Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The 50+ Great American Relay

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-01-13, 09:27 PM
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Folks,

I had an idea for an event which would promote 50+ cycling and celebrate the comaraderie of the 50+ forum. This would be a relay ride across America, with the members of the 50+ forum riding rides of "normal" lengths (whatever the cyclist is used to riding) and, at the conclusion of one's individual ride, passing a "baton" to the next rider, another member of the 50+ forum. We don't have to get too crazy, here: the relay doesn't have to be unbroken in time, but it should be unbroken in length, meaning any net advance in distance has to be by bicycle. We can decide on the ultimate goal: Is it simply to ride across America, or perhaps hit every one of the 48 "lower" states? Should we set a time limit, such as ride across America in 12 months, or 9 months, or 6 months? We should keep the rules to a minimum, but I think one of the important ones is that each handoff has to be documented with a photograph which is then posted either to a thread in this forum, or perhaps to a Facebook page we could set up for this purpose.

What do you think?
Old 02-01-13, 09:47 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
The logistics of this will be pretty tough, but if this makes it to Georgia, count me in.
Old 02-02-13, 09:56 AM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind participating in such an event. It would give us a chance to meet some of the minions of 50+. Scheduling might be a bear, but it sounds interesting.

Edit. Hey. The baton needs to fit in a jersey pocket so I don't wreck trying to tote that thing around. Carbon fiber, maybe

Last edited by doctor j; 02-02-13 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-02-13, 04:48 PM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting idea. I wouldn't mind participating, but the logistics of setting it up sounds like a daunting task.