Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ jersey and kit order thread 2013

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50+ jersey and kit order thread 2013

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-13, 11:47 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I'm starting to feel good about this enterprise now that delivery reports are coming in.
I worry....
Old 05-21-13, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
I'm starting to feel good about this enterprise now that delivery reports are coming in.
I worry....
In spite of the way we like to dump on the postal service, they are still mostly reliable.
Old 05-21-13, 05:28 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
My new shorts arrived yesterday and they feel all sleek and sexy. I don't feel the slightest bit dorky in them.

And guys: another way to show appreciation, besides the promise of a beer at some future time, is to include a "gratuity" in your payment for the goods. Keep it in mind the next time you order.
Gotcha, Bill - but the beer in person and the ride is much more motivation to get out and do it for real! And in my (selfish) case, I started cycling in the Bay Area and never thought riding up Diablo was realistic - back when I was in my mid-20's and semi-in-shape. I wanna go do it, and the beer for Curtis will make it all the better!
Old 05-21-13, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Curtis,
I got the Jersey last night and it looks good, but I have a question. The zipper pull tab is on the left side like a women's garment. Is this standard on these jerseys or is it possible that something got switched?
Old 05-21-13, 06:41 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mort Canard
Hey Curtis,
I got the Jersey last night and it looks good, but I have a question. The zipper pull tab is on the left side like a women's garment. Is this standard on these jerseys or is it possible that something got switched?
Mine is the same. From several years back.
Old 05-21-13, 07:27 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hey Curtis,
It's pretty normal for cycling clothing made abroad. Mine's the same. You get used to it.

On another note: the 50+ shorts I received may have magical powers! I wore them today and the legs were "good" as they say. Very, very good.

Last edited by billydonn; 05-21-13 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-21-13, 08:24 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Denver and Billydonn!

Probably take a little while to get used to it. Still it's a great looking jersey and lost nothing in translation from the pictures to reality.
Old 05-21-13, 08:33 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Hey Curtis,
Yep. I have several jerseys that have pulls on the "wrong" side. I personally hate it, and have no idea why it seems to be a cycling custom.

I've read the reason for buttons side-ed-ness is thus:
In the olden days, even before our parents, men dressed themselves, so buttons were set up for right-handers. Women had dresses, so buttons were set up for right-handed dresses.

Maybe pro cyclists have dressers, or 50+ cyclists are so old they need help.

In any event, that's just the way they make 'em.
Old 05-21-13, 08:55 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Curtis,
Thanks for the comeback and for putting together the order! This is the first full zip jersey I have ever had so I had not seen this before.

I will see if I can get a picture of myself in the jersey this weekend and post it to the forum.
Be well!
Old 05-22-13, 09:47 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Curtis,

Came back from a trip today, and my jersey was there waiting for me
Thanks.
Old 05-22-13, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
In spite of the way we like to dump on the postal service, they are still mostly reliable.
Mine finally showed up today. I still don't quite understand how one poster in Texas got theirs in two days (mailed on 5/18. post about receiving it on 5/20), while it took twice as long to get just east of Sacramento (less than 100 miles from Antioch). I did notice the envelope is marked "legal size requires additional priority postage". There also was a stamp indicating $0.15 postage due, which was then crossed off. Anyone else notice the same?

KB

P.S. Thanks again Curtis, for all the work that went into coordinating this. I was so excited to see it. Seems exactly what I was expecting (especially after receiving my NorCal jersey).
Old 05-23-13, 12:52 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine showed up on Tuesday, and had a postage due of $0.30 which my son paid, and wanted me to reimburse him.

That is until I started mumbling about HIM reimbursing ME for food, lodging, medical care...

These are really nice, Curtis! Definitely the nicest shorts I own at this point.
Old 05-23-13, 05:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got my jersey a few days ago and was pleased as punch. I had totally spaced out that I had also ordered a jacket, so when that showed up yesterday, I was like a little kid opening the package! I had also ordered and received a while ago the Northern California vest, and wore it on a ride out of petaluma last week. It worked great in the changing weather conditions. Thanks so much for doing this Curtis!