Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   What happens if you exceed your (theoretical) maximum heart rate (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/868174-what-happens-if-you-exceed-your-theoretical-maximum-heart-rate.html)

lookinUp 01-18-13 03:31 PM

What happens if you exceed your (theoretical) maximum heart rate

Not looking for medical advice, but just curious about the maximum heart rate. My calculated max rate should be 148 (I'm old, that's why it is low), however, on a ride a few days ago, I was around 156 according to my Garmin 500 and heart rate monitor.

So here's my question. Say you're reached your maximum HR - what happens if you keep on pedaling. Do you finally run out of breath? Do the legs finally give out? What physical issue will finally cause you to quit? (other than passing out :lol:)

There is a hill that I can barely climb that I know will push my heart rate about as high as it can possibly go. I haven't worn the heart rate monitor on it yet, but will be curious how high the HR ends up being. I can make it over this hill, but wondered what happens if I tackle an even steeper/longer hill.

Don in Austin 01-18-13 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by lookinUp (Post 15171849)
Not looking for medical advice, but just curious about the maximum heart rate. My calculated max rate should be 148 (I'm old, that's why it is low), however, on a ride a few days ago, I was around 156 according to my Garmin 500 and heart rate monitor.

So here's my question. Say you're reached your maximum HR - what happens if you keep on pedaling. Do you finally run out of breath? Do the legs finally give out? What physical issue will finally cause you to quit? (other than passing out :lol:)

There is a hill that I can barely climb that I know will push my heart rate about as high as it can possibly go. I haven't worn the heart rate monitor on it yet, but will be curious how high the HR ends up being. I can make it over this hill, but wondered what happens if I tackle an even steeper/longer hill.

Here's what will happen: you will be out of breath, heart pounding, maybe dizzy. That happens when you exercise real hard. The theoretical maximum heart rate formula is thoroughly discredited. Occasionally someone will defend it as a viable average, but even that is very dubious. Unless you have a specific heart condition or other problem, most medical authorities would tell you to go for it. I am 66 and have frequently exceeded my "maximum" heart rate and plan to continue doing so. Didn't bother my cardiologist one bit when I went for a checkup. he said, "Great, no need to give you a stress test!" Doesn't bother my personal trainer, either.

Don in Austin

stapfam 01-18-13 04:00 PM

Theoretical is vague but actual can cause a problem. I had my max determined by a stress test many years ago and it was 165. At that I was shaking like a Leaf- lost energy very quickly and could barely breath. This was under medical supervision a year after a bypass and the medic knew I was ready to pass out and stopped me just before I did.

For a few years after this I could exceed my max but at 172 it was get off the bike and lie down before I fall down time.

But like all else- use it or lose it. I struggle to get to 150 now and it is my brain that tells me to slow down. Bit more training and I should be able to see 160 again but I won't be going near my max as often as I used to. Thank goodness-Scary.

t4mv 01-18-13 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 15171956)
For a few years after this I could exceed my max but at 172 it was get off the bike and lie down before I fall down time.

:)
I'm glad I wasn't the only one in that boat. Back when I was 30something, I was messing with an HRM and had done the basic calculation for my (then) max HR, which I think was in the high 190somethings. So I was hoofing it up a hill and watched the HR climb til it cleared the threshold and it started to blink (it's programmable). So I went at almost-full gas for a bit until the hill gradient backed off a bit and I dialed it back a bit, but I guess it was warm enough that I started getting the I-don't-feel-so-good feeling whereupon I decided to just stop, even though I knew what was going to happen. Sure enough, the blood rushed from the head (where does it all go?) and I knew I had to lie down on the road, head below feet to get that Ahhhhh feeling. It was all worth it because shortly thereafter a guy driving the other way stopped and asked if I was OK. :D

Trek51 01-18-13 04:53 PM

Sorry to disagree but if you can get your heart rate up to 172 then 165 is not your maximum, 172 is.

Dudelsack 01-18-13 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by jmehalick (Post 15172171)
Sorry to disagree but if you can get your heart rate up to 172 then 165 is not your maximum, 172 is.

This.

When I hit max rate, I contemplate blowing chow.

Velognome 01-18-13 04:59 PM

You don't explode?

GeorgeBMac 01-18-13 05:03 PM

Sorry, this is more medical but: when your heart beats really rapidly then it is not able to get the ventricles completely filled with blood before the next beat -- so the result is decreased perfusion.

billydonn 01-18-13 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 15172186)
This.

This

Mobile 155 01-18-13 05:15 PM

In my case it is simple. 5 years ago I Followed the formula and figured my Max HR was 163. But after a year or two a climbing sprint would push me to 172 so I figured that was my max HR. There are times today when I have pushed it to 181 and now consider that my max HR. But this time I am pretty sure 181-182 is my max HR because 183 causes me to get off the bike a hurl chunks. So my non medical opinion is your max HR is just below your have to stop and hurl point.

Wil Davis 01-18-13 05:24 PM

Be warned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXH_12QWWg8

:rolleyes:

- Wil

Cougrrcj 01-18-13 05:38 PM

Back in my youth (high school swim team), we'd check our heart rates, and mine routinely went over 230! According to these 'max rate' calculators, I should have been dead of a heart attack 37 years ago!

