Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Target Weight

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Target Weight

Old 02-26-13, 03:15 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 308 Posts
Target Weight

Just completed a health assessment that my company offers. I suspect most companies are doing that as a part of educating the general workforce on healthier habits in efforts to reduce medical costs.

Most of the stuff for me scored in the "good" category.

The category on target weight got my attention. It indicated that my target weight for my height was 140-184 lbs. I'm glad I'm still not at 225 lbs.... I'm around 175 lbs and would like to get to 165 lbs. At 165 lbs people ask me if "I've been "sick"...... I can't imagine what I'd look like at 140 lbs. I was 155 lbs in college and still had a good bit of growing. 140 lbs********** wow......

I guess it does tell me I do have a lot of room to get rid of a lot more weigh if the upper end of the scale is 184 lbs. I'm certainly much closer to the upper end of the scale than I'd like.
Old 02-26-13, 03:22 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 56 Posts
Oh crap!
Old 02-26-13, 03:33 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never understood those "target weights". For me that is 165 (or I have also heard 157) and I haven't weighed that since High School and, like you, people would think there was something wrong if I got down to that weight again...

For me, my optimum weight always seems to be about 10 pounds less than what I actually weigh.
Old 02-26-13, 03:44 PM
tpolley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm 185-ish currently. i was 175 for a long time but for some reason around the end of november i seemed to have gained 10lbs and i haven't been able to loose it. this summer i want to try and get back down to about 170. maybe i'll be able to see my d*ck again.

i too did a health screening about a month ago. everything was good except my blood sugar was on the high end of normal. the consultant said it wasn't anything to worry about but i'm going to see if i can keep an eye on it and reduce it by diet.

i have a feeling scheduling a health screening in the middle of winter when everyone is hibernating doesn't give an accurate assessment of one's overall health. the survey asked "how often i work out", well, in the winter months i don't do much in the way of working out, but in the summer i'm on my bike every other day at least.

edit: i just realised this was in the 50+ forum. i'm about 20 years shy of being 50+
Old 02-26-13, 03:46 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
A year ago, after some health issues which severely reduced my bike riding, I had gotten all the way up to 192 lb. I'm 5'8" tall so I was getting on the chunky side. Once I got back on the bike, it really affected my hill climbing ability and stamina . I told myself something had to change!!! My goal was to get my BMI to the middle of the "normal" range, I wasn't so much concerned with my final weight.. My goal was to get my BMI of about 21-22.

I didn't diet, but began tracking my caloric intake. I used Livestrongs website to track my daily food intake which helped me be very aware of what I was eating. I tried to keep my calories to about 2000 per day. The site also helped me track my weight. For me, what helped the most was this rule. AFTER SUPPER, DON'T LET ANY FOOD PASS YOUR LIPS TILL BREAKFAST.

A year later, I'm down to 140 lb's and feel great!! Medium cycling clothing feels a tad loose! My BMI is under 22. This is as of the end of Febuary before our cycling season really starts. I'm hoping for some good riding this summer!!

PS: And yes, people are going to whisper. My wife regularly gets asked " is your husband alright or is he sick" or something to that effect. I figure, when they start asking those questions, I'm close to my fighting weight!!
Old 02-26-13, 03:54 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 186 Posts
I'm 5'8" as well and I dropped from about 160 to about 140 when I started riding (about 18 months ago). People were asking me if I was sick.

everything was good except my blood sugar was on the high end of normal.

Based on an informal survey of all the guys my age I know, on the high end or just over the high end seems to be the norm for men over 50.
Old 02-26-13, 03:58 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most people are so overweight, they think a healthy weight looks sick. Thin is healthy.
Old 02-26-13, 04:39 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 281 Posts
IMHO, those "ideal weight" numbers are on the fanciful side. I'm 5'9" and my "healthy weight" range is supposedly 127 to 170 pounds.

My sainted aunt ... 127 pounds?!?

