Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   MRI: Partial hamstring tear (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/868806-mri-partial-hamstring-tear.html)

Yen 01-21-13 11:29 PM

MRI: Partial hamstring tear

I've been waiting for weeks to get an MRI to learn why I have various types bi-lateral hip pain. This began in November after a long (90-minute) vigorous walk. At that same time, I also began experiencing sharp pain whenever I raised my left knee against resistance on or off the bike (probably an irritation of the rectus femoris tendon) and sharp pain in the groin.

Today I got the MRI report: Partial tear of the LEFT hamstring. From what I've read so far, this sounds like a grade 2 tear.

I cannot walk long distances without pain in that area (base of the glutes), even a short distance to and from a store. I am seeing a doctor and doing numerous core exercises in addition to daily stretching of tight hip flexors. I am allowed to do anything that doesn't cause pain, but it's impossible to completely avoid any walking from point A to point B.

QUESTION: Has anyone fully recovered from a partial hamstring tear and resumed riding without problems? I am concerned this may be a long-term chronic problem.

In 2011 I had bi-lateral tennis elbow, and now this!!!

bruce19 01-22-13 03:33 AM

This may not apply to your situation because I was young at the time but.....I tore my hamstring pretty good playing football in college in the mid-60's. I've never had a problem (actually played another year of football) with it and especially not cycling.

B. Carfree 01-22-13 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by bruce19 (Post 15184451)
This may not apply to your situation because I was young at the time but.....I tore my hamstring pretty good playing football in college in the mid-60's. I've never had a problem (actually played another year of football) with it and especially not cycling.

Same here, except mine was playing high school basketball. The sheath ripped asunder and it still bulges when the muscle is flexed.

I never fully appreciated how quickly I healed when I was young. I sure miss that now. At least I've gotten better about not injuring myself as often as I've gotten, ahem, more experienced.

jdon 01-22-13 06:26 PM

Yes and it is a long road to recovery if you are trying to avoid surgery.

Yen 01-22-13 08:35 PM

Thank you for your replies.

Originally Posted by jdon (Post 15186977)
Yes and it is a long road to recovery if you are trying to avoid surgery.

Specifically, what things did you do to recover? I am not good at lying around the house so, fortunately, I am able to do my full core and arm exercise routine and standing doesn't bother it (meaning that cooking isn't a problem). Walking even a short distance irritates it so that eliminates even going to the store. Plan B: Discover what I CAN do, and do those things.

I would not have surgery unless absolutely necessary, which I doubt (it doesn't appear to be a full-thickness tear or avulsion). It's highly likely the right hamstring is torn as well since I have the same (but much worse) pain on that side, and a new MRI of the right side is already scheduled for next week.

qcpmsame 01-22-13 08:56 PM

Yen,
I don't have any experience or suggestions to offer you for advise, you have had some really bad luck with injuries lately. I hope that you can find some things you are able to do for activities to keep some fitness and keep from going stir crazy. I'll have you in my prayers for relief from the pain and for the doctors to find an answer for your questions and a plan for recovery to good health and activities you enjoy.

Bill

BikeWNC 01-22-13 09:18 PM

My previously torn hamstring was detected years later (decades) by getting an MRI of my lower back. I've had years of asymmetry and discomfort mostly from loss of disc space in L5-S1 and L4-L5 (no disc space actually). It really wasn't an issue that they could fix (hamstring) since it was long healed over, though scarred. Time puts wear and tear on the body. I just do what I can (exercise and rehab) and deal with it.

jdon 01-22-13 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 15187494)
Thank you for your replies.

Specifically, what things did you do to recover? I am not good at lying around the house so, fortunately, I am able to do my full core and arm exercise routine and standing doesn't bother it (meaning that cooking isn't a problem). Walking even a short distance irritates it so that eliminates even going to the store. Plan B: Discover what I CAN do, and do those things.

I would not have surgery unless absolutely necessary, which I doubt (it doesn't appear to be a full-thickness tear or avulsion). It's highly likely the right hamstring is torn as well since I have the same (but much worse) pain on that side, and a new MRI of the right side is already scheduled for next week.

I resorted to upper body and core exercises and included cardio using a hand bike at the gym. As for treatment, a combination of a walking cast, frequent elevation and ice packs, a lot of accupuncture with electro stimulation, laser to increase blood flow and Graston physio to breakdown scar tissue. This went on for a year, after which, I was able to ride pretty much normally. Good luck.

Yen 01-23-13 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by jdon (Post 15187731)
I resorted to upper body and core exercises and included cardio using a hand bike at the gym. As for treatment, a combination of a walking cast, frequent elevation and ice packs, a lot of accupuncture with electro stimulation, laser to increase blood flow and Graston physio to breakdown scar tissue. This went on for a year, after which, I was able to ride pretty much normally. Good luck.

Thank you.

Yen 01-23-13 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 15187578)
Yen,
I don't have any experience or suggestions to offer you for advise, you have had some really bad luck with injuries lately. I hope that you can find some things you are able to do for activities to keep some fitness and keep from going stir crazy. I'll have you in my prayers for relief from the pain and for the doctors to find an answer for your questions and a plan for recovery to good health and activities you enjoy.

Bill

Bill, thank you very much!

MinnMan 01-23-13 10:32 AM

Your symptoms sound very similar to things I've been dealing with for the last year+, but when I finally had an MRI, it turned out that there was no muscle tear, but rather, osteoarthritis. I wish you the best of luck with your recovery- being injured and sidelined just plain sucks.

Yen 01-23-13 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 15189174)
Your symptoms sound very similar to things I've been dealing with for the last year+, but when I finally had an MRI, it turned out that there was no muscle tear, but rather, osteoarthritis. I wish you the best of luck with your recovery- being injured and sidelined just plain sucks.

Yes it sure does! I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with a similar problem. My MRI and hip x-ray show no arthritis -- hip joints are clean as a whistle. This appears to be a bad case of biomechanical issues -- a weak core and shortened hip flexors/hamstrings after years at a desk job and lack of adequate exercise/stretching during that time. :(

qcpmsame 01-23-13 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 15189305)
...snip My MRI and hip x-ray show no arthritis -- hip joints are clean as a whistle. ...snip :(

That is really something to be glad about, Yen, one less major place to worry about for a bit!!!

Bill

Yen 01-25-13 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 15191060)
That is really something to be glad about, Yen, one less major place to worry about for a bit!!!

Bill

Yes! My doctor said he did a double-take to verify he was looking at my x-rays and not those of someone much younger. I am very thankful.