Today (well yesterday actually at the Dr's office) my BP was 118/73 and a resting pulse rate of 58. I guess I'll be around a while longer!

mrt2you 01-18-13 05:50 PM

51yo 5' 10" 220lbs i have been wearing a chest strap heart rate monitor for the last 3 years, cateye V3 wireless.
when i get to 160 and keep it there for over 15 min my toes start to go numb.
above 170 my fingers start to go numb.
180 and above i get a massive head ache.
if i slow down to drop my HR to 140 and below the numbness goes away.

europa 01-18-13 07:27 PM

I no longer go to my max ... probably cowardice and laziness come into the equation :innocent:

My son is a semi-pro soccer player and is training to be a coach. We have lots of interesting discussions trying to work out where my stupid body does and doesn't fit in with his experience and what he's learning. My understanding is that as your body needs more fuel, the heart pumps harder to supply it. Typically, you'll bury yourself in the anaerobic zone and then start to climb out of it. You do however, reach a point where your heart can't keep up the supply and at this point, your heart rate will suddenly increase. THAT's the time to stop because you aren't gaining anything going on.

Now, a serious question that I haven't put to my boy ... or my fiancee ( who's a nurse) on the grounds that I already give them enough reason to worry. After burying myself in the anaerobic zone for a bit, it's not unusual for my skin to develop a tingly feeling. Obviously, it's the blood feeding my muscles, not my skin however, should I be treating this as another warning and stop?

Dan Burkhart 01-18-13 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac (Post 15172202)
Sorry, this is more medical but: when your heart beats really rapidly then it is not able to get the ventricles completely filled with blood before the next beat -- so the result is decreased perfusion.

In fluid dynamics, I think they call that cavitation.

downtube42 01-18-13 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 15172740)

In diesel engines, cavitation eats through your cylinder walls. :twitchy:

Dan Burkhart 01-18-13 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by downtube42 (Post 15172767)
In diesel engines, cavitation eats through your cylinder walls. :twitchy:

Yes it does. That's why they put a de-aeration line there.

wphamilton 01-18-13 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by lookinUp (Post 15171849)
... on a ride a few days ago, I was around 156 ...So here's my question. Say you're reached your maximum HR - what happens if you keep on pedaling. Do you finally run out of breath?...

Snipped for brevity.

The formula (any formula) is untrustworthy for any individual's maximum heart rate. It is often higher or lower, sometimes considerably so.

If you exceed you maximum heart rate, that's a heart attack. But if you reach your max and keep pedaling, you'll pedal more slowly gasping for air and might start feeling faint.

k7baixo 01-18-13 08:14 PM

At 175, I found that i was getting a little dizzy. That was enough to send me to a cardiologist and endure a battery of tests that ultimately confirmed that I'm in great shape. The only warning was to not push myself so hard ie stay below 165-170. It was worth it to learn that I'm healthy considering that arteriosclerosis and heart disease runs rampant in my family. I have neither and I attribute it all to exercise and cycling.

OldsCOOL 01-18-13 09:29 PM

Last summer my pulse rate hit 186 on a few occasions. At 55yrs of age it isnt difficult to see I'm a few over the advertised. Heat can send the pulse up and that will get me off the quickly looking for shade and a faucet to drench my head. Otherwise, in a hill sprint (strava) when 186bpm hits I'm at the top of the hill due to pacing. However, breathing is far too heavy to continue and I'm pulling over. I dont exceed 186.

BikeWNC 01-18-13 10:14 PM

My theoretical max HR is below my LT HR. lol My calculated max HR is 165, my actual max from observation is 192. That's a pretty big difference.

tsl 01-18-13 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 15172740)

I thought having a cavitation was talking with Dick Cavett.

TacomaSailor 01-19-13 01:15 AM

My AGE related calculated max HR is 162 (Karvonen) - I comfortably ride at 162 for long climbs in cool weather

Some days I can ride at 175 for extended periods

I have had many treadmill stress tests in the last 25 years - my first cardiologist was a very serious and fast runner who I knew from trail runs. He always told me that a heart that is used to stress will not have any problem with more stress.

My current cardiologist told me after my last stress test that I might die from many things but over revving my heart would never be one of them. He assured me that a heart that was used to working hard for long periods of time would not have any problem with working even harder.

They both told me my lungs and 02 intake would be the limiting factor for my heart rate. Eventually I would just not be able to breath enough to keep up with my heart.

Going on 66, over weight, out of breath, and I am still trying to see how fast my heart can beat - just keep pushing!

stapfam 01-19-13 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by jmehalick (Post 15172171)

1 year after a bypass and stress test showed max of 165. Bit of training and I could get to 165 without passing out. Perhaps my max had raised to 172 with training but at 165 I knew it and I had to have a very good reason to push myself that hard and beyond--but it can be done on very rare occasions.

Edit---COULD be done on rare occasions- I am nowhere near the 165 now but back in harder training to get near it again.

akohekohe 01-19-13 02:15 AM

You can't exceed your maximum heart rate but you can reach your minimum heart rate by trying to exceed your maximum heart rate.