Seriously now. I'd be gaunt, to say the least. I was a healthy 150-155 pounds in high school and college. I'm about 10 pounds from my goal weight, and I'll get there.

My non-cycling friends as me why I think I need to lose weight at all. My answer? It has nothing to do with looks ... I'd just rather do my 8000 foot climbing weekend rides without the bowling ball, thankyouverymuch.

Old 02-26-13, 05:50 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
According to some charts "normal" for my height(5'7") is 118lbs~159lbs. OMG, 118 lbs!!!! My wife thinks she's hugging an oven rack already with me between 138~142.
Old 02-26-13, 06:04 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've crept up over the past year and need to shed a couple pounds too. The other day I went to the doctor and tipped the scales at 185# (dressed). While that's the weight I grew up at, I felt better on the bike at about 175 or a little less. 10# makes a marked difference when climbing. Anyway, I will try to get rid of a few before April. Hopefully be around 175 by summer.
Old 02-26-13, 06:53 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
According to some charts "normal" for my height(5'7") is 118lbs~159lbs. OMG, 118 lbs!!!! My wife thinks she's hugging an oven rack already with me between 138~142.
Same here at 5'7". I'm at 145 lbs now (down from 180) and I think it is where I will stay. It seems to be an ideal weight for me and my wife and doctor agrees.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-26-13, 06:59 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
The target rates really do relate to heart health as much as riding health. I'm am at 225/6'3". the most I am supposed to weigh is 190. It is kicking my tail just to get to 210. I know that I will enjoy better health and enjoy better riding times as well. thaks for reminding me to get serious, er more serious.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 02-26-13, 07:05 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BMI calculators (Webmd and the CDC) show me at 21.7, which is in the normal range of 160-215# they show for my height of 6'6". I have a teammate my height whose racing weight is 165. I call him Skeletor, but that doesn't mean it isn't a healthy weight. Not rocket science to know that the less fat in your body, the better... and you'd have to get really really skinny to have lack of weight be a negative factor in your health. As in, skinnier than professional bike racers.
Old 02-26-13, 07:22 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has been generally accepted that thinner is better. But I am not aware of any actual evidence that backs that claim up.

But a study last fall stirred the medical minds with evidence that contradicts that idea. It said that 'fitness' is the main criteria rather than weight. But, as long as the subject had good fitness, a little obesity didn't matter. Here is an excerpt from it:

September 6, 2012 (Stockholm, Sweden) Obese individuals with high levels of cardiorespiratory fitness and a healthy cardiometabolic profile have a lower risk of mortality and cardiovascular events, including cardiovascular death, than individuals who are metabolically unhealthy and obese [1]. In fact, researchers showed that the risk of all-cause mortality, cardiovascular morality, and cardiovascular events was equivalent among metabolically healthy but obese individuals with high levels of cardiorespiratory fitness and normal-weight individuals.

"Once fitness is duly accounted for and an accurate measure of adiposity is used, the metabolically healthy but obese phenotype is a benign condition, with a better prognosis (30% to 50% lower risk) for mortality and morbidity than metabolically abnormal obese people," say Dr Francisco Ortega (Karolinksa Institute, Stockholm, Sweden) and colleagues in the report, published online September 5, 2012 in the European Heart Journal. "Interestingly, no difference in the prognosis is observed between metabolically healthy but obese individuals and metabolically healthy normal-fat individuals once fitness is accounted for, suggesting a key role of fitness in these associations."

I watched several review panels of physicians and researchers discuss this. None of them argued with the methodology or the results -- but they concluded that we should proceed very cautiously before taking these results as the final word.

(BTW: By "metabolically healthy" they mostly mean the absence of diabetes)
Old 02-26-13, 07:45 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,100 Posts
My perspective on this sure has evolved in the last few years. In spring 2009 before I started riding, I was 195 lbs. I'm 5'10". I didn't think I was fat! Even today, looking at photos from that time, I didn't look chubby. But that's a BMI 28 and by medical standards that's borderline obese.

