Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dead Sick of Winter

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Dead Sick of Winter

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-13, 09:28 AM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Dead Sick of Winter

I woke up several hours ago to find it snowing...again.

I know some of us have suffered the results of horrendous weather conditions and I feel for you. I am not trying to compare my woe to yours. Moreover, some here are intrepid souls who delight in riding all through winter, and some live in climes with year round warmth and sunshine, but I’m a fair weather rider from the Northeast and I am just plain tired of winter!

I want to go out on long and aimless bike rides, stopping to cool down with an iced coffee, visiting farm markets, or just admiring the landscape as I pass by.

I want to prepare my body for long charity rides on the bike rather than in my basement.

I want to clean out my gardens, prune my perennials, and plant some annuals.

I want to watch the birds in my garden while drinking my morning coffee outdoors in my screen house.

I want to attend outdoor concerts.

I want to post on this forum about an interesting ride I’ve just had.

Okay, my rant is over. Anybody else dreaming of nice weather?
Old 02-16-13, 09:40 AM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Yes, I certainly am. Spring cannot get here soon enough for me. Rides without extra layers, calmer winds and the forum can quit doing the medical and safety study threads.Bill
I was going to add that, Bill, but I did not want to appear surly. However, Marines can pull that off!
Old 02-16-13, 09:41 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Yes, I certainly am. Spring cannot get here soon enough for me. Rides without extra layers, calmer winds and the forum can quit doing the medical and safety study threads.

Bill

Old 02-16-13, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Winter sucks.
Old 02-16-13, 09:54 AM

Government funded health surveys have shown that Americans are more likely to get cold in February than in August. I would definitely pass a law against something.

Old 02-16-13, 10:00 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I'm feeling a bit out of sorts myself despite all attempts to be adaptable. In winter I usually ski but this year has been one of poor snow unless traveling 3-4 hours north. I have ridden the bike many days this winter up until early January. Then I came down with a case of flu and when recovered, about a week and a half later, we began to get some snow. Now southern Rhode Island is warmish due to proximity to the sea so the snow we got was too wet and gloppy to ski but lingered long enough to mess up the roads doe the bike.

When life hands up broken eggs we should make an omlette. We can't control the wind but we can adjust our sails. I am now out of aphorisms, fortunately.
Old 02-16-13, 10:01 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm with you all the way, Miss K. This has been a particularly bad off-season for me for a lot of reasons I don't need to go into. But it's put me in the hole fitness-wise and I find myself wishing more than anything that it would just warm up enough to get back out and ride. I'd even settle for the 50s. I'm hardier than some, not as hardy as many.
Old 02-16-13, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I dont mind the length of winter. I just despise the inequity of summer months.
Old 02-16-13, 10:13 AM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
I dont mind the length of winter. I just despise the inequity of summer months.
Yes, jdon, I can imagine the nine months of winter and three months of "bad ice" Canadians endure can be quite tiresome.
Old 02-16-13, 10:28 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
I'm hearing you. That is the way I feel. As if the winter isn't bad enough without going through the cold and flu season. I guess it just makes a fellow appreciate summer all the more!
Old 02-16-13, 10:39 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Government funded health surveys have shown that Americans are more likely to get cold in February than in August. I would definitely pass a law against something.
P&R ?
Old 02-16-13, 10:54 AM
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
Winter truly does blow.
However, the daylight hours are starting to get slightly longer...
I heard birds chirping at sunrise this morning, first time I've heard them do that in months!
Either spring is coming or they were just bi*ching about winter too!
Old 02-16-13, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton

I know some of us have suffered the results of horrendous weather conditions and I feel for you. I am not trying to compare my woe to yours. Moreover, some here are intrepid souls who delight in riding all through winter...

I want to go out on long and aimless bike rides, stopping to cool down with an iced coffee, visiting farm markets, or just admiring the landscape as I pass by...

Anybody else dreaming of nice weather?...
This past Saturday during its the historic blizzard of 2013 in Boston, I intended to ride my bike with the studded tires home even though the trains were not running and a driving ban was in effect (I have a dispensation as a medical person to be on the road). However, though the Spirit was willing, the Wife was weak.

