Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Another N00B Question

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Another N00B Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-13, 07:13 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another N00B Question

Today, to vary my route, I spent a little more time on surface streets than on my previous rides. This brought a question in my mind, how many of y'all have rear view mirrors on your bikes? I could tell folks were coming up behind me by the sound but my ears aren't what they once were. What are your general thoughts on the issue of mirrors?
Old 01-05-13, 07:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't imagine being without but I notice roadies don't have them??
Old 01-05-13, 07:49 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I have bar end mirrors on my road bikes.
Old 01-05-13, 07:54 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I've been using helmet mounted Cycle Aware Reflex mirrors for several years.
https://www.cycleaware.com/index.php?...&products_id=1

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-05-13, 08:10 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's on my list...
Old 01-05-13, 08:21 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
I feel naked without my take-a-look mirror.
https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Peddler-C.../dp/B001VTQNVO
Old 01-05-13, 08:49 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Mirrors, yes.

The roadies who make fun of them are fools.

Old 01-05-13, 09:00 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I don't make fun of them, and I've tried lots of different kinds and mirror mounting points and have yet to find one that works for me.

Hopefully someday I will, but for now, none of my bikes (nor my helmet, glasses, etc.) has a mirror mounted.

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 01-05-13 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-05-13, 09:16 PM
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is one of those topics that comes up periodically, and all kinds of opinions get expressed each time.

Mine is that I wouldn't want to ride my bike without a mirror any more than I'd want to drive a car without the rear-view. But I do most of my cycling on city streets where there's going to be traffic coming up behind me. If I was riding off road I might not care about mirrors so much.

If you have doubts about the sharpness of your hearing a mirror may well be worth a try. Again, people have their own opinions of the relative merits of various mirrors, but for me any mirror would be better than none.
Old 01-05-13, 09:35 PM

Bikes: Kona Wheelhouse

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Ultralite Mirror. I have it attached to the upper part of the left drop. I find them very useful.
Old 01-05-13, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I use Third Eye bar end mirrors on my road bikes.
Old 01-05-13, 11:57 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I had one on one of my bikes and I had problems with it moving all the time. Never used it till I used the other bike and found myself looking for it.

Good unit to have on the bike providing it does not move and cause problems with you having to adjust all the time.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-06-13, 12:12 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
I feel naked without my take-a-look mirror.
https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Peddler-C.../dp/B001VTQNVO
Take-a-look is my favorite, too.
I've used helmet- or glasses-mounted mirrors for more than thirty years.
Old 01-06-13, 12:25 AM

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Sarge
...This brought a question in my mind, how many of y'all have rear view mirrors on your bikes? What are your general thoughts on the issue of mirrors?
I have them on all three of my bikes - two hybrids and a road. Wouldn't be without them.

Both hybrids have the bar end mirrors. Love them! The road bike has a cheapee teardrop mirror (a Wal-Mart velcro-onto-the-grip twist mirror) that is strapped to the left drop at the curl, pointing downward rather than horizontally as would be normal on a flatbar bike. The mirror twists just enough to give a glimpse of the scenery behind me, is tight in profile to the bike, and completely out of the way of my hands on the bars. I didn't like the road bike end bars, or a helmet mirror, so this was the best alternative.

Last edited by momsonherbike; 01-06-13 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-06-13, 01:41 AM

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet mounted for both my wife (stoker) and myself. Can't imagine not being able to see behind.
Old 01-06-13, 03:26 AM
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You might want to check out This thread
HTH -
- Wil
Old 01-06-13, 05:08 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I've used helmet- or glasses-mounted mirrors for more than thirty years.
Me, too. I can't begin to describe adequately the degree of mental comfort they provide, particularly since almost all of my riding is on roads and streets.
Old 01-06-13, 05:40 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I like mirrors, even on some offroad rides. There are faster riders on some of my off road trails and I like to move over and let them by. On some surfaces I do not hear them coming.
Old 01-06-13, 06:15 AM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I've had bar end mirrors and they mostly worked though some were better positioned or had less blur than others. You may find yourself buying a few before you get one you like.
I've had a helmet mounted mirror that worked well but found I had to readjust it every time I put on my helmet because it had been bumped ... and putting the helmet down became a nightmare.