Cycling and diet consciousness have worked wonders, and by early 2010 I was down to the low 170s. By spring 2011, the mid 160s- what I weighed in college. People started commenting on how much weight I had lost and there were a few comments about whether my health was OK.

Now I'm at 157, which is a BMI of 22.5 and what I weighed in high school. Yeah, a few of my ribs show, but I still think I could lose a few pounds. People think I'm "too thin", but I look around and I see so many people carrying around extra weight - I think everybody's perspective has become skewed towards the heavy.

If you had told me in 2009 that I could lose 40 pounds, I would not have believed that I had that much fat to lose.
Old 02-26-13, 07:53 PM
climberguy

Bikes: better than I deserve

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are several different charts regarding ideal weight and weight ranges, and much depends on which chart is used. I am thin and toward the low end of most charts, but for most North Americans, especially those over 50 yr. old, the lower ranges on the charts seem unreachable.

In this country in the 1950s and 1960s (when I was very young), a great many adults, male and female, were of a size and weight that would now seem abnormally thin to many people.
Old 02-26-13, 08:12 PM
ericm979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My prefered race weight at age 53 puts me at a BMI of 19, which is right at the lower bounds of "healthy weight". When I was 28 it was a couple lbs lower.

But I am built really thin.
Old 02-26-13, 08:56 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pursuance View Post
. . . . Wanna see 190# dressed (not like hunting dressed) . . . .
Not drinking coffee so the monitor is still dry. How about the rest?
Old 02-26-13, 09:00 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I "should" weigh 145. I feel pretty fit when I get down to 180, but my dad was 145-150 almost all of his eighty three years and could have kicked my but for the first sixty of them, and matched me for the rest.
Old 02-27-13, 01:48 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Weight is relative and it is what you want to be at. 5'6" and 40 years ago I boxed at 126lbs. 30 years ago and just after I finished running and I was at 130 lbs. Wish I had that weight still and the fitness that goes with it. 20 years ago and it was 140 lbs and just started cycling. Didn't feel overweight and although a lot went into cycling- weight increased gradually up to 155 lbs. For me that was fat. Start of the year and I decided that weight had to come off and started working for it. Down to 150 fairly quickly and currently at 145. It is going to take a lot more effort to get down to my target of 140lbs and I wonder if the effort will be worth it. For my height and age I am not bad and I suppose it is vanity that makes me wonder what losing that "Extra" 5 lbs will do for me.

To lose that 5lbs will take a lot of effort and the thing that keeps driving me on is how much fitness that effort would give me. Just as long as I don't start wishing I could get back to my fighting weight at 126.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-27-13, 03:31 AM
Bikey Mikey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have to also watch what I loose because a good pound, or possibly closer to 2 pounds, of my weight is loose skin that I will never loose without surgery(went from 251(8/2010 to 138~142 presently(reached 155lbs back in 8/2011). I'm not getting surgery--not that vein. I'm 5'7" now--when I was in my 20s, I was 5'8"--so should I be using 5'7 charts or 5'8" charts? At my largest, I was 275lbs. I've gotten down to 136--didn't like it that low.
Old 02-27-13, 06:52 AM
GeorgeBMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
I have to also watch what I loose because a good pound, or possibly closer to 2 pounds, of my weight is loose skin that I will never loose without surgery(went from 251(8/2010 to 138~142 presently(reached 155lbs back in 8/2011). I'm not getting surgery--not that vein. I'm 5'7" now--when I was in my 20s, I was 5'8"--so should I be using 5'7 charts or 5'8" charts? At my largest, I was 275lbs. I've gotten down to 136--didn't like it that low.
Perhaps neither....

All of those charts are simply variations on the BMI theme -- which is recognized as just a very crude measure of, well, whatever it is they are trying to measure...

Increasingly medical research is pointing to abdominal & visceral fat -- and therefor WAIST SIZE -- as the true measure of metabolic health.

So, instead of worrying about where you fit on the chart, perhaps it would be better to be looking directly at the 'the problem' which is visceral fat as measured by waist size...
Old 02-27-13, 07:21 AM
Bikey Mikey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
Perhaps neither....