I did ride the following Monday and the roads had been well-tended. This Saturday morning, I rode in a light snowfall, at about 33°. Nonetheless, my thoughts en route were about the proposed Fifth Annual Fifty-Plus Ride in Boston on the week end of July 27-28. So hang in there, Miss Kenton (Sorry to “hijack” this thread, but you have expressed an interest on the “Official Thread for the 50+ 5th Annual Ride,” and I’d like to spread the word):

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
... This will be the fourth annual ride sponsored by a cycling advocacy group, MASS BIKE

.... As they describe it: “All rides (8, 26, 47, 62 and 100 miles) will traverse the heart of American Revolutionary history, from Paul Revere’s Ride through Lexington and Concord, to nearby battlefields. Longer rides visit the towns and villages that sent the first Minutemen. After the rides, everyone is invited to stay at Lexington High School for lunch and socializing. Lunch will be provided by Redbones! [A local, well-regarded BBQ joint that’s bike-friendly]. The terrain, IMO, is gently rolling hills.
For details, see: !https://massbike.org/summer-century-family-ride/
As the 1974 Dave Loggins song beckons, “Please come to Boston in the (summer) time....”

PS: I was out taking pictures last Saturday, and I snapped this one [WARNING: MAY BE DISTURBING TO SOME VIEWERS]:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2-12-13 001.jpg (98.5 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-16-13 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-16-13, 11:26 AM

We wouldn't have to put up with this crap if we all had solar panels.

Old 02-16-13, 12:04 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnosis
Greetings miss kenton,

Being that I’ve lived in southeastern Pennsylvania all my life, I’ve come to appreciate the cycling of earth’s four seasons. While some seasons may prohibit one activity, they make another possible, which in turn causes us to harbor anticipation of that which will soon come to pass with the approach of the next season. You’re presently anticipating spring’s arrival thanks to winter. Then perhaps winter isn’t such a bad thing after all, as it’s good to harbor anticipation of activities that we most enjoy…

In any case, spring is just around the bend, so you’ll soon be doing all the things that you enjoy so much. Try to enjoy what little remains of this winter, as this passing winter (my 56[SUP]th[/SUP] winter) will never be seen again…
That's a good attitude to have about winter! Thanks! (Not so much about never seeing 56 again.)
Old 02-16-13, 12:23 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston

I did ride the following Monday and the roads had been well-tended. This Saturday morning, I rode in a light snowfall, at about 33°. Nonetheless, my thoughts en route were about the proposed Fifth Annual Fifty-Plus Ride in Boston on the week end of July 27-28. So hang in there, Miss Kenton (Sorry to “hijack” this thread, but you have expressed an interest on the “Official Thread for the 50+ 5th Annual Ride,” and I’d like to spread the word):

As the 1974 Dave Loggins song beckons, “Please come to Boston in the (summer) time....”

PS: I was out taking pictures last Saturday, and I snapped this one [WARNING: MAY BE DISTURBING TO SOME VIEWERS]:

Jim, I have been granted that special dispensation, too.
The weather outside is frightful
But the Docs want INRs before nightful.
So as long as the trains are a "go"
The PT/PTTs they must know!

(Sorry, fellow 50+ers. That's a lame attempt at a little Hospital Lab humour.)

Jim, as far as your shameless huckstering of the Boston 50+ trip goes, I am surprised you haven't purchased an ad to frame the 50+forum pages yet. But that's okay, if it is part of your marketing plan, you may feel free to follow any of my posts with a promotion of the Boston trip.

Seriously, I am glad to see your reminders posted. It would be wonderful to have a large turnout in Boston this summer, JULY 27-28.
Old 02-16-13, 12:26 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnosis
Greetings miss kenton,

Being that I’ve lived in southeastern Pennsylvania all my life, I’ve come to appreciate the cycling of earth’s four seasons. While some seasons may prohibit one activity, they make another possible, which in turn causes us to harbor anticipation of that which will soon come to pass with the approach of the next season. You’re presently anticipating spring’s arrival thanks to winter. Then perhaps winter isn’t such a bad thing after all, as it’s good to harbor anticipation of activities that we most enjoy…

In any case, spring is just around the bend, so you’ll soon be doing all the things that you enjoy so much. Try to enjoy what little remains of this winter, as this passing winter (my 56[SUP]th[/SUP] winter) will never be seen again…
Being from South WEST PA, I can probably assume that you root for the wrong football team -- but I DO like your views on the 4 Seasons...
Old 02-16-13, 12:48 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, I certainly am. Spring cannot get here soon enough for me. Rides without extra layers, calmer winds and the forum can quit doing the medical and safety study threads.

