Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Uh Oh! I should not have eaten that!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-13, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts

Yeah, I'm being a bit cheeky here starting a thread here that's similar to what's in the Clydes and Athenas forum. But it might help keep the winter blues at bay.

There are all sorts of things we are tempted by, put into our stomachs, and think maybe that wasn't a good idea, even right afterwards

So what are some of the things -- good and bad -- you have second thoughts about?
Old 01-12-13, 06:26 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Oooo good thread!!

I made some awesome potato salad today to go with our sandwiches. I used the red skinned gold mini potatoes. I had more than I should have. I was actually in a bit of a food coma for a couple of hours....
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-12-13, 07:14 PM

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I can eat just about anything, but I can get squeamish if I eat too much. I have to stop as soon as I get the "full" signal from my tummy.
Old 01-12-13, 07:18 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Pretzels. A life-long love.

Fruit is a good substitute for sugary sweets. But there ain't a good substitute for things crunchy and salty.

Old 01-12-13, 07:28 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Not gonna do that Bar, wouldn't be the prudent thing to do..............., jeese, I channel GHW Bush and I now eat some broccoli, not that I enjoy that much.

Besides, it is life or death for me to go on a binge of "things not on the list" to a large degree and a small bit of surrender or rationalization leads to the bigger ones. Carry on, please.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-13-13, 01:13 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
On our big ride and our backup was not at the 35 mile checkpoint. We were expecting water-energy drink and food for the next 30 miles so were down a bit. One of the other teams filled the bottles- then put their energy drink in the refills for the ride and gave us a couple of Power bars. Maxim energy drink affects my stomach-as I found out later- and does not taste good and the powerbars have the constituency and taste of cardboard. The only good thing about them is that you have to drink plenty of water to get it down the throat and out of the mouth.

Never touched Maxim or power bars since.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-13-13, 05:20 AM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
LOL Actually I find that if I spend the day on the bike - it really doesn't matter what I eat - nothing sticks snyway! Which is a good thing because there are just too many 'pit-stops' that can be schedualed into a lot of the local routes and commutes.

A fruit, yogurt and granola parfait from the IGA, maybe a blueberry muffin and coffee at the ProviSoir, sushi plates with pickled ginger and wasabi at a couple spots, some of the best fish and chips on the market from a little restaurant in Senneville, the Ben and Jerrys ice-cream parlors scattered around the city and the Rockaberry coffeshops that have spring up around the city. Best apple pie I've ever had! Wait! There's still that strawberry cheesecake at Chenoys that takes two people to finish!

Yeah - some days ya gotta make choices - life can be tough sometimes ....
Old 01-13-13, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Chocolate-chocolate chip gelato.

My Kryptonite.
Old 01-13-13, 06:34 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Chocolate-chocolate chip gelato.

My Kryptonite.
+3 Heck, milk chocolate in any form. For decades I ate about 1/2 pound a day. Now zero.
Old 01-13-13, 06:43 AM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
STOP drinking Soda's, Coke, Pepsi, Mountain dew EWwww, etc

Those things Rot your teeth out and It takes about a month for all the Coke/pepsi syrup to leave your system.

Chocolate Is good for you btw.
Old 01-13-13, 10:27 AM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am so focused on sticking to a heathy diet that I don't worry about the infrequent times I allow myself to stray. For instance, I try not to eat cheese too often due to its high saturated fat content, but over this past holiday season I allowed myself to enjoy some wine and cheese a couple of times without fretting about it. Similarly, I'll enjoy some low(er)-fat Ben & Jerry's frozen yogurt a couple of times during the hot summer months, but try not to eat ice cream or frozen yogurt much the rest of the year. This strategy seems to be working; I had my annual physical exam the week before Christmas, and I was ecstatic to learn the results of my lipid profile.
Old 01-13-13, 10:32 AM

Bikes: Apollo Revival Mountain Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oranges, they good and healthy but if I have too many I get really bad coldsores
Old 01-13-13, 12:57 PM

Choc chip cookies, home made and kept in the freezer. Every one that I've had in the past week has kept those scales from showing a lower figure.
Old 01-13-13, 01:08 PM
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Two deadly combinations...

