Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Norco bikes ?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Norco bikes ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Norco bikes ?

Does Norco make good bikes ? just looking for a hybrid bike not too expensive . The Norco Yorkville caught my eye ? Thanks .
Old 03-22-13, 04:36 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Can be, Brands are import contracts now, a Handful of factories make dozens of brands

Good/Bad is often the care the Dealer gives to the assembly from the shipping carton , and service rendered after the sale.

As Said, First pick the Bike Shop. then select the Bicycle.
Old 03-22-13, 08:57 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Can be, Brands are import contracts now, a Handful of factories make dozens of brands

Good/Bad is often the care the Dealer gives to the assembly from the shipping carton , and service rendered after the sale.

As Said, First pick the Bike Shop. then select the Bicycle.

To the OP - Norco is mfgd. in British Columbia and is noted for their mtn. bikes. Not too prominent in US, but respected name in Canada, UK and Australia. The hybrid bike you're looking at is probably pretty vanilla, but an OK bike made by a Canadian company, but probably not made in Canada.

Last edited by CbadRider; 03-24-13 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Deleted snarky comment
Old 03-22-13, 09:30 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I rode a Norco 140mm travel full suspension 650B mountain bike last month at the SE Bike Expo on the course used for the 1996 Olympic MTB races. Very nice handling bike with good design features and component spec.
Old 03-23-13, 01:22 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Just looking at the specs, I'm not terribly impressed. Even at that price point, I would not want a 7-speed freewheel or a hi-ten fork. There's "inexpensive" and then there's "cheap."
Old 03-23-13, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I rented and rode a Norco "comfort bike" along the Lachine Canal in Montreal a few years back and it was fine for what it was. My wife liked hers, too. For that type of riding, I think the Norco brand might be OK for you.

PS:

>>>>So - you have absolutely no knowledge of Norco bikes. Why don't you just say so instead of pontificating?<<<<<

(And we wonder why people think cyclists are so angry.)
Old 03-24-13, 03:47 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Most of the bikes within a certain style and specification will be the same no matter which brand they are. For the price it is a bike that will work but within limits. The components are not top grade but are not in the "Forget" it grade either. 20 years ago Tourney/Altus gearing was a bonus and I had cheaper on my bikes. Wheels and Formula hubs are OK and the rest of the components are passable. At this price I have an aversion to suspension seat posts as they will go up and down and that is about it. Bit like a "Pogo Stick" that can cause problems and that is if they do work for any length of time. Easy item to change if required so no worries.

There are other bikes around that are similar price and grade and the only way to tell if it is the bike for you is to test ride----up against a few other similar bikes. This is where fietsbob is right in having the right LBS comes in. It is often not the bike that will sell itself to you- it is the shop that will give you the service that will help you choose the bike.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-24-13, 06:55 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I cleaned up some snarky comments. If you can't post something nice ... please step away from the keyboard for a while.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 03-24-13, 07:03 PM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider
I cleaned up some snarky comments. If you can't post something nice ... please step away from the keyboard for a while.
I thought I'd missed something... Kept rereading the first 5 posts.
Old 03-24-13, 07:31 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
As a fellow Canuck (not that kind - I'm a Red Wing fan), I'm pretty familiar with this classic brand. Norco covers all the bases in its range of bikes, and I believe you will be better off at any price point than buying a 'department store' bike. A friend of mine has a Norco hybrid from the early 1990's with the 7-speed cassette and does some light touring on it and likes it just fine. I have a 1990 Raleigh Sentinel hybrid, same specs, with a million miles on it and I'll never give it up. There's nothing like steel under you in a crosswind!
Old 03-25-13, 05:24 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
The road tests and evals I have read about Norco's bikes have been positive. I looked at their website, they have one wide range of bikes and options to choose from.
here is a link tot the site so you can judge for yourself:https://www.norco.com/

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13