Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Can't find stock bikes with Campy

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-08-13, 05:54 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 263 Posts

Looking for a gift bike for my son upon graduation in a few years and I cannot seem to find much available with Campy components as stock. Looking for the mid range stuff as the Chorus and Record stuff is too pricey. Any ideas?
Old 03-08-13, 06:00 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 272 Posts
Bianchi's Infinito is available with Athena.

I have Record on the C59 and the Infinito and Athena on the Bottecchia.

I can tell you that the quality of Athena is wayyy up there.

The Colnago Ace may come with Veloce.

You are a nice Dad getting your son a nice bike.

My Mom bought my Bott many years ago. She passed away a few years back and everytime thar Inride the Bott I think of her gift to me.

I will never, ever sell that bike.

Hope you find the right bike for your son.
Old 03-08-13, 06:39 PM
TiHabanero

Thanks for the words of support and the brands to check out. I see what you mean Athena is way up there. Did not realize Campy was so high priced. Have been out of industry too long I guess. Good thing he is slated to graduate in two years! One thing I won't go for is electronic shifting. If they go bluetooth, then I will look at it, but I remember the BS with Shimano Flight Deck wiring. No thanks.
The idea is a heirloom bike for him that will pass to his kids. Of course it will be painted in the colors of his alma mater: Purdue!
Old 03-08-13, 06:43 PM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
If you have time why not buy a frame and select the parts. I just got a complete centaur gruppo from Ribble for under $600.
Old 03-08-13, 06:48 PM
eja_ bottecchia

You can try pricing Campy Athena from the UK. prices are a lot less than in the US. Especially now that Campy is offering an electronic Athena gruppo, the mechanical shift gruppo has gone down on price.

The Athena 11V shifts fantastic and the brakes grab like anchors. I don't see the need for electronic shifting either.

You could buy the frame and the components separetely and save some money.

What are the Boilermakers colors?

EDIT: Rebel beat me to the punch.
Old 03-08-13, 06:49 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
The idea is a heirloom bike for him that will pass to his kids.
I would consider getting him a really nice frame. This will let him build it as he pleases.

My dad gave me his Tommasini a few years ago. With his permission, I stripped it of the modern campy record (carbon) group and rebuilt it with alloy parts like it wore when he first built it in the 90s. I try not to get stuck on possessions, but this one means a lot to me.

Old 03-08-13, 06:53 PM
eja_ bottecchia

^^^ sexy! ^^^
Old 03-08-13, 06:58 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
^^^ sexy! ^^^
Thanks! I actually lucked out. The record crankset and shifters were the first ones he built the bike with. The other parts were my choosing. The goal was to replicate his build but with a little of my flair.
Old 03-08-13, 08:59 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Campagnolo group prices are pretty much in line with or just a little higher than comparable Shimano groups. Athena price falls between 105 and Ultegra in the mechanical groups, but Athena EPS costs a little more than Ultegra Di2. Record actually comes a little under the price of Dura Ace in both mechanical and electronic while Super Record costs a bit more. None of them are cheap.
While electronic shifting is certainly not "needed", it sure is nice. I've helped set up and test rode a couple of bikes with Ultegra Di2 and it's pretty slick. I have not experienced EPS, but I dream about it.
Old 03-08-13, 09:16 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: 1980 Medici Pro Strada, 1984 Tommasini Prestige, 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 150 Posts
You can get almost any frame that Adrenalinebikes.com carries, carbon fiber, Columbus CroMo, titanium and aluminum, built in Veloce, Athena, Chorus, Record or Super Record Campy grouppos. They carry Bianchi, Litespeed, Torelli, Tomasini, Lynskey, Soma. Sabbath, Ritchey, Pake and several other brands. They have an up-charge for Campagnolo build sets from the various Shimano and SRAM levels they usually build up with. They have both ready built and frame sets available to choose from.

Disclaimer: I am not associated in anyway shape or form with Adrenaline Bikes, I just thought you might want a potential lead on a Campy bike for a deserving son. Purdue is one more top notch school. Will he be one of my brother engineers by any chance?

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 03-11-13 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-08-13, 10:34 PM
TiHabanero

Yep, he will graduate with a Computer Engineering degree. What he is going through, just as a Sophomore, is bordering on inhumane. The work load is way, way up there and the material is way, way out there, too!
I said I would like to build him a frame, but he commented that he already has my 1979 Raleigh Pro to ride if he wants steel and he is riding a steel frame Allez right now. He doesn't want Ti, either. So tuperware it will be for him.
I have been looking into separate frame/parts and assembling it from there. This will take some time, which, thankfully I have right now.
Old 03-09-13, 04:18 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I would consider getting him a really nice frame. This will let him build it as he pleases.

