 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-26-12, 08:23 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
I believe we're rounding into the season when proper etiquette should indicate that folks living in the West or Southwest refrain from mentioning ambient temperature in their posts. Perhaps a ban from Thanksgiving to April Fools' Day might be appropriate. I really enjoy reading about winter riding, but almost feel guilty about mentioning our mid-winter temperatures. Yesterday, I had to wear both leg and arm warmers, but was able to shed both as soon as I started to climb. Does anyone living in the Midwest need to know that it was 60+ degrees at the end of the ride?

I'd like to make an exception for rides where the temperature at the start is actually mid-30's or so.
Damn, it gets cold in California! I'm glad I live in Florida.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-26-12, 08:32 AM
jdon

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
68 degrees throughout my ride yesterday. Not a breath of wind nor a drop of precipitation. Humidity was perfect. A good HVAC system is well worth the money.
Old 11-26-12, 09:03 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon View Post
68 degrees throughout my ride yesterday. Not a breath of wind nor a drop of precipitation. Humidity was perfect. A good HVAC system is well worth the money.
Old 11-26-12, 09:18 AM
NOS88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comparative misery has never been a meal digested well. I think I'll try to stay away from the discussion that follows in this thread.

Last edited by NOS88; 11-26-12 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-26-12, 09:50 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold is not a problem--Just layer up. Heat is not a problem--Thin base wicking layer and a short sleeve and enough speed to get a draught.

It's when The rain and the wind come over here (October to March for the last few years) that I get annoyed when people post about their 65 miler done on a windless dry day and the effort involved kept them just warm enough.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-26-12, 10:02 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, how about the posts from those self-proclaimed hardy souls riding at temps of -40F with winds of near 100 mph and 3 feet of snow on the ground with an ice base who relish in telling us of their manliness (or womanliness) in doing their 20+ mile rides??

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-26-12 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-26-12, 10:12 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb should be canceled due to lack of interest!!!!!
Old 11-26-12, 10:14 AM
overthehillmedi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does it mean that I wont be able to mitch and boan about the niegh four inches of rain forecasted for the next seven days
Old 11-26-12, 10:51 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Timely post.... and I suggest viewing it as a recurring, unspoken, "seasonal norm" of some sort. And the HTFUers are almost as bad as warm-area residing seasonal gloaters.

First snow flurries of the year are falling here this morning and it will soon be the start of the indoor training season. I have ordered a new KK Rock n Roll Trainer that I can't wait to try out!
Old 11-26-12, 10:59 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts

Up here in north Florida (30 miles from the Georgia border), it has dipped to below 30 degrees overnight that last couple of nights. Yesterday, I didn't start riding until after 2:00 pm as I was waiting for it to hit 65. But I got a nice 35 mile ride in, just a bit later than usual.
Old 11-26-12, 11:07 AM
Ancient Mariner

Bikes: Giant Defy Comp 2, Specialized Rockhopper Hard Tail 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems to me this proposal is maybe a little one-sided. Where I live, I have to endure daytime temperatures in excess of 110F during the peak riding months for most everyone else in the Northern Hemisphere. It doesn't seem unreasonable for me to point out that our daytime temperatures are now in the 70's while others are fighting bitterly cold weather. I don't gloat about it because, in balance, I have problems of my own during the 'warm' months. I do not expect sympathy. I don't even expect a passing thought from others in August and September when the only comfortable time to ride is 5:00am. Sorry, but I really don't feel the need to be deferential to people who might be offended by an occasional reference to weather. In fact, our Chamber of Commerce demands it. It's all part of the choices we make.
Old 11-26-12, 11:10 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So 50+ is referring to the temperature, yes?
Old 11-26-12, 11:18 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I guess its bad form to comment that we had perfect weather this weekend. Saturday even got to be in the 80's? BTW yesterday as the best of all days - around 72 and bright and sunny... perfect for riding...

I will remember in the future not to gloat!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 11-26-12, 11:23 AM
Ancient Mariner

Bikes: Giant Defy Comp 2, Specialized Rockhopper Hard Tail 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
So I guess its bad form to comment that we had perfect weather this weekend. Saturday even got to be in the 80's? BTW yesterday as the best of all days - around 72 and bright and sunny... perfect for riding...

Yup. You should be banned. Sorry.
Old 11-26-12, 12:42 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
I get annoyed when people post about their 65 miler done on a windless dry day and the effort involved kept them just warm enough.
I'll keep that in mind
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Well, how about the posts from those self-proclaimed hardy souls riding at temps of -40F with winds of near 100 mph and 3 feet of snow on the ground with an ice base who relish in telling us of their manliness (or womanliness) in doing their 20+ mile rides??
And what is wrong with personal achievement?
Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
Does it mean that I wont be able to mitch and boan about the niegh four inches of rain forecasted for the next seven days
Pleeeaaasssee... get it out of the way before we get back to Vancouver. Please.
Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post

I have a forgetful memory.

It was glorious down here in the Deep South. Louisiana weather over the weekend was superb, and in fact for the past two weeks we have been in Texas, Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida, there wasn't a drop of rain until last night.

I do remember leaving Calgary one year with snow on the ground and the outside temp at -40 deg F and arriving in Melbourne with the outside temp at 104 deg F (-40 deg C to +40 deg C). That was an interesting exercise in adaptability. I hung around the airport with its aircon for four hours, before venturing outside to ride 20 miles to a campsite. It wasn't pleasant.
Old 11-26-12, 12:59 PM
marmot

Bikes: Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I LIKE the winter, and don't mind following my nine months of riding with three months of skiing (and I do bike in the winter when the roads are clear). The SOBs I envy are the folks out west who have the choice of nice, comfortable riding or great skiing on the same day.
Old 11-26-12, 01:44 PM
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I'll add to the breaches of etiquette by noting that we're just starting to enter my favorite 4 months of cycling here in Texas. You can pity me in June, July, August, September...
Old 11-26-12, 02:02 PM
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HTFU and cycle on.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-26-12, 03:58 PM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling in cold weather is fun. I cycled in 30F this weekend and I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed it. I feel kinda sorry for people who live monoseasonally. It must be so boring.

Old 11-26-12, 04:39 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
No problems here with the etiquette orders, we all have seasons that make the riding a challenge or put us on the trainers. I can enjoy the winter weather being mild here, the summer heat and humidity are our challenge and we ride in it so we can do just that, RIDE.

Everyone be safe regardless of the weather where ever you are, we don't need any threads about a member getting injured or worse.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 11-26-12, 05:00 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, can those of us living in New Zealand just continue with the status quo of rubbing it in year round?
Old 11-26-12, 05:01 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to ride in the Pacific NW, you have to enjoy riding in the rain. This is year-round.

I don't mind the cold winter temperatures, either. Here in the southwest corner of Canada, the temps dip below freezing for short periods a few times each winter. What I really don't like is when there's ice on the road (or sometimes snow), and it gets tricky to ride without crashing. Crashes on ice are usually pretty sudden and hard. But riding in such conditions really improves your bike-handling.

Luis

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.