Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Overrated and overeused words

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-13, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts

I started a thread in the Clydesdale and Athenas forum on the use of suffer and sufferfest because they have been hijacked by the cycling community represent something they really aren't compared with, say, cancer sufferers.

I thought that as the elder statesmen of cycling here, the members might have some pet words or phrases in cycling, in particular, that irritate them at least or make the hairs stand up on their necks at most.

Another that annoys me is the passive-aggressive "lighten up" used just before going into infinite and derogatory detail as to why someone is incorrect.

Having said that, it's a fun thread, so don't get all pent up on what others think (well, not too much).
Old 01-07-13, 02:11 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have noticed it has changed but the OMG when used as "Oh My God" Please do not get me wrong but it seemed to be a phrase used by all the younger persons in the UK. I have noticed that it has been modified now to "Oh my Goodness" or "Oh my Word"

I am not fanatically religious but I did take exception to God's name being used in vain.

The other one I hate is "Just a 15 miler at 15mph" when they don't tell me how many feet of climbing is going to be involved.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-07-13, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"like"! Even adults, my wife included use it.
Example: I went like shopping today and like I found this really cute dress. But the lady at the cash register gave me like a hard time about my credit card being declined.
Old 01-07-13, 02:26 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
One of mine thats more a grammatical thing is people sticking the word so in front of any thread. It's not needed. So I rode finally rode a century is exactly the same as I finally rode a century.

Seems like there is also a need to magnify any accomplishment in peoples mind/egos. Hence words like suffer, sufferfest, epic, massive, and so on. Sometimes things are just ordinary. Doesn't mean they are not worth talking about, but every bowel movement is not an epic massive sufferfest!
Old 01-07-13, 02:33 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not certain how this fits into the thread but will add anyway...

I hate riding in a group and after grinding up some steep hill the people waiting (since I am usually last) will shout "GREAT JOB!" "YOU'RE AWESOME!" "LOOKING GOOD!" really none of that is true obviously since i am last up the friggin' hill. And do it once but not two, three, every climb good grief almighty! Also why do people yell "ALMOST THERE!" so? Doesn't make the climb easier... I rather someone yell "YOU SUCK!" that I get...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 01-07-13, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I too dislike for the relation of anything cycling related to "suffering". I posted it in the road forum a couple of years ago which caused an enormous S$@#storm with the posers there. "Word" and "owned" are my two dislikes at the present.
Old 01-07-13, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Rowan, I am not sure that "suffering" has been hijacked by cyclists. I seem to recall reading old cycling books where the term suffering was used in connection with the struggles faced by cyclists, especially in the TdF.

BTW, I have read about major wildfires in Australia. Hope all is OK with you.
Old 01-07-13, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pamestique

I hate riding in a group and after grinding up some steep hill the people waiting (since I am usually last) will shout "GREAT JOB!" "YOU'RE AWESOME!" "LOOKING GOOD!" really none of that is true obviously since i am last up the friggin' hill. And do it once but not two, three, every climb good grief almighty! Also why do people yell "ALMOST THERE!" so? Doesn't make the climb easier... I rather someone yell "YOU SUCK!" that I get...
That's a great post, Pam. And I defy anyone to say they haven't been on those climbs like you!
Old 01-07-13, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Rowan, I am not sure that "suffering" has been hijacked by cyclists. I seem to recall reading old cycling books where the term suffering was used in connection with the struggles faced by cyclists, especially in the TdF.

BTW, I have read about major wildfires in Australia. Hope all is OK with you.
We're still in Canada, so far away from it, and where we live is unaffected so far. But I am still waiting on news about my sister who was on the edge of the major fire in Tasmania -- it would be just my luck for her to suffer the same fate I did in 2009 when I was burnt out. Thanks for inquiring.
Old 01-07-13, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by JPFremin
Example: I went like shopping today and like I found this really cute dress. But the lady at the cash register gave me like a hard time about my credit card being declined.
The word "like" is one of the most flexible words in the English language.

I like riding my bike.

This thing is more like the other.

He is like his father.

The richness, and beauty, of the English language is how flexible it is and how it can grow.
Old 01-07-13, 02:48 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

My feelings exactly. I am a slow climber but I get there--possibly eventually but I get there. Everyone has to climb a hill at their own pace and the other thing I hate is someone ruining their ride just to support me. I would rather they shoot off up the hill and have a kip waiting for me to come up the darn thing than dropping back to keep me company.

But I do have my uses as a slow climber- That new rider that cannot pace himself has a marker to stay behind to make certain they will climb that 15% for a mile over the rutted trails.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-07-13, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rowan
We're still in Canada, so far away from it, and where we live is unaffected so far. But I am still waiting on news about my sister who was on the edge of the major fire in Tasmania -- it would be just my luck for her to suffer the same fate I did in 2009 when I was burnt out. Thanks for inquiring.
I live in Southern California; wildfires are sort of a way of life here. A couple of times they have come close to my place, but I have been spared.

I remember reading your posts about losing your home after the fires. That brought home the point that although we may live in different parts of the world we are still subject to the same forces of nature.