My dad gave me his Tommasini a few years ago. With his permission, I stripped it of the modern campy record (carbon) group and rebuilt it with alloy parts like it wore when he first built it in the 90s. I try not to get stuck on possessions, but this one means a lot to me.

That is awesome. Congrats.
Old 03-09-13, 06:45 AM
TiHabanero

That bike needs to be suspended from the ceiling with fishing line just as it is.
Old 03-09-13, 06:52 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8547 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,235 Posts
Deserves re-posting. Sssweet!

Originally Posted by rebel1916 View Post
I just got a complete centaur gruppo from Ribble for under $600.
That's good too keep in mind.
Old 03-09-13, 07:13 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916 View Post
If you have time why not buy a frame and select the parts. I just got a complete centaur gruppo from Ribble for under $600.
Sheesh! That's less than wholesale in the US. No wonder it's so hard to keep a bike shop afloat!
Old 03-09-13, 08:07 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Sheesh! That's less than wholesale in the US. No wonder it's so hard to keep a bike shop afloat!
Yeah, the distribution of parts in the US is crazy expensive compared to the UK. When they can sell brand new, in the box, for literally half the price we would pay retail here, there is something skewed in the market. Nothing against the guy down the street, I just bought a kids push bike and a stem from him, but I cant afford to pay him an extra $5 or 600. Seems like there oughta be some middle ground...
Old 03-09-13, 08:11 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: 1980 Medici Pro Strada, 1984 Tommasini Prestige, 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra

Wiggle is the same way as Ribble with the group sets and pricing. The 41 has many people that have gotten Campagnolo from one of them at a bargain basement price. Does anyone know the customs tariff on a group set now?

Bill

Old 03-09-13, 06:53 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
This is slightly off-topic, but very apropos to your comment.

For reasons too long ot explain here, the cost of some of my asthma medication has skyrocketed.

I am going to start buying my asthma med from a Canadian pharmacy.

The med is made in the USA (No. Carolina), it will be shipped from NC to the UK and then to Canada and then to me in California.

Even with all of this traveling around, it is cheaper for me to buy it from Canada, than too buy it at a California pharmacy.

The same appears to be true with Campy (and other) components.
Old 03-10-13, 09:28 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
The Athena 11V shifts fantastic and the brakes grab like anchors. I don't see the need for electronic shifting either.
Our LBS sells Merckx bikes with Campy components. To me that's like apple pie with ice cream. Yummy.

My personal budget doesn't fall into this category, so I recently rebuilt my Cannondale CAAD8 with Athena 11spd groupo. Love it!
Old 03-10-13, 09:32 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts

What a gorgeous bike! I have a friend with a Tommasini - says he's going to sell it because he has too many bikes. Funny though, almost everytime we ride he's on the Tommasini. I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 03-11-13, 01:09 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Does anyone know the customs tariff on a group set now?
I've never paid anything in customs or tariffs when purchasing from the UK. I've been buying from Ribble for years, now.
Old 03-11-13, 01:40 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Remember the exchange rate when buying from the UK. Your $ buys a lot more than our does right now.

But bikes and if you are priced at $2,000--It will be 2,000 over here.

I use a few UK Online stores but you have to be careful on what you are buying. I wanted a front deraileur for a triple and none of the online stores carried one in 105 or Ultegra. I have found Wiggle to be a bit more expensive than some of the others and My favourite used to be Chain Reaction.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/?...s%20comp%20(1)

PBK are pretty good but once again limited on what they carry

https://www.probikekit.com/uk/?utm_so...affil=thgemail

My Favourite is Merlins. Used to be solely MTB but have in the last few years been carrying Road bits aswell. Wheel deals galore here and for handbuilt MTB wheels are the one of the best

https://www.merlincycles.com/

But before buying from online stores for items not solely used in cycling--I check E-Bay for new Items. The Go Pro and the Garmin came from non cycling suppliers and I got a better deal.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-11-13, 05:15 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by tsl View Post
I've never paid anything in customs or tariffs when purchasing from the UK. I've been buying from Ribble for years, now.
Thanks tsl, that is good to know, I wanted to order some things from them and I just wanted to know what to expect.

Bill

Old 03-11-13, 04:22 PM
Merckx fan 0511

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well what are you looking to spend?
Old 03-11-13, 04:46 PM
TiHabanero

Was hoping to get away with something under 3k. Looks like the Euro brands are priced out of reach. So used to buying things at wholesale, I have forgotten how tough it is to be a retail purchaser. I can see buying from the sites listed above should allow me to stay on budget.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.