All of those charts are simply variations on the BMI theme -- which is recognized as just a very crude measure of, well, whatever it is they are trying to measure...

Increasingly medical research is pointing to abdominal & visceral fat -- and therefor WAIST SIZE -- as the true measure of metabolic health.

So, instead of worrying about where you fit on the chart, perhaps it would be better to be looking directly at the 'the problem' which is visceral fat as measured by waist size...
I wasn't actually serious about which chart to look at. The question was more a hmmm moment. I don't worry about the charts or really think about them any longer. Actually, I never really obsessed or thought about them much at all. Where I am and have been for quite a long time now, my visceral fat is very, very low. I'm guessing your statement is directed to the generic "you" and not directed towards me.
Old 02-27-13, 08:54 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
It has been generally accepted that thinner is better. But I am not aware of any actual evidence that backs that claim up.

But a study last fall stirred the medical minds with evidence that contradicts that idea. It said that 'fitness' is the main criteria rather than weight. But, as long as the subject had good fitness, a little obesity didn't matter. Here is an excerpt from it:

September 6, 2012 (Stockholm, Sweden) Obese individuals with high levels of cardiorespiratory fitness and a healthy cardiometabolic profile have a lower risk of mortality and cardiovascular events, including cardiovascular death, than individuals who are metabolically unhealthy and obese [1]. In fact, researchers showed that the risk of all-cause mortality, cardiovascular morality, and cardiovascular events was equivalent among metabolically healthy but obese individuals with high levels of cardiorespiratory fitness and normal-weight individuals.

"Once fitness is duly accounted for and an accurate measure of adiposity is used, the metabolically healthy but obese phenotype is a benign condition, with a better prognosis (30% to 50% lower risk) for mortality and morbidity than metabolically abnormal obese people," say Dr Francisco Ortega (Karolinksa Institute, Stockholm, Sweden) and colleagues in the report, published online September 5, 2012 in the European Heart Journal. "Interestingly, no difference in the prognosis is observed between metabolically healthy but obese individuals and metabolically healthy normal-fat individuals once fitness is accounted for, suggesting a key role of fitness in these associations."

I watched several review panels of physicians and researchers discuss this. None of them argued with the methodology or the results -- but they concluded that we should proceed very cautiously before taking these results as the final word.

(BTW: By "metabolically healthy" they mostly mean the absence of diabetes)
This seems to be the approach taken by my long-time physician. But he doesn't give a hoot how fast I can ride a bike up a hill. He cares a lot that I ride though.
Old 02-27-13, 10:28 AM
Steve Sawyer

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I recall correctly, I was about 165 in high school (5'8"), and was pretty fit, running track and cross-country.

As soon as I turned 18 I started battling weight gain. I've been no lower than 170 as an adult. I managed to get down to that weight at about 25, again at 39, and topped out at 245 when I was about 52. Started to get things under control and came down to 200 at that point, then when it started to creep back up a bit in the last couple of years, I started to focus again and am now bouncing around between 177 and 180. When I was in Weight Watchers (in my late 30's), the "official" goal weight for me was 160, but my instructor gave me a waiver, feeling that 170 had all the appearance of a healthy weight for me, and I'm willing to go with that opinion as even in high school I was "round", never being a person that anyone would describe as thin.

Despite following the same dietary regimen I've been living with for the last year, that last 10 just doesn't want to come off. Looking at myself, I'm clearly carrying around some excess weight. I've been attending three fitness classes every week (suspension training, spinning and either circuit training or yoga) during the winter, and I'm hoping that getting back on the bike when it warms up will help make that happen.

Overweight is a BMI of 25 or more. My current weight (as of this morning) of 178 yields a BMI of 27, and I'd need to get down to 160 to get a BMI of 24. Given how much trouble I'm having getting down to 170 on an 1800-calorie per-day diet, 160 seems completely unattainable without one hell of a lot of additional effort.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.