Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike of the future

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike of the future

Old 02-17-13, 10:58 AM
Shamrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Bike of the future

I wonder what it will be.The computer will no doubt control the bike.It might bark orders at you.Turn right here!,Slow down intersection ahead!,pedal faster!,Maybe the gears will change while a sensor feels a cadence drop.A map screen on the handle bars thats also a cell phone.Voice commands like call home,map my ride to bumpy trails etc..Just wondering what my grandkids will be riding.What do you think?
Old 02-17-13, 11:28 AM
overthehillmedi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They'll use a woman's voice to vocalize the commands for a man and vice versus. That way you'll be able to ignore the command like you ignore your wife.

Last edited by overthehillmedi; 02-18-13 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-17-13, 11:39 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 326 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
What do you think?
Pretty much the opposite. For me, part of the attraction of riding a bike is getting away from people telling me what to do.
Old 02-17-13, 12:02 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 628 Posts
We just about have all the navigation stuff now - smartphone with navigation/mapping apps. So that is either already available or will be shortly. As long as the UCI is around, I don't think the current bike and drive chain will change much. So maybe 15 gear cassettes, triples, and shifting something like Di2/EPS. The one nice improvement is tires that don't get flats.
Old 02-17-13, 12:15 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
About the only things they can play around with are how the wheels, steering, pedals, and seat are connected to each other. I think they've already gone through most of the combos that can be practically used.

One day, I'd like to see a unicycle with an IGH, so that unicyclists can finally have a multispeed pedaling experience!

I take it back. I just had a brilliant flash of... maybe an epileptic seizure... ...

But how about a modern unibody design fully enclosed cab-forward bicycle with crumple zones, lightweight aerodynamic body where the body is also the load-bearing frame with modern crash protection, as well as protection from the elements!

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 02-17-13 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-17-13, 12:51 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Old 02-17-13, 12:54 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 326 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post
But how about a modern unibody design fully enclosed cab-forward bicycle with crumple zones, lightweight aerodynamic body where the body is also the load-bearing frame with modern crash protection, as well as protection from the elements!
Pretty much already commercially available if you're willing to spend the money. Check out bentrideronline.com. Go to the velomobile board.
Old 02-17-13, 02:33 PM
Shamrock

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
Now thats What I'm talking about!
Old 02-17-13, 02:40 PM
v.t.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I wonder what it will be.The computer will no doubt control the bike.It might bark orders at you.Turn right here!,Slow down intersection ahead!,pedal faster!,Maybe the gears will change while a sensor feels a cadence drop.A map screen on the handle bars thats also a cell phone.Voice commands like call home,map my ride to bumpy trails etc..Just wondering what my grandkids will be riding.What do you think?

I ride a tandem with my wife so I already have most of these features.
Old 02-17-13, 02:43 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM, 2008 BikeFriday tikit T-♾, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2019 Surly ˝DT14, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 246 Posts
Well, before we speculate about the future, let's review the progress and changes over the last 100 years or so:

1908 bicycle.
2013 bicycle.
Old 02-17-13, 06:08 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bike of the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
download.jpg (9.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Dchiefransom; 02-17-13 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-17-13, 06:44 PM
TomD77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just as commercial airliners from almost 60 years ago show very little visually apparent change from new versions, once a design has approached the ideal then further changes become more and more incremental. I doubt that there will be any radical evolutionary changes in bicycles.
Old 02-17-13, 06:48 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 551 Posts
A bicycle is simple beauty.
Old 02-17-13, 07:03 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
There will continue to be a wide range of different bikes for different purposes, just as we have now. I expect there will be further advances in tubeless tires, internal gearing, electronic shifting, electronically controlled suspension, hydraulic disc brakes for road bikes, electric motor assist, enclosed drivetrains...
Old 02-17-13, 08:10 PM
Paul Ebert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
puncture proof carbon fiber tires. ultra-light and rustproof liquid metal frames. continuously variable transmission electronically adjusted by desired torque. gps hidden in the frame for locating when stolen. perhaps some special uses of graphene. friction-less hubs based on halbach arrays.
Old 02-17-13, 08:39 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 223 Posts
Build this one out of carbon fiber, add a workable convertible hard-top and you'll be getting pretty close to a future bike:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fairing.jpg (98.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-17-13, 09:54 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The bicycle is similar in that regard to the audio speaker whose basic design (voice coil dancing in a magnetic field) also has only seen minor, incremental changes in 100 plus years
Old 02-18-13, 02:51 AM
loneviking61

