Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   50+ shaving (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/864105-50-shaving.html)

wobblyoldgeezer 12-24-12 08:26 AM

50+ shaving

Yes, I know, shaving threads on a cycling forum...
However
Many of our male friends here have some fetching grizzly fibre.

As did I

Until daughter said the beard and the glasses were a bit like a serial killer. She's young, she should know.

So, I got rid of the face fur. I was kind of keen to do so, because the last time I was sleek cheeked I was a 50 Kilos national finalist in road racing and so forth. So I thought the shave would reveal my inner Mr. Sleek.

Lordy, no. Mr ChubbyJowls turned up uninvited.

I'll pretend not to care

Doohickie 12-24-12 08:29 AM

Pics or meh.

Bikey Mikey 12-24-12 08:31 AM

I've been bearded since my mid thirties(always had a moustache) and I shaved it once in my early 40s--grew it back and have had one ever since.

scroca 12-24-12 08:34 AM

wobblyoldgeezer, you made me chuckle.

For the record, the only hair I have above my shoulders is eye brows and eye lashes.

wobblyoldgeezer 12-24-12 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
With Beard, Recently

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=289926

DnvrFox 12-24-12 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by wobblyoldgeezer (Post 15083108)

Errrr . . .

Who's going to look at you with the beautiful damsel as stoker?

Mort Canard 12-24-12 08:47 AM

WOG,
I would think that you will be an extremely rare individual in Bahrain as beards are almost universal for men in that part of the world. ...or am I wrong?

As for me I have had a*mustache*ever since I could grow one. *I have on occasion had a beard but it is not a very full one and there were always some bald spots around the corners of my mouth, so I have shaved for decades. *

david58 12-24-12 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by scroca (Post 15083099)
wobblyoldgeezer, you made me chuckle.

For the record, the only hair I have above my shoulders is eye brows and eye lashes.

Sadly, more on my back and in my ears than on my chin these days.

JanMM 12-24-12 09:18 AM

I thought this thread was going to be about Ear Hair.

Dudelsack 12-24-12 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 15083117)
Errrr . . .

Who's going to look at you with the beautiful damsel as stoker?

Yeah, I agree. Not interested in the beard, tell us more about the babe.

Srsly, I have a goatee that was brown when I first grew it and now is white. I don't mind. As you found out, it helps the chin line. I won't get rid of the goatee unless I get cosmetic surgery, which is most unlikely.

DnvrFox 12-24-12 09:33 AM

Never, never a beard or a moustache. And, almost no hair on the top. I am very sensitive to touch and it would drive me absolutely nuts, as even longer hair does. Well, at least that way I would have an excuse . . . :)

Bikey Mikey 12-24-12 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 15083268)
I have hair in places other people don't even have as places. I just never cared for the beard thing, my B-I-L and his son both wear beards, have for a long time in the B-I-L case, my nephew, since he was 17. My entire back, shoulders, chest and abdomen, arms, legs and the rest are covered...
Bill

Bill, I didn't need that visual.

stapfam 12-24-12 11:04 AM

My beard has only been off once in the last 40 years and that was for charity. That was enough. I remember the soreness still and I am never shaving again.

Cleave 12-24-12 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 15083250)
I thought this thread was going to be about Ear Hair.

I thought it was about leg hair.

Mort Canard 12-24-12 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cleave (Post 15083870)

Yeah, that was my fear when I first saw the title. :eek:

jdon 12-24-12 01:27 PM

Had a moustache from 19 to 35 and have been happily clean shaven ever since. Almost had the police after me the first day I removed it as my youngest broke out in tears while at the mall. She was sobbing "you're not my daddy".

CACycling 12-24-12 01:38 PM

With the exception of one day a couple of decades ago when I had to shave for a respirator certification, I've had a full beard since I was 19.

Rwc5830 12-24-12 03:46 PM

Guess I'll jump in.

My grown sons have never seen me without a beard, as well as my late wife. So it's been a long, long time for me.

To keep this on topic, maybe if I shaved I'd go faster on my road bike....but then I'd have to shave the arms and legs... Nah, never mind, not going to happen ;)

I'm fine for now.

Tandem427 12-24-12 04:00 PM

Facial hair is mandatory for an old guy riding a recumbent. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

locolobo13 12-24-12 05:47 PM

Tried growing a beard in college. It had bald spots. Gave up on beards. Had a mustache for a long time. Shaved it off a few years ago. Getting pretty thin on top now. Thinking about just shaving the top too.

Foldable Two 12-24-12 06:35 PM

Hit 70 in 2 weeks, still have a full head of hair (now salt and pepper), all my testosterone seems to be in my eyebrows at the current time - they grow like weeds. Usually have some gray stubble because I only shave about every 4th day to keep razor blade costs down. (That's "Chained-CPI" logic, in practice.)

Had an 'Abe Lincoln beard' in mid-1970's. It kept the cold air from getting up under my motorcycle helmet during early morning commutes on the L.A. Freeways.

JanMM 12-24-12 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cleave (Post 15083870)

This is 50+ not the 41.

lphilpot 12-24-12 07:16 PM

In my early 20s I tried the Fu Manchu look to a degree (all closely-shorn, though, nothing dangling). That expanded into a full, but closely trimmed, beard in my mid thirties that I've had ever since. When my daughter was born, it (and the rest of my hair) were reddish-brown. Now, the hair is grey speckled and the beard mostly white. Coincidence? :innocent: ;)

B. Carfree 12-24-12 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by lphilpot (Post 15084869)
In my early 20s I tried the Fu Manchu look to a degree (all closely-shorn, though, nothing dangling). That expanded into a full, but closely trimmed, beard in my mid thirties that I've had ever since. When my daughter was born, it (and the rest of my hair) were reddish-brown. Now, the hair is grey speckled and the beard mostly white. Coincidence? :innocent: ;)

The youngest of my three older sister was born a year before me. When she was born, my dad had black hair. By the time I made my entry, it had turned gray and he was only twenty-nine years old. My sister insists it was the horror of my imminent existence that precipitated the graying of our father, but I have a different take on it.

Back to the beard thing. Am I the only person who still grows a beard seasonally? I am clean shaven from the first signs of warm weather in February until the chill returns in November. It keeps my face from being chapped as I ride and walk.

By the way, what passes for cold weather these days is anything below 40F. When I lived near Sacramento, CA, cold was anything below 55F.

GeorgeBaby 12-24-12 08:45 PM

I've had a full beard since I was about 19. I shaved it off twice -- both times most people didn't even recognize me. One time, a lovely young woman came up to me, ran her hand across my cheek and said "grow it back" :eek:.