Bill
It's a rare day here that I have any problems with the temps. Matter of fact that I prefer the average winter temps to those of high summer here. But the wind, seems like every time I go out I'm busting into 15-20.
Old 02-16-13, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Yes, jdon, I can imagine the nine months of winter and three months of "bad ice" Canadians endure can be quite tiresome.
Yeah... Our women are cold because of the weather..
Old 02-16-13, 02:25 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
But first commission a study and fund it outrageously, include a slant on the findings to support our position. And publish it on BF in the 50+.

Bill
Einstein himself could not get a study published by the science experts here. Standards are too high.

But good news on the weather: baseball is starting up.
Old 02-16-13, 02:26 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Last summer was not good and the bad weather spread into the winter that started early in October. The cold didn't start till Christmas but high winds- rain and floods did. Cold January with snow and ice and February has just had the best day of the year. Only way I have been able to get in the garden was with waterproofs and Wellie boots and that was to dig ditches for drainage.

Roll on summer when the rain will be warmer.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-16-13, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Jim, I have been granted that special dispensation, too.
The weather outside is frightful
But the Docs want INRs before nightful.
So as long as the trains are a "go"
The PT/PTTs they must know!

(Sorry, fellow 50+ers. That's a lame attempt at a little Hospital Lab humour.)
Though lame, that’s a pretty sophisticated ditty. Here’s a pathetic reply:

“Though the high PTT is frightful,
and the Hematologist is insightful.
There’s only one way to go,
Give lots and lots of cryo.”

(cryoprecipitate)

Jim, as far as your shameless huckstering of the Boston 50+ trip goes, I am surprised you haven't purchased an ad to frame the 50+forum pages yet. But that's okay, if it is part of your marketing plan, you may feel free to follow any of my posts with a promotion of the Boston trip.

Seriously, I am glad to see your reminders posted. It would be wonderful to have a large turnout in Boston this summer, JULY 27-28.
Thanks for your endorsement. To apologize for my previous winter photograph, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, here is a picture of the Boys of Summer at the Third Annual Fifty Plus Ride in Ann Arbor, MI:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010878.jpg (101.0 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-16-13 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-16-13, 03:37 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The only issue I have with Winter is the weather.
Old 02-16-13, 03:38 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Yes, I'm ready for warmer weather and longer days. I was quite happy on my way to my 6 PM group ride last night - I left the house at 5:15 and it was still light and it didn't feel cold (well, it was 17 °F, but the sunshine helped). OTOH, by the time the ride was over it was 13 °F and I couldn't feel the toes of my left foot. I don't know what it means, but it's always my left foot that gets numb.

I'll just keep riding in the cold, enjoying the gradually improving late afternoon light and air temperatures. We have at least a month of winter to go, and maybe two. But at about this time of year, I begin to stare longingly at my road bikes, waiting for the day when I can ride them again.
Old 02-16-13, 03:45 PM

Bikes: Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know some of us have suffered the results of horrendous weather conditions and I feel for you. I am not trying to compare my woe to yours. Moreover, some here are intrepid souls who delight in riding all through winter, and some live in climes with year round warmth and sunshine, but I’m a fair weather rider from the Northeast and I am just plain tired of winter!

I want to go out on long and aimless bike rides, stopping to cool down with an iced coffee, visiting farm markets, or just admiring the landscape as I pass by.

I want to prepare my body for long charity rides on the bike rather than in my basement.

I want to clean out my gardens, prune my perennials, and plant some annuals.

I want to watch the birds in my garden while drinking my morning coffee outdoors in my screen house.

I want to attend outdoor concerts.

I want to post on this forum about an interesting ride I’ve just had.

Okay, my rant is over. Anybody else dreaming of nice weather?
Hell yeah, right there with ya.

Definitely not enjoying the snow, cold-arse weather, dodging the potholes, narrower roads from snow piles, and debris left where the roads are ripped up, or the other alternative--muddy trails.

I was inspired today, however, seeing one of the locals out for his afternoon ride.
I'm looking forward to a good ride for sure.
If the trail is frozen hard tomorrow I may get out there, or just take the MTB to the local hill roads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.