Bikes: Schwinn Trailwise, Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Ebert View Post
puncture proof carbon fiber tires. ultra-light and rustproof liquid metal frames. continuously variable transmission electronically adjusted by desired torque. gps hidden in the frame for locating when stolen. perhaps some special uses of graphene. friction-less hubs based on halbach arrays.
And to that list I would add battery assisted shifting. I just saw that at my LBS, designed for us (ahem) experienced riders who might have arthritis. Heated handlebars powered by a tiny battery kept charged by the motion of the wheels.
Old 02-18-13, 04:37 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16094 Post(s)
Liked 1,445 Times in 1,056 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
There will continue to be a wide range of different bikes for different purposes, just as we have now. I expect there will be further advances in tubeless tires, internal gearing, electronic shifting, electronically controlled suspension, hydraulic disc brakes for road bikes, electric motor assist, enclosed drivetrains...
I think we will see more of this. Battery and lightweight motor technology will bring another version of the moped from the 80's. Disc brakes are here to stay.
Old 02-18-13, 05:37 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
The bike of the future is on its way. Its all about integration between the rider and the bike. Its not about just the bike. First comes the racing which is at the forefront of innovation. Cervelo is the first again, making the bike lighter and stronger with its R5ca. It will get even lighter, the frame to allow all the electronics using battery power but more of it to drive the electronics.

Gone will be the Garmin type GPS on the handlebar. It will be integrated into the helmet shield for full visibility like a dash board on a car. We will spend more money on the kit than the bike.

The saddle will be custom made because its actively controlled to accomodate your particular riding demands. Saddle makers will merge with kit makers or a new business model will emerge. Body core temperatures will be actively monitored and the skin suit will have materials that simulate the body's epidermis to allow for temperature and moisture regulation.

There will be no need for guessing about your electrolytes nor your blood sugar, or anything about your lactic acid stuff. What the astronauts have in long term confinement will also be available for all your vital signs. That means you will take fluids and nutrition as the body demands it. No more cramps, no more bonking.

The Speedplay pedals with the adjustable float will be a thing of the past. The entire footwear industry will produce another business model to assess your particular walking, riding, hiking, riding style, and even the pronation, arch support thing.

What else? You still gotta pee.
Old 02-18-13, 07:32 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 433 Posts
The fact that there is almost no difference between the 1908 bike and the 2013 bike is the fact that the international racing dictators wont allow the bike to change. To me it kind of like keeping firemen on diesel engine trains.

As more and more people understand that you dont have to be in pain to ride a bike, recumbents and trikes will gain a larger percentage of sales. Right now some trike manuf have had a nearly 90% sales gain in the last year. More and more long distance riders are going to recumbents for cross country riding.
Old 02-18-13, 08:05 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
The fact that there is almost no difference between the 1908 bike and the 2013 bike is the fact that the international racing dictators wont allow the bike to change. To me it kind of like keeping firemen on diesel engine trains.

As more and more people understand that you dont have to be in pain to ride a bike, recumbents and trikes will gain a larger percentage of sales. Right now some trike manuf have had a nearly 90% sales gain in the last year. More and more long distance riders are going to recumbents for cross country riding.
Old 02-18-13, 08:37 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
You do have a point about racing organizations, but in the examples shown, it was more that a particular bike model was chosen that was intended to look like the old bike. There are currently many bikes available that bear little resemblance to the old 1908 Raleigh. Even the upright diamond frame bikes that you dislike but which work so well for many of us have changed quite a bit. Put a Specialized McLaren Venge in that comparison and tell me things haven't changed. But current bike design also includes many variations of recumbents, trikes and other types.
Maybe the biggest change over the 105 years is the great variety of bicycle designs now available. I see that trend continuing into the future.
Old 02-18-13, 10:02 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I think we'll also see recycling of retro looks and functionality. I'm not sure what that will be, but I wonder if at some point carbon will be retro.
Old 02-18-13, 10:04 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I would hope bike racing restrictions don't affect consumer bike design any more than auto racing restrictions affect minivan design. I find it annoying that LBS's always seem to want to put you on the latest super light, high dollar race bike as their top end option. I want comfort and utility in a bike just like I want comfort and utility in an automobile. Smoother ride, long lasting reliability, carrying extra things, ...doesn't equal a wind-tunnel tested 17lb carbon fiber with 130PSI 23's.

I expect advancements in comfort and utility. Maybe bents, maybe trikes, but I don't like them yet. I still like standing up and using legs and arms as a suspension element when needed. I'm not enthused about 11 speed rear clusters. Are we heading for 20?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.