Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Lemond build after Westminister show

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 03:21 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I just started another trial of a full carbon fiber bike. I bought a Lemond frameset, seapost, stem, and Ultegra 10-speed components (STI, crankset, derailleurs) at the Westminister swap meet a couple weeks ago. I had a chain, saddle, and a wheelset (off my Colnago) to complete the bike. I had not expected to build another bike but I got some great deals at the swap meet.

I took a mile ride this afternoon. The bike is a bit smaller than my normal 60cm ride so I'll have to ride with a more aggressive drop between saddle and dropbars. That combined with my extra weight, lower fitness level, and interfering aero-belly to make the ride less pleasurable than expected. My conclusion is I should keep the Lemond for several months to see how it will ride once I've dropped some weight and am able to ride 30+ miles at a time.

Old 02-18-13, 04:29 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My older bike is a 2002 Lemond Zurich. It always seemed too small for me but I had been fitted on it several times so apparently not. It's just the bike has a much longer top tube and is very agressive - much better suited for racing than recreational riding. I loved the bike and rode it for 8 years until I had the Landshark built. Keep at it, it will get more comfortable as your fitness improves.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 02-18-13, 04:51 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions based on a one mile ride. Especially with a cool Lemond like that. Otoh I would not expect it to take several months to bond with her either. Some shorter reach bars might be helpful if it comes to that.

And kudos on the orange RD pulleys. Nice.

Last edited by billydonn; 02-18-13 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-18-13, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You got a cool bike man
Old 02-18-13, 06:02 PM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Nice bike. I always liked the Molteni / Eddie Merckx orange color.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was a different Westminster Show. I expected to see a black & fuzzy bike!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
021313-Banana-Joe-600.jpg (36.0 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by rm -rf; 02-18-13 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-18-13, 06:12 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Man, that's a pretty bike.

To me it looks like you have a longish stem and handlebars with a deepish drop. If I'm right you should be able to fine tune your fit on the bike fairly easily.
Old 02-18-13, 06:20 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Man, that's a pretty bike.

To me it looks like you have a longish stem and handlebars with a deepish drop. If I'm right you should be able to fine tune your fit on the bike fairly easily.
Yes, the long stem and drop bars are on purpose. I'm 6'1" with a long torso so I need a long top tube. I usually ride 60 - 61cm frames with less than a handful of seat post showing. Hopefully loosing my aero-belly and putting in some real miles will make the larger than normal seat to handlebars drop more comfortable. My test ride confirmed that the saddle needs to be raised at least another inchy.

I like the orange and black scheme and like the looks of a clean new build. I'd normally use a compact crankset but got a good deal on the Ultegra.
Old 02-18-13, 06:24 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Sweet bike! Maybe I should start going to swap meets ... hmmm.

Might want to flip that headpiece on the stem around, though. I think it's upside down.

I'll bet that one change increases your average speed at least 1 MPH.

Old 02-18-13, 06:55 PM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Might want to flip that headpiece on the stem around, though. I think it's upside down.
I was going to say that, but decided not..............

BTW, I like orange on a bike, looks sweet.
Old 02-18-13, 08:09 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
It is a pretty thing! Even though the bars work for you, they do remind me, just a bit, of a Texas Longhorn. That's a compliment!
Old 02-18-13, 08:50 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Very, very nice build. Frame looks in tip top shape. I was wondering about the bars as well but you explained you needed the extra reach. I'm also 6'1 but with long legs/medium torso and rode a 62 Top tube for several years. I've now found that a 58 is my sweet spot. What size frame is that anyway?

Seeing a 53 chain ring with that cassette makes my legs hurt!!! I've been riding a 50/34 way too long.......

Swap meets are great if you know what you're looking at and looking for.
Old 02-18-13, 09:55 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Raising the seat post anything like an inch will give you more stretch I would think. And slight rotation of bars upward could help a little with the temporary aerobelly? The orange does really pop.
Old 02-19-13, 12:35 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
I'm 6'1" with a long torso so I need a long top tube. I usually ride 60 - 61cm frames with less than a handful of seat post showing.
I'm also 6'1 with a long torso. I'm betting the 60-61 cm bike is to big for you. Like JPPE, also same height and he also rides a 58 like I, fits like a glove.

Not to mention, I believe the amount of seatpost for a straight top tube frame is a handful. Less than a handful would seem the frame is too big.

I loved the fit of my Lemond, too bad it broke.

Old 02-19-13, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Yet another nice build. How many is that now?
Old 02-19-13, 08:48 AM
Muscle bike design spec

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Yet another nice build. How many is that now?
I've built at least 3 other full carbon fiber bikes - a Kestrel, a Kestrel TT, and a PedalForce. I built the school bus yellow Kestrel with full Ultegra for resale. Her test ride was awesome but I needed the cash. She was smaller than the Lemond and the saddle to bar drop was several inches. I could tell that rides over a few miles would be too uncomfortable. The PedalForce was ok but just did not feel right. Same for the Kestrel TT.

Most of my stable is built from frames - an Oval Master Colnago, a Master Olympic Colnago, a CF Miyata (nice ride), Bianchi, Fuji World, and a Ritchey Breakaway CX. I've built about a dozen reasonably modern bikes from frames, mostly in my size. Among them are a Kona Lisa TT, Nasbar Al w/CF stays and fork, Schwinn Fastback, and several Scattante. One of my best builds is a Seven Elium (CF and titanium) for a coworker. I used a DuraAce 10 speed group and my Spinergy white spoke wheelset. At about 50cm it came in at 16 lbs. The coworker, a newbie, is quickly turning hard core - recently buying Lake winter boots to continue riding this winter.

I tend to acquire parts and when they reach critical mass I'll buy a wheelset or interesting frame for another project. It is seldom profitable. A single flip bike, sold for $150 brings in more profit in one tenth the effort. For my stable, however, profit is not the goal.
Old 02-19-13, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Nice bike. I always liked the Molteni / Eddie Merckx orange color.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was a different Westminster Show. I expected to see a black & fuzzy bike!

So did I.What does a cyclist and a show dog have in common?Neither one can pass a drug test.Yep Even the show dogs are accused of being on drugs.Nice bike BTW my bike is orange too.Funny thing when you buy a bike one can not pick a color unless you are willing to wait years.Sorry about the hijack slow day at work.
Old 02-22-13, 02:44 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I found the probable origin of the frameset. It matches the 2000 Trek 5200 OCLV. That bike came with Ultegra 9 speed and Rolf wheels. Coincidentally I installed Ultegra 9 speed derailleurs, 10 speed crankset, cassette , and STI. My wheels are newer Rolf.

I've seen a couple postings of the frame being rebadged as Lemond for a team. Since it has USPS and Voler stickers that seems plausible.
Old 02-23-13, 05:08 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That thing got a hemi?