Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tumeric and pain

Old 01-28-13, 01:32 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Tumeric and pain

For my entire adult life I have been plagued with severe back pain. Originally came about from racing mountain bikes in my 20's. Suffered through it all and deal with it best I can. One year ago a guy from India told me about tumeric as a daily supplement. Have been taking a heaping teaspoon a day for a year now and must say it really works.

Went off road snow riding yesterday. The trail was greasy as the temps were in the high teens low twenties making it slippery out there. Went down hard 4 times and figured today would be a day of pain. Got the end of a 2inch stick jammed into my right thigh breaking the skin (broke the stick, too!).

Woke up this morning with no soreness in my bones or muscles. Only thing hurting is the injury from the stick. I feel great! At 53 years of age that is saying something after the hard hits from yesterday.

An additional benefit seems to be my immune system functioning much better. My wife, son, daughter all got the flu on Christmas break, but I did not. They also all have been fighting head and chest colds, but not me as of yet. Used to get sick at the drop of a hat, but since starting this tumeric thing, I have been very healthy. Also seems to curb my appetite a bit.

Thought you all would like to know.
Old 01-28-13, 03:35 PM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife is on pharmacologic doses of tumeric. I'm interested to see if it helps her any. It has received favorable press in the medical literature, but time will tell if it pans out. If it does, I'll probably take it myself.
Old 01-28-13, 03:44 PM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tumeric on webmd: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...tName=TURMERIC
Old 01-28-13, 10:38 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Anti-inflammatories are good. I take turmeric daily. It is a blood thinner, which might be problematic if you are on certain medications, but I do not take any prescription drugs.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-29-13, 10:48 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Cripes. Yesterday, I was thinking I needed some Tumeric. I spent most of the say in pain. My effing left hand was killing me, and I could hardly type! And I basically type for a living.

So I'm thinking ... what's this .... sudden onset arthritis? Carpal tunnel? Some other terrible malady?

Then riding home last night, I remembered that I opened up a particularly tough jar of sweet pickles last Saturday. I had no pain while doing it, but I think I strained the crap outta the tendons in my hand.

Well, the pain's almost gone and the hand feels much better this morning. That means it almost certainly was that effing jar of pickles.

Jar O' Pickles 1
Biker395 0

Getting old sucks.
Old 01-29-13, 11:34 AM
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Jar O' Pickles 1
Biker395 0
There's a Janis Joplin song somewhere in there.
Old 01-29-13, 01:20 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Jar O' Pickles 1 Biker395 0 Getting old sucks.
Don't forget the refrain, I added it for you.
Kind of like, say, Oh Lord won't you buy me a Pin-ahhhh-rellllllll-ohhh, my frineds all ride treks, I must make the peleton........................
Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 01-29-13, 02:35 PM
daveF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife read about tumeric a few months ago & has both of us on it. I recently went back to commuting to work on the bike (30 mile round trip) and both of us went back to weight training 3 to 5 days a week. Usually, the combination of increasing the cycling & increasing weight training (particularly squats) causes some inflamation in my knees in particular areas. I'm experiencing no soreness anywhere. Unscientific, but I would conclude it is working for me.
Old 01-29-13, 02:42 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Makes me wonder if, as a group, East Indians experience less pain than everyone else. Their culture includes lots of curry, and curry is made with turmeric.

Yes, time to up the intake of curried foods. As well as the IPA, the Pimm's #5, the Bombay gin, etc. Ah yes, reminds me of the time I was in IN-JA!

Luis
Old 01-29-13, 03:11 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
India has a much lower incidence of Alzheimer's than the west, and some ascribe this to the curries in the diet.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-29-13, 03:34 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
For my entire adult life I have been plagued with severe back pain. Originally came about from racing mountain bikes in my 20's. Suffered through it all and deal with it best I can. One year ago a guy from India told me about tumeric as a daily supplement. Have been taking a heaping teaspoon a day for a year now and must say it really works.

Went off road snow riding yesterday. The trail was greasy as the temps were in the high teens low twenties making it slippery out there. Went down hard 4 times and figured today would be a day of pain. Got the end of a 2inch stick jammed into my right thigh breaking the skin (broke the stick, too!).

Woke up this morning with no soreness in my bones or muscles. Only thing hurting is the injury from the stick. I feel great! At 53 years of age that is saying something after the hard hits from yesterday.

