Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Isn't it ironic?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Isn't it ironic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-13, 11:06 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Isn't it ironic?

When I was younger I would have killed for some of the top end bikes I saw in shops but couldn't afford. Now that I've retired and can afford an expensive bike I have absolutely no wish for one. I look round the local dealers but they just leave me cold ( although I admit to seeing some beautiful Colnagos and Pinarellos at the 2012 UK Bike Show, but they were too pretty to ride)

I enjoy looking for old, good quality bikes and parts that I can renovate, swap kit around and get running as good as new.

I've got nothing against new, expensive bikes, in fact I get to ride quite a few when I service and repair bikes for friends, but I don't get the same feeling of ownership as when I've built a bike up. Possibly that's a legacy of my upbringing where money was in short supply, or it may be that I'm just tight.

Perhaps it's because I'm not that good a cyclist and the bike wouldn't change that, or because I don't ride to compete with anyone else but myself.

Anyway, if I had a new bike I'd have to smarten myself up and it's far too late for that.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 01-19-13 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-18-13, 11:12 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
It may be ironic, but it sounds damn familiar. I'm perfectly happy with the bikes I have and also got a kick of building one up for myself.

Or maybe it's this. If I had a $10,000 uberbike, that would be one less excuse for being slower than everyone else.

Old 01-18-13, 11:33 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Several years ago I was down to Newport, Rhode Island to see the start of the Classic Yacht Regatta with a sailing friend. We first walked the waterfront before the race looking at these fine yachts from another era. Most were upwards of 40 feet and as much as 70 feet. All are owned by wealthy individuals and lovingly maintained with brightwork beautifully varnished and brass or bronze hardware highly polished. A few hours later, as the race got under way, it was thrilling to see how these vessels moved through the water. First, they have presence. You would not think something inanimate would have presence but they did. Of special interest was Dorade, a yacht designed by Sparkman and Stevens in the 1930s and which raced in numerous offshore and transatlantic events. It is still very fast and goes through the water with grace and elegance.

Almost the same things can be said of classic bikes, classic aircraft, (it still gladdens the heart to see and old Steerman lumbering through the air) or classic cars. For some reason, we are not able today to build into our toys the same timeless beauty and I don't think it is merely economic limitations.
Old 01-18-13, 12:04 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Maybe you could start a fund where you buy expensive bikes for those not as well off.

I'd like a Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0. Don't sweat the pedals. I'll use my own.

Old 01-18-13, 12:06 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
When I was younger I would have killed for some of the top end bikes I saw in shops but couldn't afford.
Good to see you're from Cardiff! My wife and I got to cycle around Cardiff when we were on holiday in Wales last summer; absolutely beautiful area and it makes the area where we live look like a desert by comparison.

Regarding top-end bikes, I would like to think that I wouldn't have killed for them (when I was younger . . . I wasn't that aggressive) but I did really want to own them!

Working in a bike shop in the early 80's I did get a great deal on a used Masi Gran Criterium ('75), so for me, that was a "top-end" bike for that era. I put thousands and thousands of miles on that Masi, and I still have it, albeit as a fixed gear bike.

And while I do have an almost top-end bike (GURU Photon w/SRAM Red) I'm still slower than Vic (Biker395), even when he's riding his Schwinn and not his uber-light Scott.

Ah well, it's all fun, and I do enjoy putting together the odd bike from parts (sometimes very odd!), but I don't lust for a Pinerello or a Colnago.

Now when I was young, I did want to own a Corvette someday, but that kind of wore off when I realized how BIG they are! I'm very happy with my (little) MX-5 Miata now! And that is ironic!

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 01-18-13 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-18-13, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
When I was younger I would have killed for some of the top end bikes I saw in shops but couldn't afford. Now that I've retired and can easily afford an expensive bike I have absolutely no wish for one.
Same here.

I can also say that I feel the same about cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, and just about anything else. Luckily, my wife is in full agreement with this.

Just don't have the need, or desire, for "top end" anything these days. Might also have something to do with the fact that I, at this age, am more understanding of the maintenance and storage requirements needed for such items.

A case in point was back in '05 when my wife told me how much she liked the looks of Ford's then new "retro-Mustang" (she loved her brand new 1990 Nissan 240 SX coupe back in the day). She even went as far as test driving the Mustang, both V6 and V8 versions (she really like both).

When it was all said and done, I asked her if she wanted to buy one of the Mustangs, and she said "no, I had my day in my 240."

I knew their was a good reason (or two) for asking her to marry me...

Last edited by FMB42; 01-18-13 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-18-13, 12:31 PM
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi, having some kind of innate love for a lot of different kinds of technology, my passion for bicycles has not faded over these many years. I still have bike lust that ranges from vintage to carbon everything. I ride almost everything I own but I also believe that bicycles can serve as artistic objects. I fantasize about creating a bike museum so that new enthusiasts can see the history of all types of bicycles.

