Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

An observation- bicycling is a very popular form of exercise for older people.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-13, 12:58 PM

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts

Almost every weekend I ride around the San Diego bay- the Bayshore Bikeway it's called. It's a great route, because 70% of it is bike path- no cars, plus it's all flat. Anyway, part of the ride is a ferry that sails across the bay. The ferry's lower deck is a bicycle parking area so it accumulates the cyclists all in one place.
Just from observation, I would say that over 40% of the cyclists I see are in the 50+ age group.

Old Guys Rule!
Old 03-05-13, 01:10 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I went running last Wednesday. I was sore for 4 days. I'll never do it again. I love my bike.

We should love everybody.

Old 03-05-13, 01:12 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Noticed that when I did my first supported tour back in 1989.

"Awful lot of old farts on this trip." I thought.

Now I is one.

Old 03-05-13, 01:17 PM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Sorry to be contributing to the ongoing geezer problem, but I've only figured out one way of not contributing and I don't care for it.
Old 03-05-13, 01:19 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I went running last Wednesday. I was sore for 4 days. I'll never do it again. I love my bike.

We should love everybody.
I don't know if I can count the number of people I ride with, mostly old coots like me, that used to be runners. But when the knees start to go they come over to cycling to stay active. The few I know that still run are younger and want to add tri events to their racing year. But I agree cycling seems pretty popular with the 50+ group.
Old 03-05-13, 01:27 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I commute by Metrolink Train, and before that, the San Diego Coaster. Those trains accommodate bikes, and I noticed a similar demographic.
Old 03-05-13, 01:32 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Shp4man
Almost every weekend I ride around the San Diego bay- the Bayshore Bikeway it's called. It's a great route, because 70% of it is bike path- no cars, plus it's all flat. Anyway, part of the ride is a ferry that sails across the bay. The ferry's lower deck is a bicycle parking area so it accumulates the cyclists all in one place.
Just from observation, I would say that over 40% of the cyclists I see are in the 50+ age group.

Old Guys Rule!
Ever run into or see fellow 50+ Digital Gee?
Old 03-05-13, 01:36 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
I don't know if I can count the number of people I ride with, mostly old coots like me, that used to be runners. But when the knees start to go they come over to cycling to stay active. The few I know that still run are younger and want to add tri events to their racing year. But I agree cycling seems pretty popular with the 50+ group.
I have gone back to running as well as cycling, and I am neither young nor do I have any triathlon ambitions. I've done so for two reasons. First, cycling is non weight-bearing and arguably detrimental to bone density. High-impact resistance exercise like running is very good for bone density. Second, the way that cycling uses the muscles in the leg is very specific. One almost never fully extends the hamstrings, for example, or contracts the quads eccentrically rather than concentrically. I have a theory (this is pure speculation, not to be confused with knowledge or expertise) that doing no exercise but cycling will ultimately lead to the atrophy of certain muscles and connective tissues and weaken one's legs for other activities. It's possible, even likely, that running is detrimental to my performance as a clapped-out racing cyclist, but in terms of my long-term well-being I think it's a good thing. And doing it once every week or ten days is sufficient to ensure that one is not troubled by the muscle soreness Dudelsack has suffered.

Getting back on-topic, I don't think there are nearly enough old farts on bikes. Then again, I don't think there are nearly enough cyclists of all ages. Cycling should be compulsory.
Old 03-05-13, 02:24 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
I have gone back to running as well as cycling, and I am neither young nor do I have any triathlon ambitions. I've done so for two reasons. First, cycling is non weight-bearing and arguably detrimental to bone density. High-impact resistance exercise like running is very good for bone density. Second, the way that cycling uses the muscles in the leg is very specific. One almost never fully extends the hamstrings, for example, or contracts the quads eccentrically rather than concentrically. I have a theory (this is pure speculation, not to be confused with knowledge or expertise) that doing no exercise but cycling will ultimately lead to the atrophy of certain muscles and connective tissues and weaken one's legs for other activities. It's possible, even likely, that running is detrimental to my performance as a clapped-out racing cyclist, but in terms of my long-term well-being I think it's a good thing. And doing it once every week or ten days is sufficient to ensure that one is not troubled by the muscle soreness Dudelsack has suffered.

Getting back on-topic, I don't think there are nearly enough old farts on bikes. Then again, I don't think there are nearly enough cyclists of all ages. Cycling should be compulsory.
I understand but I went back to using a gym because of the hard impact on the knees running, an activity I don't enjoy, seems to impart on so many runners. I was just using an observation for people in my area however. But then again 75 percent of my cycling friends are my age and I think it is a bit like buying a special car. Once you have one you see them everywhere. However looking at the national statistics on cycling in the US I don't se many young people cycling either. Not if many equals more than 5 percent of the population.
Old 03-05-13, 02:57 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Spinning class tonight and I would say that 50% of us were over 50. And they were not there for the ride either. Hard class with a hard instructor and this is the first time I have been able to book the class in 3 weeks. No wonder--It's full of old people with time on their hands.

