Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Brooks saddles, various questions

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-03-13, 12:25 PM
LDB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Strictly an opinion question, and we know about those, but would a Brooks look out of place on a bike like a Cannondale Quick 4? How effective are the sprung Brooks from an increased comfort standpoint? How much, if any, do the springs reduce efficiency? Where is the best place to buy?
Old 03-03-13, 12:41 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
By the time you have got your butt on it--A Brooks would not look out of place on any bike.

Mind you--I would carry a paper bag to put over it at the cafe stops.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-03-13, 12:43 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Strictly an opinion question, and we know about those, but would a Brooks look out of place on a bike like a Cannondale Quick 4? How effective are the sprung Brooks from an increased comfort standpoint? How much, if any, do the springs reduce efficiency? Where is the best place to buy?
Out of place? Unless you are entering it in a beauty contest, you are the only judge.

Comfort effectiveness? Very effective, if my experiences with B66, B72, and B73 are worth anything.

Reduce "efficiency"? Haven't a clue, but unless you are in a race, what difference does it make?

Best place to buy? Don't know since the last one I bought was the B73 in Germany over 14 years ago for an equivalent of $50. Did find an unused B72 for $10 about 8 years ago in a U.S LBS in a box of saddles removed from other bikes.
Old 03-03-13, 03:02 PM
velonomad
Older I get, Better I was

Bikes: '14 BD Lurch Fatbike, '10 homemade road,'03 homemade tourer, '94 Yokota Tandem, '88 homemade MTB

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I have never seen that bike so I can't judge the looks. I have sprung Brooks saddles on my Touring bike and my MTB. On my road bike the B17 works good for me. Efficiency is all but forgotten when your arse feels like you have just lost a butt-kicking contest with a NFL placekicker.
Old 03-03-13, 03:12 PM
big john

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
If you've found a saddle that works for you the looks shouldn't be a concern.
Old 03-03-13, 03:24 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Brooks saddles feel great and look classy. I have a Pro on Capo #1 and a large rivet Team Pro on my mountain bike, and they are my two favorite saddles of all time.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-03-13, 03:45 PM
LDB

Let me expand on looks. I was thinking more in terms of is it too nice, expensive etc. for that bike not look funny etc.
Old 03-03-13, 03:59 PM
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Originally Posted by big john View Post
If you've found a saddle that works for you the looks shouldn't be a concern.
+1!! If you are riding the bike more than you are displaying it then it doesn't matter what the saddle looks like. Your butt will be covering it!
"Foolish, selfish people are always thinking of themselves and the result is always negative. Wise persons think of others, helping them as much as they can and the result is happiness. Love and compassion are beneficial both to you and others. Through your kindness to others, your mind and heart will open to peace. " ~ Dalai Lama

Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 03-03-13, 04:28 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Generally, most folks here would support the notion that if the saddle fits and provides the level of comfort you seek, then looks are secondary. You can take this to mean that the look of an expensive saddle on an inexpensive bike or an inexpensive saddle on an expensive bike is not as important as the utility. In regards to srpung seats and comfort, this depends on the type of riding you do. My experience is that sprung seats are most comfortable when doing pretty upright riding. If, however, you're ridning in a more "tucked" or bent over position, I suspect comfort would not be as good. The best place to get one also varies. Some places allow for the return of a Brooks if you are not happy with it within a given period of time. Wish there were firm singular answers to your questions, but then we wouldn't need a "discussion" forum would we?
Old 03-03-13, 05:25 PM
LDB

I'm kind of glad there aren't absolute answers like 8,342 or Boise, ID. because that wouldn't be nearly as interesting or enjoyable as the back and forth. I'm going to give the stock saddle a go but if I decide to replace it I may try a Brooks and if anyone wonders why I spent 1/3 of the price of the bike on the saddle that will just give them something to do.
Old 03-03-13, 05:32 PM
bikeyboy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not too expensive. In my mind the sprung saddles go on the more upright bikes. The quick 4 looks in between. I have brooks on my old bikes, but also like the modern saddles on my newer bikes. You might like the saddle that comes on the Quick 4, I would give it a fair try before swapping.
Old 03-03-13, 05:44 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Let me expand on looks. I was thinking more in terms of is it too nice, expensive etc. for that bike not look funny etc.
You're thinking the classy-looking saddle might make the rest of the bike look crummy. I wonder if that's what people think when they see Mrs. Grouch out with me.
Old 03-03-13, 06:21 PM
LDB