I hope your sister is OK.
Old 01-07-13, 02:54 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts

Awesome. lol.

I've never heard the word "sufferfest" used in any other context than cycling. I rather like the word.

A phrase I could do without: "Thank you SO much." (emphasis on the "so")

I dunno why ... I guess it has a ring to it like an airline ticket counterperson telling me to "have a nice day" after telling me my flight's been canceled.

Old 01-07-13, 02:56 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
"Word" and "owned" are my two dislikes at the present.
wut

Old 01-07-13, 03:00 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
My feelings exactly. I am a slow climber but I get there--possibly eventually but I get there. Everyone has to climb a hill at their own pace and the other thing I hate is someone ruining their ride just to support me. I would rather they shoot off up the hill and have a kip waiting for me to come up the darn thing than dropping back to keep me company.

My friends and I have this system... I am slow up and so everyone does their own ride I will eventually catch everyone on the downhill or once we hit the flat or at the top if that is the turnaround. I like to be by myself when climbing. My friend used to stay with me to give me encouragement but I explained I don't need the encouragement I need to be 20 years younger and lose 50 lbs!

On one of those rides where the group was shouting encouragements, my friend noted I was getting really irritated so she told the others (actually new riders but just physically strong since they were younger and lighter) that they will meet me at the turnaround. On the way back (we were mountain biking) you have to go down a steep gnarly rutty hill. One of those youngster took a spill. As I rode by (expertly without a care) I said "Ah good try; next time you'll get it!" I realized how snotty that sounded (especially since I was being snotty) so I stopped and walk back to help. I never say those things to anyone (except kids who are not yet jaded and whom can benefit from encouragement). I will just smile and nod - vibing hey feel your pain.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 01-07-13, 03:00 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Nit trying to be difficult, and God knows that I am the slowest cyclist going uphill in all of Oregon. But I understand those people who call out the encouragements are just trying to support those of us who are struggling (nee suffering) on hills. I know that there are times when I find their attempts at support as an annoyance, so what would you have them call out? Since I am usually just keeping to a comfortable pace that I know I can maintain, I don't really need encouragement, but don't really mind the attempt. So what would you all have them do to encourage and acknowledge the effort of climbing? Shut up and say nothing? A "way to go"? What can be said that does not seem condescending at the time?

This is meant as a sincere question. I have had times when I attempted to either help or encourage those who have ability issues and have inadvertently insulted them and I would rather die than do that so I am looking to improve my people skills.
Old 01-07-13, 03:05 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
wut
I kindof dislike all what I call "text" speech. I have a 63 year old friend that will email me (not text) and say "I will B @ 4Cnrs 2p dnt B lte. C U thn!" What? Half the time I have to write back and ask for some intrepretation... People are forgotten how to write proper sentences and all that - I am not a Grammer Nazi (OK I hate that too along with "Debbie Downer") but the texting thing.. let's leave that for 12 years olds OK?

Old 01-07-13, 03:05 PM

What really chaps my hide is when someone says to me, "Have a nice day".

Listen, dude, I've planned this day out in detail and having a nice day is not in the works. Stop telling me what to do. Bunch of control freaks. I'll have a nice damm day if I want to.

It really chaps my hide.

j/k

Old 01-07-13, 03:07 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
This is meant as a sincere question. I have had times when I attempted to either help or encourage those who have ability issues and have inadvertently insulted them and I would rather die than do that so I am looking to improve my people skills.
Just smile and wave... nothing needs to be said. Or I might say something like "tough hill huh?". Although again OK to shout out to kids... old people know exactly how bad or good they are doing... no need to remind them.

Old 01-07-13, 03:30 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I limit my use of the word "Sufferfest" to the company by that name that makes training videos for cycling.

It's probably far too late to complain about this, but I find the word "cool" terribly overused. While a candy-apple red 1960s Corvette may be cool, a tickler system to pay one's monthly bills on time is not. And I'm not fond of its usage in this context: "Do you want to ride 25 miles today?" A: "I'm cool with that."

In contrast, my nine year-old son has started saying "far out" for things he likes. (He didn't hear that from me.) I think that's kind of cool.
Old 01-07-13, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
wut
i'm jiggy with that
Old 01-07-13, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by jdon
i'm jiggy with that
feel

Old 01-07-13, 03:54 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 19 Posts
I guess what annoys me most about the whole "suffer" thing is:
If you're suffering, then STFU and stop what you're doing.
OTOH, if you're in pain, over-exerted, taxed to the max, overladen with lactic acid, and you're doing something you love... YOU are NOT "suffering", you are "enjoying."

Last edited by shadoman; 01-07-13 at 03:54 PM. Reason: I spel bad.
Old 01-07-13, 04:39 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JPFremin
I'm much more annoyed when "like" is used as a synonym for "said." Same thing with "I/he/she/it's all." Example:

"Lance was like, 'no way I doped,' and Tyler was all, 'Dude, I watched you!'"
Old 01-07-13, 04:42 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"I will B @ 4Cnrs 2p dnt B lte. C U thn!"
Sounds like your friend made an appointment to urinate with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.