Local racing club has a good number of "Elderly" riders--The gym has a fair number of older members--And on my local rides I see a fair number of elderly people riding bikes. They may be going slow and on Cheaper hybrid bikes but they are out riding.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-05-13, 03:00 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go check out bikeirvine.org. That is the Bike Club of Irvine's website. Check out the photos... I think the average age of the club (these are serious minded riders - alot of century and double century riders) is around 70+... They are alittle too old for me but actually I can't keep up!!!!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 03-05-13, 03:36 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Pamestique
go check out bikeirvine.org. That is the Bike Club of Irvine's website. Check out the photos... I think the average age of the club (these are serious minded riders - alot of century and double century riders) is around 70+... They are alittle too old for me but actually I can't keep up!!!!
I've ridden with them a couple of times. Pretty comfortable crowd to ride with, and a broad range of speed groups. (I take it that last comment was just jibe'n)
Old 03-05-13, 03:56 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I've seen the same thing up here in cold country, many older riders. I think mountain biking is more popular with the younger ones here.
Old 03-05-13, 04:48 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I have to agree with the OP, it could be because I am biased to see the older riders being one, but lately it seems that the riders I see are mostly 40-50+ cyclist (department of redundancy department) maybe because Pensacola is a popular area for military retirees and our population in the 50+ is larger/growing. It is peachy keen with me, I enjoy having riders my age just like I enjoy the 50+ forum, warts and all (mine not the others here.) The manager at my favorite LBS is my age and we swap lies about the good old days when I am there. Beats having a young hipster trying to tell me I need deep carbon wheels or a Drewed single speed. Eccchhhh.

Why shouldn't cycling be the choice for 50+ people, easy on most knees, no impact for the (my) back and the chance to wear really sexy lycra shorts and tights (come on Rydabent you know you want to, admit it, you're just jealous)

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-05-13, 10:37 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Many of the riders around here look young.

Oh! Wait! That observation is a sign of something, isn't it?
Old 03-05-13, 10:44 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Im only 80 . . . yup there's a few folks older than me still riding her in Arizona.
Old 03-05-13, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I mostly see riders of two ages: Baby Boomers (50-65) and their off-spring, the Millennials. For some reason, those from the half-generation prior to the boomers and their off-spring just don't seem to be on bikes in the places I have been. Of course I have a totally unsupported working hypothesis for why this is what I am seeing. (Other than the obvious one that my vision is poor and getting worse.)

I suspect that the Boomers, who were young when the ten-speed boom happened in the '60s, are returning to the bike as they age because they remember how much fun it was and they are under doctors' orders to get some exercise. Riding a bike does allow for a very wide range of outputs, even more so than walking. Those who are a bit older or younger than the Boomers missed the bike boom of our youth and just don't get it. Sadly, this is already being seen in morbidity and mortality data.

I think the Millennials are on bikes for a totally different reason. These kids understand climate change and other environmental issues and have the idealism to match their actions to their hopes. I believe that the percentage of them who are getting driver's licenses is falling every year. They've also made bikes socially acceptable, at least among their peers, so they aren't perceived as strange if they ride.
Old 03-06-13, 06:13 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I enjoy cycling and don't like running because I find running boring and old football injuries wouldn't allow me to do it anyway. Running is great exercise but not my thing.
Old 03-06-13, 07:49 AM

Bikes: BH Crystal & hoping to get my own MTB soon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i dont hv any stats to back me up but even here in malaysia, generally the over 50s group prefer cycling to running...its probably mainly the knee factor but perhaps also bcos now that the family's all grown, they can afford to buy good bikes which are pretty expensive here.

i love running but these days i also find cycling extremely satisfying....it takes me to far-away places that my legs alone cant take me lol
Old 03-06-13, 08:53 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Now with trikes becomming more and more popular, there is no reason for an older person not to ride. Trikes allow anyone to ride with all the pain associated with a DF bike.
Old 03-06-13, 09:06 AM
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Im only 80 . . . yup there's a few folks older than me still riding her in Arizona.
Really? I'm impressed ...
Old 03-06-13, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately as a hobby cycling takes alot of time which young folks with kids and jobs often do not have.
Old 03-07-13, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
oilman_15106
Unfortunately as a hobby cycling takes alot of time which young folks with kids and jobs often do not have.
True!

Stand on almost any corner in Portland, Oregon on a weekday morning Observing the bike commuters, and the perspective that biking is only for old farts might change.
Old 03-08-13, 06:44 AM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
The youngsters nowadays all grew up in the videogame and parental-fear-of-letting-kids-go-outside-unsupervised era, so they never got the serious bicycling bug in their blood.
Old 03-08-13, 06:57 AM

Bikes: road and mtn.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i do mtn biking most weekends. over the years i have seen a definite increase in the number of older people at the trail. 40's, 50's, and even older; not just one or two but a sizeable number. that is a very good sign that people are getting out and doing something positive for themselves. makes me feel good to see that. i'm 58 and my riding buddies are in their late 40's to early 50's. i would ride most everyday if i didn't have to work. oh well, daylight savings time starts this weekend (it's the most wonderful time of the year ...) so can get a lot more riding in after work starting next week. been doing a couple days spinning class during lunch - it is good but not the same as sunshine and fresh air.

gw

gw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.