The MAIN reason I stopped using a mirror though was all they can do is tell you there IS a car there. If you can't see a car, you still have to do a head check. For that, your hearing is good enough because, only a fool changes line without a head check.

Should you fit one? Sure, give it a go. Which sort depends on your bike, you and your habits. Try some different sorts if you like. They do give a quick and easy way to check if someone is there and that can give confidence if there's traffic around which is a very real benefit in itself. Just be aware that they do not replace a look over your shoulder.

I understand the problem of an aging body not wanting to turn around to check traffic - there's nothing wrong with stopping to have a good look and, like most things in cycling, looking over your shoulder is a skill that gets easier as you do more of it.

Cycling is a process of working out which bits you want on your bike. It's part of the joy of cycling. Try everything you think might help. Your bike WILL get too fussy ( you'll fix that once you notice it) and you will build a collection of stuff you no longer use. So what? If cycling isn't fun, why do it? So what if the owner of your lbs funded his own upgrade on your experiments? Cripes, I've just built a complete bike and bought nothing, it all came out my boxes of bits, including the cables and brake blocks. Too many people imagine cycling must be done in a certain way and some weirdos imagine it's only about the riding. Nope, cycling is a life in itself and like all lives, you get to live it your way.

Last edited by europa; 01-06-13 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-06-13, 06:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to thank everyone for their advice. I admit I was a little surprised the majority who responded use mirrors....guess I have been spending too much time in A&S. Just placed an order with Amazon (after checking my LBS website and they didn't show any helmet mount mirrors in stock) for two different mirrors since they were cheaper than I expected.

Thanks again. This forum has been a huge help with advice.
Old 01-06-13, 06:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your message posted as I was typing my reply to previous messages and I just have to respond.

Originally Posted by europa
The MAIN reason I stopped using a mirror though was all they can do is tell you there IS a car there. If you can't see a car, you still have to do a head check. For that, your hearing is good enough because, only a fool changes line without a head check.

Should you fit one? Sure, give it a go. Which sort depends on your bike, you and your habits. Try some different sorts if you like. They do give a quick and easy way to check if someone is there and that can give confidence if there's traffic around which is a very real benefit in itself. Just be aware that they do not replace a look over your shoulder.

I understand the problem of an aging body not wanting to turn around to check traffic - there's nothing wrong with stopping to have a good look and, like most things in cycling, looking over your shoulder is a skill that gets easier as you do more of it.

Cycling is a process of working out which bits you want on your bike. It's part of the joy of cycling. Try everything you think might help. Your bike WILL get too fussy ( you'll fix that once you notice it) and you will build a collection of stuff you no longer use. So what? If cycling isn't fun, why do it? So what if the owner of your lbs funded his own upgrade on your experiments? Cripes, I've just built a complete bike and bought nothing, it all came out my boxes of bits, including the cables and brake blocks. Too many people imagine cycling must be done in a certain way and some weirdos imagine it's only about the riding. Nope, cycling is a life in itself and like all lives, you get to live it your way.
You voiced the exact things I feel. I did order two different mirrors to see what I like (they aren't that expensive). My head turns are not great any longer but I expect the riding will give me greater flexibility and I can see biking, not just riding, becoming a life style. For a grumpy old bogga you have a lot of wisdom.
Old 01-06-13, 07:03 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Back in my diamond frame riding days I THOUGHT that I needed one.

Since I've started riding recumbents I REALLY need one. Since you lean back on a recumbent seat, you can't twist your torso as easily to look behind you.
Old 01-06-13, 08:36 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I put mirrors on all my bikes. I consider them an important part of my staying safe in what can be a dangerous hobby. I don't see any downside. My $.02.
Old 01-06-13, 10:06 AM
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Serious question here not trying to incite a quarrel. Why dont you guys just turn your head... it took me little while to get use to it, but once I got over veering off in the direction I was looking I like that method much more than trying to focus in a small mirror.
Old 01-06-13, 10:14 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Serious answer. I do both. Just as you get used to turning and looking without veering, you get used to glancing at the mirror without focusing your attention on it. Just like the side mirror on your car, it provides another way to notice things behind you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.