Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   False starts. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/879269-false-starts.html)

Linedog 03-22-13 09:38 AM

False starts.

Ok after too many false starts I went for my first ride in years yesterday. Yup I still remember how to ride! I first ordered cheap tubes off eBay and installed them. One popped while being filled, great. So back to the forum, did a search on tubes and ordered a pair of Schwalbe tubes, so far so good. Installed them last night and did a quick check over Retro Bob and off I went. Work jeans, boots, T-shirt and a ear to ear grin. Wow even in 43 degree weather I still managed to sweat a bit! Now to see if my feet will still fit my Shimano shoes, if I can remember to clip in/out of my SPD's and put my GoPro on my helmet. Ah yes the simple joy of the wind in my face with no noise.

qcpmsame 03-22-13 09:43 AM

Great news LD, hope the return goes well for you. Enjoy the rides and post some pictures and a ride report when you get the chance. please.

Bill

NOS88 03-22-13 09:56 AM

First, welcome back to the wonderful world of cycling and to the 50+ forum. Yeah, that first ride back tends to spread a big grin across your face.

BlazingPedals 03-22-13 03:08 PM

Welcome back! Word to the wise: tubes don't pop unless the tire is incorrectly mounted. Lots of advice to Google under "pinched tube."

TromboneAl 03-22-13 05:09 PM

I just got tubes for $3 each from Art's Cyclery. Bought in volume (packs of five each), googled "Coupon Art's Cyclery" to get the $1 discount, and ordered a water bottle to take it over $50 and get free shipping.

Road Inner Tube 5 Pack 700x20/28 32mm Prest 3 3 15.00 45.00
15% Off Customer Appreciation Discount 1 1 -1.05 -1.05
Art's 30th Water Bottle 22oz Purist Clear/R 1 1 6.99 6.99
Sub Total = 50.94
Sales Tax = 3.90
Ship Via: UPS Ground = 0.00
Payment Method: Paypal = 54.84

I've never had any problems with cheap tubes.

Linedog 03-23-13 08:53 PM

@BlazingPedals, the tube split right along a seam for about an inch. The new tubes work fine and hold air great!

GeorgeBMac 03-23-13 09:00 PM

That's great! If you have clipless pedals and know how to change a tube then you must have a fair amount of experience -- so you know what you got yourself into... Best of Luck to you -- May the wind always be at your back!

qcpmsame 03-23-13 09:00 PM

Schwalbe makes gos stuff, enjoy the tubes. I have trouble with stone cuts on their Lugano tyres so I switched to Gatorskins. I understand their upper level tyres are great, several members here use them, successfully. In case you didn't know you can order direct from Schwalbe's web site too. Kind of pricey there but when noone else has something special it is there. I used Amazon to get my spare Lugano tyre I still have put away.

Bill

Dudelsack 03-23-13 09:33 PM

Sounds like linedog was an innocent victim of circumstance, whereas I mercilessly butchered two inner tubes trying to get the d@mn Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires off my wheels in order to replace them with some skinny Michelins. Good thing the Cards were winning at the time or it could have gotten ugly.

You don't have enough posts for PMs. My son is moving out to Gig Harbor in May to work at a church, I think it's called Believers Fellowship. He's either taking my LeMonster, or maybe a new road bike for a graduation present. You'll have to give us the inside scoop on the cycling scene there.

billydonn 03-23-13 10:44 PM

Linedog,
Way to go getting back into it. Work boots? Jeans? T-shirt? Seems a long way from thinking about Shimano shoes and SPDs... you have some experience riding I take it. Anyway, well done... and good choice on the Schwalbe tubes... excellent stuff!

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 15423851)
Schwalbe makes gos stuff, enjoy the tubes. I have trouble with stone cuts on their Lugano tyres so I switched to Gatorskins. I understand their upper level tyres are great, several members here use them, successfully. In case you didn't know you can order direct from Schwalbe's web site too. Kind of pricey there but when noone else has something special it is there. I used Amazon to get my spare Lugano tyre I still have put away.

Bill

+1 on the Schwalbe quality. FYI Ultemo DDs are the equal of Gatorskins and then some IMO.