I am definitely trying to re-engage with my cycling roots that started when a friend and I rode about 30 miles round trip from our homes (we were neighbors) to the Fish Hatchery on Long Island. It was during the summer after 5th grade and we rode single speed, coaster brake bikes and it was an all-day affair that almost killed me. Now I have a couple of bikes that I generally ride in street clothes or non-spandex bike clothing so I can ride them as slowly as I want.

BTW, I've written this more than once, if you can't ride fast, look fast. If you want a high end "über" bike, don't worry about how fast you can ride it and ignore the naysayers. Just enjoy it because you've earned it.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 01-18-13, 12:40 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cleave
I am definitely trying to re-engage with my cycling roots that started when a friend and I rode about 30 miles round trip from our homes (we were neighbors) to the Fish Hatchery on Long Island. It was during the summer after 5th grade and we rode single speed, coaster brake bikes and it was an all-day affair that almost killed me. Now I have a couple of bikes that I generally ride in street clothes or non-spandex bike clothing so I can ride them as slowly as I want.

OT -- But today your parents wouldn't let you go 30 feet much less 30 miles without an armed guard to ward off the kidnappers and molesters that somehow got born between then and now.

But, to the OP: I do the same and enjoy the same with older computers. I would love to do that with bikes but my skill and knowledge are not there (yet!).
Old 01-18-13, 12:41 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by FMB42
Same here.

I can also say that I feel the same about cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, and just about anything else. Luckily, my wife is in full agreement with this.

Just don't have the need, or desire, for "top end" anything these days. Might also have something to do with the fact that I, at this age, am more understanding of the maintenance and storage requirements needed for such items.

A case in point was back in '05 when my wife told me how much she liked the looks of Ford's then new "retro-Mustang" (she loved her brand new 1990 Nissan 240 SX coupe back in the day). She even went as far as test driving the Mustang, both V6 and V8 versions (she really like both).

When it was all said and done, I asked her if she wanted to buy one of the Mustangs, and she said "no, I had my day in my 240."

I knew their was a good reason (or two) for asking her to marry me...
Used to have a 240SX too. Bright red fastback. Fun car .... before I crashed it!

I dunno. I've found that a lot of the desire for something comes from the fact that for whatever reason, I can't have it. As soon as I realize that I can have it, I start asking myself whether I really want it. And for me, the answer is usually ... nah.

I dunno what it is. Used to surf a lot before I moved to the beach. Used to ski a lot before we bought a place in the mountains. Used to bike a lot before ... before ... well, I still do that.

Old 01-18-13, 12:48 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
I have to weigh in on my preference on classic diamond frame bike. Modern CF short seat tube design looks like a toy to me. Bikes of the 50-80s look like serious cycling equipment to me. Probably has something to do with what I grew up loving. But then again, I don't have the same attachment to 40-36 or 32 spoke wheels, mostly just frame design and set up. BAck to my rocker now.
Old 01-18-13, 01:16 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
What I find Ironic, is in the Hoopla about PEDs , that Amgen, sponsor of the Tour of California
is the Manufacturer of One of them Them .. EPO.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-21-13 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-18-13, 01:54 PM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
The, 'Look at me, I got money, I'm better than you' people are out there, no big deal, not that many of them.

I wanted a $2,500 Tour Easy recumbent for quite some time, I made due with a $500 EZ-1 and loved it....
Few months back I found my Tour Easy, like new, garage queen, on fresh original tires,,,,,$1,000
I doubt the bike had 50 miles on it,,prolly 10. It had a few scratches,,AWWwwww I was so hurt,,,LOL
I jumped at the deal and love the bike just like it was new. Saved my self $1500.

Saved $3,000 when I bought a 1 year old Harley that was in show room condition.
Saved $7,000 when I bought a 18 month old Mustang pony car, again in New condition. The new car smell was gone AWwww I was so hurt...LOL

Lets see,,,thats what,,,$11,500 saved on vehicles n toys.

Here Endeth The Lesson.
Old 01-18-13, 02:27 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Good to see you're from Cardiff! My wife and I got to cycle around Cardiff when we were on holiday in Wales last summer; absolutely beautiful area and it makes the area where we live look like a desert by comparison.

Rick / OCRR
Glad you liked it - you must have been here the week we had a summer! Did you cycle the Taff Trail or the Brecon Beacons? If so you may have seen me - I was the scruffy bloke on the old bike going slowly.

GeorgeBMac: if you can take apart & rebuild a computer you'll have no trouble with a bike - it's much simpler.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 01-18-13 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-18-13, 04:11 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
No matter how exotic or cool a new bike may be, next year there will be a new model that's even cooler or more exotic in some way.
Old 01-18-13, 04:55 PM
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
No matter how exotic or cool a new bike may be, next year there will be a new model that's even cooler or more exotic in some way.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 01-18-13, 05:58 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
It is the bike not the material or the era that makes a difference to me. A classic steel bike has to be more than just old it has to have something special about it. I like my Tarmac but I have always liked the style of the sweep of the top tube on the Specialized. I have a 91 Klein that I am very happy with but for a whole different reason. I don't like downtube shifters and I don't like 5,6 or 7 speed cassettes/Freewheels. So if I were to get a steel bike it would have to have a 130mm spread in the rear to take a modern wheel. I have been living with a Dura Ace 7400 because the Quantum came with 7400 Dura Ace front to rear, stem to crankset and seat tube. However I have a whole shifter set for SRAM with derailleurs and am sorely tempted to replace the 8 speed with a 10 speed set. Any steel bike I would get would have to be something like a Waterford with a modern shifter and gearset. I always thought old cars were cool but they were even better with modern brakes, suspension and engine.

