Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

weight loss apps and devices?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-13, 12:28 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts

Like many, I have a new years resolution to lose a few pounds.

I downloaded the free MyFitnessPal and and enjoying it. It's not perfect, but the fact it lets me scan bar codes to ease entering data makes it all worthwhile.

I'm considering getting a Fitbit, a body monitoring device that sends to MyFitnessPal.com, and/or a digital wi-fi scale that also sends to MyFitnessPal.

I think the automatic stuff, and the geek factor would motivate me even more.

Anyone try these, use these, or have reports**********
Old 01-13-13, 12:48 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used fitday.com with some success. It lets you enter food and activities.

Unfortunately, it is not able to tell you not to eat that extra slice of pie.
Old 01-13-13, 05:37 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My bike is my app.
Old 01-13-13, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
My bike is my app.
Yep! This is what works for me too!

That and Michael Pollan's two rules for eating:
1. Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.
2. Don't eat anything that your great grandmother would not recognize as food.

Mostly following those two rules and putting 3k miles under my wheels I dropped about 20 pounds last year. Only about 10 pounds to go till I am firmly in the "normal weight" category.
Old 01-13-13, 06:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use fitbit, and really like it. It does a good job of tracking steps, stairs or elevation climbed and will synch automatically with your myfitnesspal. Both tools were integral components of my successful efforts to lose 60 pounds last year. I began in jan and by march I had lost enough to get back on the bike. I do wear fitbit while I am on the bike, it is fun to see the number of "floors" I have climbed on a ride in the Oakland hills.
Old 01-13-13, 06:53 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Thanks Dalamanda. My fitbit worry is that it won't record cycling properly. I use a Garmin 500 and manually add the numbers to MyFitnessPal. I try to pick a level so that my calories expended matches what Strava estimates. The MyFitnessPal numbers seem crazy high, about twice what Garmin/Strava think. I sure wish there was a link to Strava, or a way to upload my Garmin Edge data. But it's free, so what the heck.

Bikey Mikey,: Yeah, thanks for "My bike is my app." I did 8000 miles including three double centuries last year, so I guess my bike is my app too. Except is doesn't auto log all my efforts.
Old 01-13-13, 07:29 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR 1, Norco Challenger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started using my fitness pal in September, so far I have lost 28Ibs. I find it easy to use, and tracking what you eat is interesting. A side note a shot of Jameson Irish whiskey has only 34 calories more than a medium apple : )
I use a Garmin Edge 500 to track all my bike data.

Paul
Old 01-13-13, 08:06 PM
Erect member since 1953

a shot of Jameson Irish whiskey has only 34 calories more than a medium apple
Info I can use! Thanks!
Old 01-13-13, 08:09 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
No app use for the things you describe Curtis, the C'dale computer I have on my bike shows calories used per ride. Knowing what little I do about physiology I doubt that just inputting my weight and male/female, would be enough to accurately measure the calories burned. I could well be wrong but it just does not seem to be correct from what I remember long ago, in a university, far, far away in a physics class doing bomb calorimeter labs.

As long as I continue to drop weight at a safe rate and lab work is good it is enough for me and my feeble little brain.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-13-13, 09:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have garmin as well, and that is my primary tracking device for cycling rides. With the fitbit, I will usually go to the site after my ride and plug in the start time, duration and average pace ( from garmin) for the ride, and it gives a fair calorie count. It is I portent to remember that almost all devices seem to over count the calories. More than anything else though, fitbit is just one more tool to get me motivated and moving, whatever it takes to help lose weight is good! When I was in my weight management program (through kaiser) we learned that people who log their calorie count lose twice as much weight as those who don't - all other factors being the same. If you haven't figured it out yet, myfitnesspal has a great bar code featured where you can just point your cellphone camera at the items bar code and it will return the correct nutrition information.
Old 01-13-13, 09:23 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I don't think you need to spend a lot money on an app.

Just use this bad boy as a screensaver:

Old 01-14-13, 06:17 AM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Weight loss Aps,,,,Lol, Lools, buwhaha,,buwhahahahahahahahah.

You've got to be kidding me !!

Get off your rear end and move !
Old 01-14-13, 06:41 AM
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Hi,

You may get more feedback in the Clydes and Athenas forum.

Cheers,
Charles
Old 01-14-13, 07:52 AM
Erect member since 1953

Weight loss Aps,,,,Lol, Lools, buwhaha,,buwhahahahahahahahah.

You've got to be kidding me !!