I kind of figured on giving the stock saddle this season and before next riding season I'll know just how serious I am and whether I want a different saddle at all or even a different bike by then.
Old 03-03-13, 06:22 PM
LDB

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
You're thinking the classy-looking saddle might make the rest of the bike look crummy. I wonder if that's what people think when they see Mrs. Grouch out with me.
I resemble that remark.
Old 03-05-13, 08:21 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
On a quick scan I didn't see any "where to buy" recommendations, so I'll throw in wallbike.com. Good selection, fair prices, and the unbeatable 6-month return policy.
Old 03-05-13, 07:54 PM
Dellphinus

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
+1 on Wall bikes.
As to springs and efficiency- I had a B67 on my Expedition. I found the sadldle extremely comfortable. But I did notice the bounce while climbing. I eventually replaced the "suspension"fork with a fixed, and replaced the B67 with a B17. I miss the cush, but not the bounce on hills.
Old 03-05-13, 08:49 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,Trek 950, Trek FX3, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Univega Supra Sport, Corso Special Valentino, Bike E

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
On the touring bike, I like the spring, due to the more upright position. I think I would as well on a Hybrid or flat bar bike like a Quick 5
Old 03-05-13, 10:45 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Way too much thinking here.
Old 03-06-13, 02:44 PM
Cross Creek

Bikes: 2013 Rivendell Sam, 1996 Bianchi Milano, 1994 Trek 820

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm a big fan of B68 (discontinued but still out there if you look carefully) and B67 saddles. The only difference is that the B67 is sprung--both use the same top. I tend to prefer the B67 only on my most upright rides, and do notice the saddle rocking on bikes with even a little forward-bent position (in which cases I go with the B68). ... "if anyone wonders why I spent 1/3 of the price of the bike on the saddle"--if horsemen thought like that, there'd be a lot more saddle sores! A lot of people spend way more on their saddle (and boots) than they do to buy their horses (notice I didn't say maintain). Your saddle is very personal and you should ride what feels best.
Old 03-06-13, 05:49 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,Trek 950, Trek FX3, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Univega Supra Sport, Corso Special Valentino, Bike E

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I gotta agree with CrossCreek, the more time you spend on your saddle, the less important the price tag. Price is no object when it come to where you sit. A Brooks costs less than getting a boil lanced. With the Brooks, you only cry once. Keep the stock saddle, use the Brooks, and if you don't like the Quick, sell it with the stock saddle. Keep the Brooks. Breaking in can be difficult, but once you are there, you are riding a great saddle.
Old 03-06-13, 07:00 PM
J.P.
Retrogrouch

I'm kind of glad there aren't absolute answers like 8,342 or Boise, ID. because that wouldn't be nearly as interesting or enjoyable as the back and forth. I'm going to give the stock saddle a go but if I decide to replace it I may try a Brooks and if anyone wonders why I spent 1/3 of the price of the bike on the saddle that will just give them something to do.
I've got a Brooks on my 1975 Fuji Dynamic 10 that cost more than half as much as the bike (although if you adjust for inflation it's not that out of whack).
Old 03-07-13, 04:47 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
And you can just hope they are enjoying it!
Old 03-26-13, 02:40 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2777 Post(s)
saddle doesn't look out of place when your butt is on it and when your butt isn't on it put your bike away
Old 03-26-13, 03:20 PM
ThatBritBloke
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Well, the Quick 4 ain't that unclassy, if a carbon fork is anything to go by ...

However, who cares about looks if it's comfy for the rider?
Old 03-26-13, 05:55 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
This is not 'show and tell' . . . this is 'ride and go!'
I can care less what kinda saddle you ride and I bet you don't care what kinda saddle I ride . . .

My wife did ride a Brooks B-72 years ago on our tandem; she broke a seatrail after only 30,000+ miles.
We were on a local hilly century with about 30 miles to go. Her solution?
"Find a rock to fit between rear of saddle and our rear carrier."
Oh, nobody even noticed that big rock . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service