An additional benefit seems to be my immune system functioning much better. My wife, son, daughter all got the flu on Christmas break, but I did not. They also all have been fighting head and chest colds, but not me as of yet. Used to get sick at the drop of a hat, but since starting this tumeric thing, I have been very healthy. Also seems to curb my appetite a bit.

Thought you all would like to know.
I use it in curries and to add color to rices instead of saffron, but I doubt I'm getting enough of it in my diet to relieve pain or bolster my immune system. How much do they recommend one consume to get these benefits?
Old 01-29-13, 03:56 PM
blt

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Getting old sucks.
Yes, but I still regard it as better than the alternative.

As of five years ago, there were four of us Northern Californians who took a trip together every fall to Southern California to visit a friend who used to live in the Bay Area, and to see a college football game. Then in summer 2008, 2 of us were diagnosed with cancer. Within 2 1/2 years, half our car was gone, one dead a week after turning 49, the other gone at 53.

The remaining two of us vowed that so long as we remained reasonably functional, we'd never complain again about all the aches and pains and other annoying things about getting old, instead we would rejoice in our birthdays as marking another year we made it. We reserve the right to complain about the worst thing about getting old, having too many loved ones pass away, but at least we haven't had to deal with it for a couple of years.

Last weekend, I drove a couple hundred miles to his place in Redding so that on the MLK holiday, we could take a nice 40 mile ride on the Sacramento River Trail and the Sacramento Rail Trail up to Shasta Dam, enjoy a sunny 65 degree day in January, and be happy that we're alive and in good enough shape to do that, in spite of the irritations of aging. My number one goal is to keep getting older so long as it is more desirable than the alternative.
Old 01-29-13, 04:17 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
I use it in curries and to add color to rices instead of saffron, but I doubt I'm getting enough of it in my diet to relieve pain or bolster my immune system. How much do they recommend one consume to get these benefits?
The Web MD article referenced by looigi above gave some dosages. It was different depending on what you were taking it for.
Old 01-29-13, 06:16 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by blt View Post
Yes, but I still regard it as better than the alternative.

As of five years ago, there were four of us Northern Californians who took a trip together every fall to Southern California to visit a friend who used to live in the Bay Area, and to see a college football game. Then in summer 2008, 2 of us were diagnosed with cancer. Within 2 1/2 years, half our car was gone, one dead a week after turning 49, the other gone at 53.

The remaining two of us vowed that so long as we remained reasonably functional, we'd never complain again about all the aches and pains and other annoying things about getting old, instead we would rejoice in our birthdays as marking another year we made it. We reserve the right to complain about the worst thing about getting old, having too many loved ones pass away, but at least we haven't had to deal with it for a couple of years.

Last weekend, I drove a couple hundred miles to his place in Redding so that on the MLK holiday, we could take a nice 40 mile ride on the Sacramento River Trail and the Sacramento Rail Trail up to Shasta Dam, enjoy a sunny 65 degree day in January, and be happy that we're alive and in good enough shape to do that, in spite of the irritations of aging. My number one goal is to keep getting older so long as it is more desirable than the alternative.
Sage advice.
Old 01-29-13, 07:38 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sage advice.
And it's about thyme.

I learned that it is in fact "turmeric" and not "tumeric."

I find that there's so much variability in the amount of soreness that I have, that it's hard to judge the effects of some treatment or other.
Old 01-29-13, 09:20 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tonight I added about .75 tsp of turmeric to one cup of frozen spinach, added 2 TBS of heavy whipping cream and 1 TBS of Almond Butter and nuked it for 4.5 minutes. It was excellent. Thanks.
Old 01-30-13, 05:05 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
And it's about thyme.I learned that it is in fact "turmeric" and not "tumeric."
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for pointing it out.

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/forums/9...c-or-Turmeric-
Old 01-31-13, 05:38 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
I plead guilty for being an ignoramus. Sorry about the misspelling of turmeric.
The exercise routine I am on includes weight training for upper body 3 days a week. Weights are lifted in sets to exhaustion. Only two sets done for each muscle group.
Used to get the "burn" and stiffness, but not since taking a daily dose of powdered turmeric. Telling you all, that Indian guy was spot on with this stuff. He said it would prevent soreness and reduce pain from arthritis. It works as promised.