One time I cooked a bunch of bacon, devoured it and washed it all down with most of a pitcher of grape Kool-Aid. Result= Grape Bacon burps for the next 9-10 hours. Not fun.

Another time I ate a bag of Nacho Doritos and washed it down with a quart of chocolate milk. Result = severe gastric disturbances.

Both of these incidences were long long ago and I really am more careful now.
Old 01-13-13, 02:07 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
beer, pizza, Ben and Gerry's Karmel Sutra, french fries, Angus cheese burgers, and too much pie (without the comensurate rides).
Old 01-13-13, 02:09 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Anything with wheat.

Since I went on a low carb diet that excludes wheat and anything processed with it, I have found I cannot tolerate it.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 01-13-13 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-13-13, 04:10 PM

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's quantity, not quality that gets me. Pie and icecream go well together, but...
when I break down and buy a 9 inch pie at the local bakery I'll eat the whole thing in an afternoon. Since I know I'm doomed, I only cut it in quarters. Then, if I'm really desperate, a couple quarts of ice cream to go along with it balance my nutrition. Pie crust = carbohydrates, pie filling = servings of fruit, icecream = serving of dairy.

If I'm disciplined, I only do this 3 or 4 times per year.
Old 01-13-13, 04:58 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by gitarzan
Grape Bacon
I think I just found a good name for my son's rock band.

Old 01-13-13, 05:21 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
My downfall used to be chips and salsa - I could consume a large bag in two night's snacking. Now I limit myself now to just a few chips here and there.

There are lots of foods that I love that I have either cut out entirely or have cut down on severely. Genoa salami and bratwursts, for example. And all kinds of potato chips.
Old 01-13-13, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by skilsaw
It's quantity, not quality that gets me. Pie and icecream go well together, but...
when I break down and buy a 9 inch pie at the local bakery I'll eat the whole thing in an afternoon. Since I know I'm doomed, I only cut it in quarters. Then, if I'm really desperate, a couple quarts of ice cream to go along with it balance my nutrition. Pie crust = carbohydrates, pie filling = servings of fruit, icecream = serving of dairy.

If I'm disciplined, I only do this 3 or 4 times per year
Usually after a randonnee of a decent length. That's when my consumption goes way up... including a whole pie and ice cream!
Old 01-13-13, 06:04 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Reading all this makes me want to detox again. Blehhh.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-13-13, 06:04 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
LOL Actually I find that if I spend the day on the bike - it really doesn't matter what I eat - nothing sticks snyway! Which is a good thing because there are just too many 'pit-stops' that can be schedualed into a lot of the local routes and commutes.

A fruit, yogurt and granola parfait from the IGA, maybe a blueberry muffin and coffee at the ProviSoir, sushi plates with pickled ginger and wasabi at a couple spots, some of the best fish and chips on the market from a little restaurant in Senneville, the Ben and Jerrys ice-cream parlors scattered around the city and the Rockaberry coffeshops that have spring up around the city. Best apple pie I've ever had! Wait! There's still that strawberry cheesecake at Chenoys that takes two people to finish!

Yeah - some days ya gotta make choices - life can be tough sometimes ....
Sounds like Iwould like biking in Montreal!
Old 01-13-13, 06:07 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I chugged down a pint of ice cold chocolate milk mid ride one day and suffered badly all the way home. Never again.

Seems my body is very happy with chocolate milk after a ride, but doesn't like it if I have to resume exercise after.
Old 01-13-13, 09:18 PM

I should have picked between the date slice and the Nanaimo bar, not had both of them. The scales won't be happy tomorrow morning, but while I feel guilty, I'm happy right now.
Old 01-14-13, 06:15 AM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Bacon, Eggs, Beer, n beans...

Spend the weekend eating that to piss off your co-workers on monday XD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.