Get off your rear end and move !
osco53 , Don't be an ass. 8000 miles last year, with 3 double centuries. 300 miles so far this year. I think I'm moving. It's 39 degrees and dark here and I'm about to ride to work. It's about the best way to track your meals and exercise. Apps.

cplager ,at 153 pounds I'm not sure the Clydes forum would want me mucking about in their area.
Old 01-14-13, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Curtis, I'm curious with a serious question. Have you found that the structure and/or support of devices such as aps serve to motivate, remind, or something else?
Old 01-14-13, 08:45 AM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
osco53 , Don't be an ass. 8000 miles last year, with 3 double centuries. 300 miles so far this year. I think I'm moving. It's 39 degrees and dark here and I'm about to ride to work. It's about the best way to track your meals and exercise. Apps.

cplager ,at 153 pounds I'm not sure the Clydes forum would want me mucking about in their area.
Yeah, that was funny.

Curtis, have you ever thought of a personal trainer or coach instead of an electronic device? Or even an internet training/coach?
Old 01-14-13, 01:55 PM
Erect member since 1953

NOS88 I find I really need structure. I'm 5'7". A number of years ago I started a new job, wasn't getting exercise and was eating comfort food all day. I hit 190. I was able to get to 150 using weight watchers and counting points, which is a lot of structure. Over the last semester I let myself get over stressed and eat too much of that darn comfort food again and bounced up to 160. Not too bad, but not great. Anyway, the reminding factor, the gold star factor, the geek factor all work for me with this app. I put the food in and watch the numbers, I put the exercise in and watch the numbers. I enter my weight and watch... well, you get the idea.

I started MyFitnessPal on Jan 1. I was down to 153 this morning. Having an easy way (and easy is important) to record food, weight and also having it calc in exercise is great for me. I don't know how much it will help long term, but so far it's really helping.

DiabloScott I'd love to have a coach, but it's pretty pricy, especially compared to MyFitnessPal which is free. And realistically, I will always be slow. I have zero athletic genes. I picked the wrong parents. Heck, if I could race even well enough to lose I'd do that instead of riding doubles. But if I win the lottery I'll buy a powertap and get a coach. Just so I can commute faster, and kick serious butt on the MUP.

Last edited by cccorlew; 01-14-13 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-14-13, 03:20 PM
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
As somebody under 45 in the 50's, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's o.k. Just don't repeat your weight and nobody will every know...
Old 01-14-13, 03:31 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do what works for you. Some need structure, a set program--others don't. What works for you is what should be done.
Old 01-14-13, 04:53 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Like many, I have a new years resolution to lose a few pounds.
Sounds like me Curtis! Over 8,000 miles and three doubles (Solvang, Grand Tour and Knoxville)! That "ap" got me down to 160 from 180.

Have to find another "ap" to kick off the last 5 lb. to my "goal" of 155.

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-15-13, 07:57 AM

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
I started Myfitnesspal January 1. My goal is to go from 165-150. I lost 7lbs in 2 weeks. I cut out the garbage, added more fruit and vegtables, and have been cycling like a madman. Very pleased so far.
Old 01-15-13, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
NOS88 I find I really need structure. I'm 5'7". A number of years ago I started a new job, wasn't getting exercise and was eating comfort food all day. I hit 190. I was able to get to 150 using weight watchers and counting points, which is a lot of structure. Over the last semester I let myself get over stressed and eat too much of that darn comfort food again and bounced up to 160. Not too bad, but not great. Anyway, the reminding factor, the gold star factor, the geek factor all work for me with this app. I put the food in and watch the numbers, I put the exercise in and watch the numbers. I enter my weight and watch... well, you get the idea.

I started MyFitnessPal on Jan 1. I was down to 153 this morning. Having an easy way (and easy is important) to record food, weight and also having it calc in exercise is great for me. I don't know how much it will help long term, but so far it's really helping.

DiabloScott I'd love to have a coach, but it's pretty pricy, especially compared to MyFitnessPal which is free. And realistically, I will always be slow. I have zero athletic genes. I picked the wrong parents. Heck, if I could race even well enough to lose I'd do that instead of riding doubles. But if I win the lottery I'll buy a powertap and get a coach. Just so I can commute faster, and kick serious butt on the MUP.
Thanks, Curtis. I appreciate the thoughtful response.
Old 01-15-13, 08:55 AM
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
Do what works for you. Some need structure, a set program--others don't. What works for you is what should be done.
+1

A friend of mine takes a picture of everything she eats. I kind of think that this means she has to pay for everything twice (i.e., when reviewing the pictures at night) and makes her think about everything a bit more.
Old 01-15-13, 09:40 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
I've used the calorie counter on about.com. It's free and has a lot of restaurant and prepared food in the database, which is really helpful. It also keeps track of more than just calories and weight ... it keeps track of other nutrients as well.

Now all I have to do is get back to using it again.

Old 01-15-13, 10:30 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used myfitnesspal off and on for a while now. Oddly enough, it seems I lose weight when I track, and gain it back when I don't :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.