I know there are purests that love their old bikes but there is also a reason that the new bikes evolved and changed over the years. Some of that evolution has made the bik better even if some might not consider them classic. If someone were to find and restore my old Vicount Aerospace Pro and set it side by side with my Klein and say I had t pick one but only one it would be the Klein. Between the Klein and a Waterford? I would have to sleep on it. Between the Waterford and the Tarmac, it would be the Tarmac.

Different strokes as they say.
Old 01-18-13, 06:44 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Several years ago I was down to Newport, Rhode Island to see the start of the Classic Yacht Regatta with a sailing friend. We first walked the waterfront before the race looking at these fine yachts from another era. Most were upwards of 40 feet and as much as 70 feet. All are owned by wealthy individuals and lovingly maintained with brightwork beautifully varnished and brass or bronze hardware highly polished. A few hours later, as the race got under way, it was thrilling to see how these vessels moved through the water. First, they have presence. You would not think something inanimate would have presence but they did. Of special interest was Dorade, a yacht designed by Sparkman and Stevens in the 1930s and which raced in numerous offshore and transatlantic events. It is still very fast and goes through the water with grace and elegance.

Almost the same things can be said of classic bikes, classic aircraft, (it still gladdens the heart to see and old Steerman lumbering through the air) or classic cars. For some reason, we are not able today to build into our toys the same timeless beauty and I don't think it is merely economic limitations.
I agree with everything you said. But, I have sanded and varnished enough wooden Beetle cat parts for two lifetimes. No more.
I wandered by the place Beetle cats are made in Westport on a bike ride a few times.

My father grew up in Bristol highlands and they all had some kind of wooden sailboat. Lots of Beetle cat racing. The house and the moorings are still there. Not far from the tennis court near the bike path. Have you been in the museum where the Hereshoff shipyard was?
Old 01-18-13, 08:08 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've said to myself "When I turn 60 (next year), I'll buy myself a bike that weighs only 15 pounds" (my current bike weighs about 22.). But I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen.
Old 01-18-13, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
From a technological standpoint, cars today are much better than most that came off the line in the 60s and 70s. But I can't think of any car made after the 70s that will ever be considered a classic.

I'd like to try a high end carbon bike just to see how it rides, but I have no desire to own one. They just aren't anywhere near as attractive to my eye.
Old 01-18-13, 08:41 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Q: How many 50+ cyclists does it take to change a light bulb?

A: 753. One to do the actual changing, and 752 to post rants about how much better old light bulbs were.
Old 01-18-13, 08:59 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
my attitude towards bikes really hasn't changed much. When I was in college I broke my racing bike and I could have gotten what we used to call a "superbike" for $1500, pretty much top of the line. But I had worked for Trek and had a Campagnolo Super Record set in a box, and got a frame that retailed for about half of what the fancier bikes went for. Worked for me. I really don't think I want to talk my wife into the equivalent top of the line bike now, I'd feel stupid for spending that much when I can get by on something much cheaper.

I have no doubt I would enjoy a carbon frame, but I'm not sure how much, and my experience is that the joy of having a light bike really disappears pretty quickly and becomes the new normal
Old 01-19-13, 06:56 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Originally Posted by cccorlew

A: 753. One to do the actual changing, and 752 to post rants about how much better old light bulbs were.
Not my intention to start yet another debate on the relative merits of old and modern bikes as there's little or no doubt that the best modern bikes are lighter and faster than old bikes - it would be strange if they weren't given the ongoing improvements in technology.

My post was about the pleasure that I get from re-building old bikes and riding them, and the fact that I doubt whether I'd get enough or any extra benefit or pleasure from spending £5k as opposed to £200. I'd much rather spend that extra money on a decent holiday or two.

I'm sure I could get from A to B five minutes faster, but I'm in no hurry. If I was a racer then it would be different, I'd be going modern.
Old 01-19-13, 07:01 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts

*snort* (wipes coffee off the iPad)

Old 01-19-13, 07:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's funny. True, but very funny nonetheless.

Here's another thing that I tend to do:

I'll buy a new (or newer) bicycle, car, truck, motorcycle, computer, stereo, shop or yard tool, etc, to replace an older item.

I then, almost without fail, spend time and/or money "fixing up" the old item to as good or better condition than what I had kept it in for years.

This "fixing up" almost always includes a full detail or cleaning at the least, and in some cases new brakes, tires, seat covers, cables, battery, and muffler, etc, etc.
Old 01-19-13, 08:05 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I click on the threads about LA and close them immediately so they don't keep showing as new(I know. I could just use the forum ability to mark all posts as read.). Don't waste my time reading them--not worth my time. I'd rather be cycling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.